• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How I hate narrow-leg trousers

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any good tailor worth his salt can recut the trouser legs and make them fuller. I’m muscular built. Have 17” calves and my tailor recuts all my trousers or they would stick to my OTC socks! Wouldn’t that look silly!

How much fuller the trouser leg can be widened depends on how much extra material is on the inside of the trouser leg seams (seam allowance or inlay). Many OTR trousers have 0.5-1" of seam allowance at most in the leg.

jdgershbein

Reaction score
Gents, the narrow leg trouser is a microcosm of how the industry is perpetuating the trends and directing us to make purchases. It's no longer about buying garments according to a numerical standard or size class (S, M, L, XL, etc.) as these specs differ greatly among manufacturers.

Nowadays, dressing well means knowing our measurements (right down to the centimeter), buying goods that are right for our bodies, and developing a unique style that aligns with the impression we wish to create in the world.

WatchmeWhipWatchmena

Reaction score
I am so sick of narrow-leg trousers that I am beyond puking. When will they ever go away? Year after year, I say to myself that this stupid, repulsive, annoying fashion has to end; and every fall there are more narrow-leg trousers. Just today I got an ad in my Facebook feed for this business that makes trousers with beautiful ghurka design---but narrow legs.

No doubt there will be those who say, "If you don't like narrow-leg trousers, don't buy them." Indeed, I don't. But what that reply fails to recognize is that narrow-leg trousers take up the market share that should go to trousers without narrow legs. Time after time, a retailer will offer beautifully designed trousers but then make the entire line repulsive with narrow legs. (Pini Parma is a good example.)

I'm fine with having narrow-leg trousers out there as an option. And if they were merely an option, as they should be, I would not object to them. I might even own a pair (as in fact I do). What I object to is their taking over the whole blasted market.

I'm aware this is an old thread. I was just searching some information on Pini Parma and I too struggle with the the trouser fits. Being from a bodybuilding type of background just means it's so hard to find trousers that will accommodate my large thighs but also slim waist. Thighs here are about 27. inches, yet waist is about 35 on average.

I really do like the Pini Parma trousers designs, I hope the waist size 38 will serve me well. I tried the 36 which was too tight. Wished manufacturers had lots of reserve fabric for widening the legs but understandably it'd be a bit more expensive. A brand I have come across which helps eliminate this issue at a slightly higher price is a brand called Natalino. I bought myself this pair of trousers:

I hope it will fit me well. They had a 52 small in stock which is ideal for me considering it will have turnups too.

Natalino.JPG

Johnny80

Reaction score
For me Isaia, Kiton and Attolini are still serving me well...even the current collections
But in general i dont use trousers with pleats because of my body type

Last edited:

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm aware this is an old thread. I was just searching some information on Pini Parma and I too struggle with the the trouser fits. Being from a bodybuilding type of background just means it's so hard to find trousers that will accommodate my large thighs but also slim waist. Thighs here are about 27. inches, yet waist is about 35 on average.

I really do like the Pini Parma trousers designs, I hope the waist size 38 will serve me well. I tried the 36 which was too tight. Wished manufacturers had lots of reserve fabric for widening the legs but understandably it'd be a bit more expensive. A brand I have come across which helps eliminate this issue at a slightly higher price is a brand called Natalino. I bought myself this pair of trousers:

I hope it will fit me well. They had a 52 small in stock which is ideal for me considering it will have turnups too.
I think with your build you’re better off with a custom maker. It will be really hard to get what you need off the rack, even with tailoring.

Spinster Jones

Reaction score
Honestly, I've mostly given up on mens pants. Have tried and tried, and returned and returned.

Have envied the variety of womens fashion, so I said ******* and bought a bunch of womens trousers. Only thing I regret is not doing it sooner.

I'm quite short, and on the lean side, so I apparently fit a size 38 in womens pants.

These ones from COS, for example, fit me better in the crotch in the womens version, than the one for men. How the f is that even possible? How can they design mens trousers this badly?

1656459331015.jpeg

Bonus edit; Bought a loose womens shirt as well, ******* fitted me better than any mens shirt has ever done. Walked downtown with some friends and two girls hollered, "nice ******* shirt", at me. Yeah, ****, it is. A whole new world just opened up, and its a better one.

Last edited:

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bonus edit; Bought a loose womens shirt as well, ******* fitted me better than any mens shirt has ever done. Walked downtown with some friends and two girls hollered, "nice ******* shirt", at me. Yeah, ****, it is. A whole new world just opened up, and its a better one.

that's very interesting food for thought ... the shirt must really click . loose means no darting i guess ? are the buttons on the contrary side ? are the side seams squared ? ack

dougc33

Reaction score
so what do you consider a minimum / maximum leg opening for a size 34 trouser? I have a classic Zanella pair that I had altered to an 8.5" that "feels" just about perfect for a wool workwear piece. Have a 9" on a fuller cotton pair of chinos that feels a bit large. What do you think?

Son Of Saphir

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not liking the trend of narrow legged trousers.
Not look good on many men.
Have given up on store bought trousers,
none of them fit me.
Me like the 10 inch opening and a nice comfortable trousers with lot of room,
look more luxurious than narrow trouser,
they flow really nice.
The wide trouser look very smart.
Trousers are very important to do right,
few men do it well.

Might try an 11 inch opening for summer trousers in future.

Last edited:

Anachronist

Reaction score
I guess this narrow leg trouser is not so much a question of bad taste, but part of the slim fit trend designed for a generation of men focused on body cult and athletic figures with no ounce of fat on them. I even see this in childrens‘ clothing when buying pants for my 12 year old son. He inherited my muscular legs and struggles to get into any pair of jeans or chinos out there, unless we size up and take in the waist later on. That said, I do agree with the thread originator in his despair and also feel the narrow leg trousers on most men without a Twiggy figure often create an ugly break below the knee and just look hilarious and everything else than elegant or well tailored.

Spinster Jones

Reaction score
That said, I do agree with the thread originator in his despair and also feel the narrow leg trousers on most men without a Twiggy figure often create an ugly break below the knee and just look hilarious and everything else than elegant or well tailored.

Agreed.

Spinster Jones

Reaction score
that's very interesting food for thought ... the shirt must really click . loose means no darting i guess ? are the buttons on the contrary side ? are the side seams squared ? ack

It's this one. ****** quality from Zara, but I had to try the style. Which is akin to a more traditional Norwegian style as well, with dropped shoulders. And the arm length fits me better as well - or, it actually fits me for once.

68B87E98-785B-49BD-8C96-B98828ED30D1.jpeg
C9EEF5ED-B5C0-4E1A-B9B9-ED5BC814BF83.jpeg
53303DA5-AA00-4E74-90EB-CB47A00B787A.jpeg
22373368-C3F0-44BD-8C8B-BAE7025AB484.jpeg

bicycleradical

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That said, I do agree with the thread originator in his despair and also feel the narrow leg trousers on most men without a Twiggy figure often create an ugly break below the knee and just look hilarious and everything else than elegant or well tailored.

Those of us with muscular legs all feel this immensely.

WatchmeWhipWatchmena

Reaction score
I think with your build you’re better off with a custom maker. It will be really hard to get what you need off the rack, even with tailoring.

Yeah I may have to go down that route.

Well I've tried on the Natalino trousers. They're quite a nice fit compared to OTR brands I've tried. The biggest problem with these trousers for me is just that I can see my boxer pants underneath from the rear. There's also the issue of having to take in the waist a bit and to shorten the trousers a little bit.
20220629_143539.jpg 20220629_143132.jpg 20220629_143141.jpg 20220629_143244.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads