• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How I hate narrow-leg trousers

bicycleradical

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hear ya. I'm bottom heavy and a good number of these trousers do not fit me at all. The S&M Contemporary cut is not too bad for me however I could use a little more room in the thigh.

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am happy with the trousers of so-called "contemporary" cut that I have gotten from Spier and MacKay; but I don't want all the trousers in my closet to be from the same maker.

Any reason you don't want trousers from the same maker? Variety? Options? Spier and Mackay is local to me. I'd say 95% of my wardrobe is from them.

Miles R.

Reaction score
I understand your frustration, but I deeply believe that trousers, regardless if narrow, something in between or wide, have a place in menswear. What really matters is the overall silhouette of person + clothes and we all know that men have different body shapes and that being mindful of different social occasions is an important factor in the choice of wardrobe as well.
My advice would be to leave the negative emotions aside (although I agree that clothing is something emotional!) and rather focus in a positive approach on what works for which body type at which social environment.
I accept your point about positive approach versus negative reaction, but you seem to have missed my third paragraph.

I'm fine with having narrow-leg trousers out there as an option. And if they were merely an option, as they should be, I would not object to them. I might even own a pair (as in fact I do). What I object to is their taking over the whole blasted market.​

Bronze Age Sartorial

Reaction score
Yep. This is the worst. Many of the popular menswear brands lauded here suffer from this problem.

It’s a shame because many of these brands produce a decent RTW trouser. It’s less of an issue regarding linen/lightweight cotton trousers since I pretty much only wear loafers during the summer. However, when it comes to flannels or corduroys, it’s not feasible.

Miles R.

Reaction score
Do you know Berg & Berg? Their measurements seem to be more generous relative to other makers in the same price range.
Thanks. I did not know of this company.

Zerase

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess the Tanger from Casatlantic could work for you as well.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm fine with having narrow-leg trousers out there as an option. And if they were merely an option, as they should be, I would not object to them. I might even own a pair (as in fact I do). What I object to is their taking over the whole blasted market.
They are everywhere because there is demand for them. High demand, high supply. Blaming the manufacturers is missing the point. I know the founder of Spier & Mackay has said here that they have had a lot of customer demand to offer slimmer trouser fits—if you follow their thread there are plenty of SF members who complain that their trousers are not slim enough.

Miles R.

Reaction score
They are everywhere because there is demand for them. High demand, high supply. Blaming the manufacturers is missing the point. I know the founder of Spier & Mackay has said here that they have had a lot of customer demand to offer slimmer trouser fits—if you follow their thread there are plenty of SF members who complain that their trousers are not slim enough.
Once again, I am caught underestimating the prevalence of bad taste.

Carl England

Reaction score
I am so sick of narrow-leg trousers that I am beyond puking. When will they ever go away? Year after year, I say to myself that this stupid, repulsive, annoying fashion has to end; and every fall there are more narrow-leg trousers. Just today I got an ad in my Facebook feed for this business that makes trousers with beautiful ghurka design---but narrow legs.

No doubt there will be those who say, "If you don't like narrow-leg trousers, don't buy them." Indeed, I don't. But what that reply fails to recognize is that narrow-leg trousers take up the market share that should go to trousers without narrow legs. Time after time, a retailer will offer beautifully designed trousers but then make the entire line repulsive with narrow legs. (Pini Parma is a good example.)

I'm fine with having narrow-leg trousers out there as an option. And if they were merely an option, as they should be, I would not object to them. I might even own a pair (as in fact I do). What I object to is their taking over the whole blasted market.

Try Ebay for baggy cut well branded trousers, found it difficult to get cotton Chinos' with a fuller cut in the UK so looked at this option. Some reliable well known brands, ie Gap, Ralph Lauren, Gant, etc. Most of these had little wear or none at all, but go for a song. Ended up with five pairs of different brands and fitting that included a thin cut stretch that I actually liked and do wear because they stretch and are very comfortable. 1 pair of bespoke chino trousers that cost only £1 because no one else bid for them and they are excellent. I then started noticing that most men were wearing these thin legged options and now the fuller mountain casual wear stuff is at the back of the wardrobe. All the best.

mikefrizellsr

Reaction score
Given that higher rises and pleats and are now widely seen, as evidenced by both of your examples, I would think a fuller leg is sure to follow soon.
Any good tailor worth his salt can recut the trouser legs and make them fuller. I’m muscular built. Have 17” calves and my tailor recuts all my trousers or they would stick to my OTC socks! Wouldn’t that look silly!

himichael

Reaction score
add the usual low waist to the narrow leg and laugh at the fashion victims that wear them. always makes me think of a gauche 26 year-old sales guy who thinks he's cool and can't wait for happy hour.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads