• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How I hate narrow-leg trousers

Miles R.

Reaction score
I am so sick of narrow-leg trousers that I am beyond puking. When will they ever go away? Year after year, I say to myself that this stupid, repulsive, annoying fashion has to end; and every fall there are more narrow-leg trousers. Just today I got an ad in my Facebook feed for this business that makes trousers with beautiful ghurka design---but narrow legs.

No doubt there will be those who say, "If you don't like narrow-leg trousers, don't buy them." Indeed, I don't. But what that reply fails to recognize is that narrow-leg trousers take up the market share that should go to trousers without narrow legs. Time after time, a retailer will offer beautifully designed trousers but then make the entire line repulsive with narrow legs. (Pini Parma is a good example.)

I'm fine with having narrow-leg trousers out there as an option. And if they were merely an option, as they should be, I would not object to them. I might even own a pair (as in fact I do). What I object to is their taking over the whole blasted market.

Miles R.

Reaction score
Given that higher rises and pleats and are now widely seen, as evidenced by both of your examples, I would think a fuller leg is sure to follow soon.
I hope so.

On the other hand, if in a year's time all the trousers on sale are balloon-legged clown pants à la the nineties, I may be sorry to have wished for the present fad to end.

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agreed. I'm not a large guy, but I have a hard time finding comfortable trousers with room in the seat and thigh. Many of today's classic/relaxed fit cuts are yesterday's slim fit. J. Crew's relaxed fit and Ralph Lauren's Classic fit both feel very slim to me.

I've resigned myself to buying "vintage" Ralph Lauren stuff on eBay. Nothing new, but plenty of old stock.

Miles R.

Reaction score
I am happy with the trousers of so-called "contemporary" cut that I have gotten from Spier and MacKay; but I don't want all the trousers in my closet to be from the same maker.

BPL Esq

Reaction score
Agreed. I'm not a large guy, but I have a hard time finding comfortable trousers with room in the seat and thigh. Many of today's classic/relaxed fit cuts are yesterday's slim fit. J. Crew's relaxed fit and Ralph Lauren's Classic fit both feel very slim to me.

I've resigned myself to buying "vintage" Ralph Lauren stuff on eBay. Nothing new, but plenty of old stock.

I have the same problem. I've found that going to a more traditional fit solves it, although the legs can then tend toward billowy. I suspect some of that is just bias caused by the ubiquitous nature of very narrow legs. I've tried to avoid narrowing them so far except in extreme circumstances. I'm not sure yet if I'll need to modify the legs on my new Bill's Khakis M2 cut chinos.

Bronze Age Sartorial

Reaction score
Given that higher rises and pleats and are now widely seen, as evidenced by both of your examples, I would think a fuller leg is sure to follow soon.

True. What pisses me off is when the trouser is cut decently up top but gives way to a 7in cuff which renders them useless with anything but loafers.

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How do you guys really feel about narrow leg openings though?

Zerase

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ooh, forward pleats! I prefer single to double, but still, I'm glad to see them.
I have them in grey flannel and dark brown corduroy. Smashing cut

Eset

Reaction score
I understand your frustration, but I deeply believe that trousers, regardless if narrow, something in between or wide, have a place in menswear. What really matters is the overall silhouette of person + clothes and we all know that men have different body shapes and that being mindful of different social occasions is an important factor in the choice of wardrobe as well.
My advice would be to leave the negative emotions aside (although I agree that clothing is something emotional!) and rather focus in a positive approach on what works for which body type at which social environment.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics