• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How high are your armholes?

jt10000

Reaction score
What are the reasons most OTR jackets don't have high armholes? Is they harder to construct, or is there a downside in fit when the arms are not raised?

Louis XIV

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lower armholes "suit" a grater range of potential customers, I guess.
Just the same as with OTR shirts which always have very wide cuffs and two buttons to accommodate for that.

smc

Reaction score
As has been (I believe) mentioned, the height of the armscye isn't the only variable in the equation. The angle the sleeve is set at makes a huge difference, as I found out when commissioning my dance tails. The sleeve on all my normal coats are set close to vertical, where the sleeves on my tails are set almost horizontal. This means that a normal coat looks great and unruffled when the arms are down by the side, but goes all to hell with I flap like a bird. Conversely, my tails look spectacular when I'm holding my arms parallel to the floor, but the combination of a high angle and the narrowness of the sleeves and armscye means I can't actually lower my arms by my side.

Bottom line, I doubt anyone will ever invent suit coat that looks perfectly unruffled no matter the arm position. The further you get from the position the coat is "designed" to look good in, the worse it's going to get. (With the possible exception of the bi-swing back, but imo that's a very odd detail for anything but a casual coat. I personally dislike the look, but to each his own).

Last edited:

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

^I've always liked that pic, but it seems a bit misleading ;) Steed did this one for me, which is very high, but as you can see it doesn't solve all mobility problems:

editneck.jpg

I only do bi-swing backs now, even for business wear.

The collar gap is not related to the armhole height. This armhole looks too narrow and I don't like the forward position of the side seam. This is contributing to the collar gap. Armholes are only part of the equation. This jacket looks like it has too wide of back and too narrow armhole.
Armhole width, shoulder line, front/back balance, collar height and the armhole all have to relate to each other to give movement and comfort. You might be compensating for an "over fitted" armhole/jacket with a bi-swing back. You could get a similar effect with an inverted pleat on the center back with out the bi-swing.

UnnamedPlayer

Reaction score
My armholes go all the way up to my shoulders?

Don't they for everyone?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads