• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How has your style changed over the last 10 years?

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
I always had a bit of a split personality, style-wise.

Ten years ago I was all Paul Smith cord suits, second-hand tweed and flat caps, vintage and repro stuff (I loved 1920s pin-collar shirts etc. and anything from Old Town) on the one hand, and on the other more SW&D side, whatever I thought was 'interesting' in TK Maxx - in other words, a mess.

Between then and now I went through the whole Styleforum CM lifecycle, from thrift to bespoke, and came out the other side; and at the same time, because of spending so much time in Japan, I got into all those Japanese workwear revival brands and indigo everything, as well as other Japanese clothes that aren't really a thing on here.

Now? I've taken a bit from all of this. But like the OP, I've got more casual and happy with what feels comfortable. I rarely wear a CM-type suit or a tie any more (although when I do, I have exactly what I need). I've found brands like Engineered Garments are often what I find myself turning to (though not always). I still like raw denim and boots. I still like Old Town and SEH Kelly and that English workwear tradition.

And I do wish I still had the Paul Smith cord suits...

what does "CM" mean?

Wupper

Reaction score
My style hasn’t changed much over the last ten years. I still like quality denim, leather boots, well fitting quality shirts. Brands like Nudie, Red Wing, LVC, Gloverall, Selected Homme and some obscure scandinavian brands are still my faves. When I was in Milan and Stockholm this year I saw all these older guys in their 50ˋs, salt ˋn pepper hair, well dressed, effortless, stylish and tasteful. No peacock crap, but well fitting quality clothes in neutral colors. I’m turning 50 next year and I pray to god that I will never end as an old guy with a baseball cap, hoodie, logo/loud branding Tees, sweat pants and (ugly) sneakers.

Last edited:

conceptionist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ten years ago I was a skate kid. Too big printed tees, slim cut pants a couple sizes too big, shredded skate shoes, long hair and usually a cap.

After some quite serious injuries and other interesting stuff entered life I got into UK club music (grime, dubstep, 2-step) and music production. This was back when Boy Better Know and Wiley were at their biggest (before the recent "revival" of grime) and when dubstep started to spread outside UK. I dressed streetwear/hypebeast and collected Nike's. Think neon windbreakers, fresh caps, air max, etc. Then came the heritage-style and all of that went out the window. Then it was raw denim, puffer vests, hiking boots, watchman beanies, and fisherman knits and the like for some years.

Checking my size for a SNS Stark led me to styleforum. Didn't take long until I wanted Raf, Schneider, Ann D, and to some extent ToJ, and the like, which IIRC were the cool stuff here around 2012-2013. Bought some "Grail"-ish stuff off B&S but sold it after a while. Most of it didn't suit me. Then around 2014 I got very into minimal and clean utilitarian clothing. Got quite a bit of Peir Wu and similar designer stuff, but also some Patagonia and the like. I still own most of it.

Lately I have been moving away from the minimal stuff a bit. I still an almost tailored fit but I use more color. On one hand my style is more casual but on the other hand its also more playful. My buys the last two years or so have almost only been Dries, partly because he consistently puts out imo great stuff, but also because it strikes that balance between cool, tailored and playful, but still pragmatic, that I like.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Did you guys keep all of the prior-style gear, or do you end up selling it off? I've noticed I've kept a decent amount of gear that I will probably never wear again, as long as it still fits. That was my biggest issue, most everything I bought from 2009 til about 2016 just became too large to wear, some of it tailorable, which I did to fave/rare pieces, but lot of it not able to shrink down a couple sizes. I've sold off a few really nice items that I wish I could still wear but being picky about fit, they were past that limit of "it's a tad large but still looks ok" so off to a better home and someone that will actually wear it.

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, I haven't been on the site all that long - just 6 years. I started updating my wardrobe from "common midwestern" about 10 years ago.
It started with shoes. AE Leeds - which I am still, coincidentally, wearing today.
First my business shoes, then casual were replaced - now the collection of shoes and boots is at least a dozen.
Business pants went from dockers (office is business casual) to brooks brothers
Casual went from baggy levis to much better fitting Lucky and several pairs of chinos
Business shirts went from polos and casual button downs to mostly BB, CT Shirts and several miscellaneous . Unless dressing casual for work, short sleeve shirts have disappeared.

For casual, I've discovered how beneficial silk and linen are in warm months so those have replaced t-shirts and polos for summer.

cargo shorts were replaced by chino style shorts.
But I still love flip-flops - olukai makes a fantastic series with great arch support and they look great. Sorry, but for casual wear in summer I'm still about shorts.

Additionally, my outerwear style has improved - puffy Northface jacket replaced by wool topcoat, wool peacoat. For Spring/fall I have an Aquascutum trench - THAT gets a lot of compliments. It's all cyclical. And, for more casual I have a Aero highwayman. Again, leather was out and is becoming more in style again.

The biggest change though, is an adoption of hats. A pair of montecristi panamas for summer and 3 different fedoras for fall/winter/spring dress. That's become a big part of my personal style. The normal midwest tennis-shoe,cargo short, t-shirt crowd gives me strange looks but again, quite a few people appreciate the hats. And, I like them and my wife likes them on me.

For what it's worth, I'm 49 years old.

R3V3RI3

Reaction score
In early years of high school, I mostly wore denim and plain tees then I started wearing graphic tees from street wear brands like Hundreds, Black Scale, etc. late in my high school years. In college I started wearing Polo shirts, button downs and denim/trousers. Late in my college years, the Sweats trend started kicking in like John Elliott and I hopped on that and also some workwear. Today, I’m all workwear and casual. I try to stay away from hypebeast stuff because they don’t gel with my other clothes. Only exception would be sneakers.

0ldb0y

Reaction score
10 years ago, urban outfitter tees, h&m pants. Today, I'm into menswear: APC raw selvedge denim, CDG chucks, CDG hearts tee.

Ittosai

Reaction score
I def had the workwear interest for quite a few years, but ultimately I felt like I was dressing in some kind of costume so while I still have a few pieces I wear, it's def not a head to toe look that I will ever wear again. Even my "look" that i've had for decades, the mod-skinhead-suedehead style, is something that I've grown slightly distant towards, and one of my friend summed it up when he said I looked like a physical trainer/pilates instructor these days lol.

I only wear jeans in the colder days, which this past winter for us in Socal was a lot of days, had a brilliantly cold and rainy winter 2018. The majority of the year I'm wearing Stone Island or Beams joggers, hemmed or rolled highwater, with New Balance MIE 576 or something like that.

What joggers would you recommend ?
Links ?

cocostella

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Started loading up on more “casual” gear myself about 5yrs ago. Elllesse and Fila polos, jackets, rugby’s, etc. Keep the trainers simple with Stans, Brooks Vanguard and Vans Authentics. Always have my SoCal surfer origins lurking with multiple Birdwell 310 and various cool tees. Welcome back GS.

Last edited:

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still wear jeans and tees all of the time. The only difference is that all the colors have converged to black. I still have a belt fetish, and now it's extended to leather bracelets and silver jewelry. I've always liked those, but I've been getting more. I guess that I have more leather jackets and invariably wear the black ones. I discovered that Kijima Takayuki headwear fits me very well, generally, and love to wear their caps, especially in suede. I more often wear a scarf. Good seeing you back, @Get Smart . I guess that we need to get Albert back in here if we are going to conjure up that 2009 gang.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
What joggers would you recommend ?
Links ?

I wear mostly Stone Island joggers. No links since they tend to sell out as soon as they’re released. Here’s a couple quick pics I had on my phone. Navy pair on my pistol squat photo. The other one is a grey. I also have in olive green, black and chambray.

Attachments

• 1ADA7561-2C69-45F5-B72A-5B6D69B783DC.jpeg
    1ADA7561-2C69-45F5-B72A-5B6D69B783DC.jpeg
    256.6 KB · Views: 411
  • CE8FDA63-E243-40A8-B908-8B889AC9B58F.jpeg
    CE8FDA63-E243-40A8-B908-8B889AC9B58F.jpeg
    885.2 KB · Views: 412

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Good seeing you back, @Get Smart . I guess that we need to get Albert back in here if we are going to conjure up that 2009 gang.

I see Albert all the time. We even did a couples trip to Tokyo last fall with our wives. But I don’t think he has much interest in forums. I think he’d be shocked that I’m back on here lol.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads