• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How has your style changed over the last 10 years?

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Since it's been 10 years since I last regularly visited this site, I was just curious how your personal style has changed over that time, esp for those long time SFers who've been around since the early 2000s when this forum started. Has age affected your style? Change in aesthetics?

For me, I've gotten a lot more casual (literally, as well as figuratively in terms of terrace football casual look). I used to like more fussy "menswear" a lot more 10+ years ago, and while I still have the same overall aesthetic and brands I buy, I dress a lot more casually. I wear a lot more sneakers/trainers than I ever used to, in simple old school styles (not a fan of modern crazy looking sneakers) While I still like proper leather shoes, I prefer some kind of rubber sole much more than leather soles (ie: Paraboot, Trickers with dainite, commando, airwair etc), and this I would probably attribute to age, even tho I am currently in the best physical shape of my life, but I've def learned to be more appreciative of comfort whereas before comfort always played a big backseat to aesthetics. Now they're def on an even level.

I never owned a hoodie/hooded jacket 10 years ago, now I have a closet full of various hooded jackets (Stone Island, Le Coq Sportif, Ellesse etc)

I never wore a ballcap style hat, but now I kind of like them, and find that it looks good with the more casual terrace style that I'm into these days.

I still like the same kind of japanese selvedge denim as always, cardigans with buttondowns, 60s style suits, crombie coats....all the usual stuff that I've been into forever, but it's now mixed with comfortable casual looks that I was never wearing much 10 years ago.

shopcanoeclub

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I used to be a skate rat kid from Ohio. I went to college, got into raw denim, boots, flannels, etc. Worked for Levi's and Red Wing through school. Per usual for a staunchly straight edge midwestern kid, I used to iron the cuff into my jeans. I was the classic jeans "of superior quality" or "lifelong longevity on quality hand made goods".

I have since stopped with all that stuff, rarely wear jeans and if I do it's just my '66 LVC 501s hemmed way fuckin' up. Mostly just Engineered Garments, Kapital, and Docs at this point in life. I think a lot of guys can relate to the idea that we got into clothing in a "manly" way in the way that it's cool to dress well if there are classic man intentions behind it. Then I matured in my personal style mostly although EG has workwear roots obviously.

In terms of ways I'd like to dress if I had the coin I'd wear Lemaire but $

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
I def had the workwear interest for quite a few years, but ultimately I felt like I was dressing in some kind of costume so while I still have a few pieces I wear, it's def not a head to toe look that I will ever wear again. Even my "look" that i've had for decades, the mod-skinhead-suedehead style, is something that I've grown slightly distant towards, and one of my friend summed it up when he said I looked like a physical trainer/pilates instructor these days lol.

I only wear jeans in the colder days, which this past winter for us in Socal was a lot of days, had a brilliantly cold and rainy winter 2018. The majority of the year I'm wearing Stone Island or Beams joggers, hemmed or rolled highwater, with New Balance MIE 576 or something like that.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
My normal look in buttondown and cardigan that most associate me with....and my casual look that I’m more into unless it’s a cool day.

Attachments

• 915B6C72-7056-436E-BB01-8DA6BB0B33E8.jpeg
    915B6C72-7056-436E-BB01-8DA6BB0B33E8.jpeg
    325.2 KB · Views: 98
  • A64C78EF-32B0-4528-9C11-336D970F0261.jpeg
    A64C78EF-32B0-4528-9C11-336D970F0261.jpeg
    178.6 KB · Views: 97

Rais

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since it's been....

I wonder if this shift to more casual and comfortable athleisure clothing is due to age as you suggest or if it is just where men's fashion has been heading for a while. It seems to me the average guy is more likely to be wearing spandex blend athletic clothing and sneakers over raw denim and heavy work boots, both for comfort and convenience. The denim jeans sections in most retail stores in Aus and Asia seem to be shrinking slowly but surely.

I wear much the same as I have been. Casual menswear when I need to and a muted activewear or athleisure uniform the rest of the time. I think that because the fact that my city has always been very focused on working out I was already conditioned to just wearing activewear casually.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
I wonder if this shift to more casual and comfortable athleisure clothing is due to age as you suggest or if it is just where men's fashion has been heading for a while.
I think that because the fact that my city has always been very focused on working out I was already conditioned to just wearing activewear casually.

for me personally, it's def due to a lifestyle change where i've been so immersed in fitness/nutrition, that has def played a huge influence in dressing more casually, and while I hate the term athleisure, I suppose that would be a pretty accurate descriptor. These days I feel like I'm always either coming from or going to working out, hence the sartorial paradigm shift.

Rais

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yea, I'm definitely the same. Always have an hour or two a day where I am active. Clothes that can look decent casually but hold up to working out or commuting on foot provide a lot of utility since I hate carrying extra gear just for training.

Clyde

Reaction score
For me, I've gotten a lot more casual (literally, as well as figuratively in terms of terrace football casual look). I used to like more fussy "menswear" a lot more 10+ years ago, and while I still have the same overall aesthetic and brands I buy, I dress a lot more casually. I wear a lot more sneakers/trainers than I ever used to, in simple old school styles (not a fan of modern crazy looking sneakers) While I still like proper leather shoes, I prefer some kind of rubber sole much more than leather soles (ie: Paraboot, Trickers with dainite, commando, airwair etc), and this I would probably attribute to age, even tho I am currently in the best physical shape of my life, but I've def learned to be more appreciative of comfort whereas before comfort always played a big backseat to aesthetics. Now they're def on an even level.

Reading your description of how your style has changed reminded me of this book:

Also wish I still had my Bjorn Borg Elites

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hey welcome back @Get Smart I wondered if you were still sussed up in Suede/Mod gear. I love that your style has shifted more football Casual and sportswear. I have a little SoCal mod revival in my past (OC Mods!) as you may or may not remember. Wow ten years, I guess my general trajectory has been toward more casual and comfortable. Still love tailored things, but on a day-to-day it's more denim, light jackets, western shirts, boots or sneakers. Also 60s coastal stuff like striped tees, windbreakers and Vans.

:cool:

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Reading your description of how your style has changed reminded me of this book:

Also wish I still had my Bjorn Borg Elites

I love that book. One of my favorite books on “style”

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Hey welcome back @Get Smart I wondered if you were still sussed up in Suede/Mod gear. I love that your style has shifted more football Casual and sportswear. I have a little SoCal mod revival in my past (OC Mods!) as you may or may not remember. Wow ten years, I guess my general trajectory has been toward more casual and comfortable. Still love tailored things, but on a day-to-day it's more denim, light jackets, western shirts, boots or sneakers. Also 60s coastal stuff like striped tees, windbreakers and Vans.

:cool:

Hey Parker! Yes I remember having a lot in common with your personal style background. Good to see you again on here

cbusguy

Reaction score
no change in aesthetic yet. i still wear similar clothes. i've always dressed a mix of preppy and workwear. i wear more vintage clothes now. i grew up dressing preppy. when i was a kid, i mostly wore polo and abercrombie and fitch, so i've never really changed. i spoilered some of my wawyt posts from almost 10 years ago. i think these are from ~2010. still wish i had the hat, but it got lost somewhere.

1234685[/ATTACH]

inverallan sweater
eN16.jpeg

eg sweatshirt, sugarcane okinawa, and birkenstocks
eTIi.jpeg

eg sweater and wwm pants
eX05.jpeg

nom de guerre sweater
f0Gq.jpeg

eg sweatshirt and vest
f0GS.jpeg

eg jacket and ll bean shoes
f8mm.jpeg

mt rainier design jacket
fc9G.jpeg

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
My personal style didn't change much the last ten years or so, except probably for summer clothing (as summers in Paris are much hotter than they were - global warming anall that).

I tend to wear less and less formal wear (suit & ties), mainly because i don't need to in my job. I still like to dress up occasionally, but less than before.

I still have strong links to my old style - a mix of neat (hard) Mod and "Drugstore crowd" style, both looks were pretty close - so i wear selvedge jeans, khakis, sta-prest, BD shirts of all sorts, Baracuta, Truckers, Crombies, Loden Coats, Sport Coats, desert boots, brogues, loafers, etc.

Shoes : i tend to wear less and less leather soles for comfort reasons, except when i dress up a bit. So yes rubber/gum/plastic soles. Mainly DM shoes that i consider as tyres (as i walk a lot), always got several pairs in rotation.

Personal preference : I don't like the sweat pants - sneakers look as it has to me wrong connotations, i only wear them when i'm doing sports outdoor. You will never see me in Stone Island either for mostly the same reasons, and the brand is worn here by far rights thugs that i don't want to be associated with, because the logo is close to the celtic cross.
I much prefer CP company for example.

So i don't think my look evolved that much the last ten years or so, i am "The look goes on" type, see the so-called thread.

I don't think i have been much influenced by SF - but i clearly enjoy this forum as it can be great fun -, i post in different threads on many different topics, sometimes i post 'fits' in the different WAYWRN threads, i enjoy the Friday Challenges, i feel free and don't feel more CM than SW&D.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I always had a bit of a split personality, style-wise.

Ten years ago I was all Paul Smith cord suits, second-hand tweed and flat caps, vintage and repro stuff (I loved 1920s pin-collar shirts etc. and anything from Old Town) on the one hand, and on the other more SW&D side, whatever I thought was 'interesting' in TK Maxx - in other words, a mess.

Between then and now I went through the whole Styleforum CM lifecycle, from thrift to bespoke, and came out the other side; and at the same time, because of spending so much time in Japan, I got into all those Japanese workwear revival brands and indigo everything, as well as other Japanese clothes that aren't really a thing on here.

Now? I've taken a bit from all of this. But like the OP, I've got more casual and happy with what feels comfortable. I rarely wear a CM-type suit or a tie any more (although when I do, I have exactly what I need). I've found brands like Engineered Garments are often what I find myself turning to (though not always). I still like raw denim and boots. I still like Old Town and SEH Kelly and that English workwear tradition.

And I do wish I still had the Paul Smith cord suits...

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ten years ago I was wearing EG-like "workwear"/vintage (without wearing much EG), mostly indigo everything. Today, I wear pretty much the same, but in black and dark colors (85% Old Town). I have also dropped more or less all "Americana"- referencing items (e.g., western shirts, 5-pocket denim), and favor relaxed suits (loads of linen, cord). The rather subtle transition started 6-7 years ago, in a mostly subconscious attempt to integrate some of my teen (goth/black metal, subculture) sensibilities into my adult life. It turned out pretty well I think.

Im still inspired by English "workwear", Japanese "fashion", Monty Don, and a little bit of Yamamoto.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads