• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

how has this decade been for you?

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by clee1982
Biggest transition in my life I suppose, came to the US by myself at 1998, never though I was going to stay here this long, but here I am, soon I will be spending half of my life in the US...

You came alone when you were 12??

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Concordia
You came alone when you were 12??

Came to the States when I was 15 and 10 month, boarding school, don't think 12 would fly for boarding school
tongue.gif
, at least not the ones I know off. I think the youngest they would take is 9th grader.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I basically started my career and my family in this decade (graduated from grad school in 1996, but didn't really get started working until 1998), so it's been interesting to say the least. Have lived in 5 states since 2000..
eh.gif
Lost both grandmothers Lost the best dog a guy ever had Had two kids Moved 4 times Worked at one of the most infamous companies of the 00's Made VP before I hit 40 Not bad I guess..

calisanfran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has been a great decade... '99 graduate from school and started on first job (Pittsburgh) '03 went to b school full time (Philly) '04 got married (Philly) '05 started new job (New Jersey) '06 got our fisrt dog
smile.gif
'08 changed jobs and moved across country (SF) '08 got our second dog
smile.gif
Big plans for '10...house, kids (maybe)...lets see how it works out!

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm sure that MANY on this forum are in the same boat as me; the numbers here seem to be heavy in the 25-35 range, and I think for most of us the past decade was sort of just jumping in and getting started (finishing school/first job/moving abroad, etc.). These next ten years will be the make-or-break ones for us, as we hopefully take a few chances to do what we REALLY want, either succeeding and going from there, or falling back to our second-choice that is more "safe."

For me, the last ten years were just preparation and foreplay. I'm ready to get to the hardcore cosmic *******.

bcpool

Reaction score
Good and bad.
School for the first half. Met lots of people, made lots of great friends. Traveled some, drank too much, started a band, recorded an album. Finished school, went back home to farm, did that for a few years until I decided it was a better idea to quit farming than shoot myself in the face. Now I'm going back to school and work on a MBA and pursue another sort of life.

I haven't been real happy in quite some time. All I can think to do is keep trying and pursue and build a life that I am happy with and be the man I want/need to be. I was ashamed and afraid to quit farming because it was how I grew up and what I thought I really wanted to do. Looking at it again I think maybe its the brave thing to do, not settling for something that is taking me nowhere and I don't enjoy anymore.

I learned many lessons this past decade and I am ready to kick some ass in this one.

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
a real rollercoaster, amazing up years seemed to follow crushing lows... finished the decade on an up, and I hope that the ride will become a bit smoother this decade..

well see..

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I had the **** beat out of me during the naughty aughts, but today I am in as good a place as I ever have been. I am a happy man; very content.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One year of the decade, 2003, contained the most dramatic change in my entire life;
-finalized my divorce
-sold my company after 28 years
-got engaged
-bought a house, moved
-Mom died
-Got married
-Started first new job with out-of-state owners
-step-daugher moves in creating blended family with my son and new wife

To be honest, I would say I spent years recovering from '03. The golden nugget however is my wife and family. We have a good, loving life together and much to look forward to in the coming decade.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Finished my post-graduate education in 2000 and met my future wife in late 1999.

2001 - got married in Las Vegas.

Finished my further training and then moved to San Francisco to get further training.

Became gainfully employed in 2005 - finally engaged in a job for which I've gone to school forever, it seems, to reach.

Wife and I love and respect each other more with each year's passing, and are now working on having children.

ConcernedParent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Intelligent Design
Last decade was very much a set-up for this decade.

+1. This decade begins life for me.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Another year, another tiresome period of time.

You are way too young and fabulous to be so weary..
eh.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads