• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How good is Spier and Mackay?

noobanker

Reaction score
I really like the look of Spier and Mackay in pictures.
Nice lapel width, lapel roll, nice shoulder, and some nice looking button stance, overall silhouette and proportion, etc.

But I just can't seem to find any reviews online except Parisian Gentleman.
What's the verdict on S&M?
Is it as good as say, Boglioli in terms of construction and somewhat subjectively - the cut?

Peking_Gent

Reaction score
There are some Youtubers that have reviewed their stuff, you should check them out.

Personally, I have owned both dress trousers and jackets from S&M. I have to say, for the price, they offer stuff that's unmatched on the market. The cut of their jackets is good and has a modern fit, I would say, much better than the cuts of Suitsupply jackets nowadays. In terms of trousers, I find the pleats to be rather small and the rise to be too low, but those are issues found in all RTW items on the market, can't really blame them. Also, their custom program is quite comprehensive, you might want to try it one day once you find your right size. They don't have the fabrics from the most renowned mills, but they are generally good enough.

I suggest you get a sale item to try them out, they do extra 25off all the time on the sale items. If you don't like them, you can return them as long as it isn't a final sale.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sports coats: Perfect. Nice soft shoulders that fit me well off the rack. The lapel width and gorge is the best this year. I think it nails the classic in classic menswear, yet doesn't look fusty or outdated.

Construction is solid half-canvas for a really good price.

Casual trouser fits are kind of all over the place in terms of consistency, but still a great value if you can nail it down.

Depending on your build, people find them either too slim, or too baggy. I'm in the former camp. That's speaking on their biggest cut, Contemporary.

With that said, they're still better than the competition for this.

Overcoats: May somehow be a better value than the SCs as well. The Zanieri fabric overcoats are really nice in terms of texture and warmth. I find the overcoats to hit just above my knee, I'm 5'10ish.

OTR Shirts: Again, amazing value if they fit you. Their BD polos are the most underrated item, though the fit can vary from season-to-season. Find me a maker that makes a BD polo with a roll for sub $50, it ain't happening. Oxfords are great as well.

MTM Shirts: I wouldn't touch this unless you're a good fit OTR and just want a different collar. They've managed to **** up 75% of my shirt orders where I ask for obsessive details. Confusing my body measurements for shirt measurements was where I said that's enough and threw in the towel. The quality control is simply terrible and may as well be from a completely different company.

Conclusion: For me, they dominate most of my wardrobe. I haven't found any other company that delivers this much value and quality for a reasonable price. The consistency with their fits needs to be improved, and the quality control and entire MTM shirt program should be completely overhauled.

Peking_Gent

Reaction score
Sports coats: Perfect. Nice soft shoulders that fit me well off the rack. The lapel width and gorge is the best this year. I think it nails the classic in classic menswear, yet doesn't look fusty or outdated.

Casual trouser fits are kind of all over the place in terms of consistency, but still a great value if you can nail it down.

Depending on your build, people find them either too slim, or too baggy. I'm in the former camp. That's speaking on their biggest cut, Contemporary.

Overcoats: May somehow be a better value than the SCs as well. The Zanieri fabric overcoats are really nice in terms of texture and warmth. I find the overcoats to hit just above my knee, I'm 5'10ish.

OTR Shirts: Again, amazing value if they fit you. Their BD polos are the most underrated item, though the fit can vary from season-to-season. Find me a maker that makes a BD polo with a roll for sub $50, it ain't happening. Oxfords are great as well.

MTM Shirts: I wouldn't touch this unless you're a good fit OTR and just want a different collar. They've managed to **** up 75% of my shirt orders where I ask for obsessive details. Confusing my body measurements for shirt measurements was where I said that's enough and threw in the towel. The quality control is simply terrible and may as well be from a completely different company.

Conclusion: For me, they dominate most of my wardrobe. I haven't found any other company that delivers this much value and quality for a reasonable price. The consistency with their fits needs to be improved, and the quality control and entire MTM shirt program should be completely overhauled.

I think one really needs a good knowledge of the garment fit before trying out their custom program. The preferable way is to take their RTW garments to a tailor to have them alter for you, and then send S&M the measurement of the altered garment for new custom projects. That's in my opinion the safest option.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think one really needs a good knowledge of the garment fit before trying out their custom program. The preferable way is to take their RTW garments to a tailor to have them alter for you, and then send S&M the measurement of the altered garment for new custom projects. That's in my opinion the safest option.
You'd think so, but I've been pretty explicit regarding measurements, and I've owned their OTR shirts as well.

The crux of the issue is their UI is unacceptable compared to their competitors. Proper Cloth and Ratio have measurements that both you and the CS representative can edit and make sure everyone is on the same page.

Not so with S&M. You have to send your measurements, then the people in Toronto have to confirm it, then that gets sent over to India.

Peking_Gent

Reaction score
You'd think so, but I've been pretty explicit regarding measurements, and I've owned their OTR shirts as well.

The crux of the issue is their UI is unacceptable compared to their competitors. Proper Cloth and Ratio have measurements that both you and the CS representative can edit and make sure everyone is on the same page.

Not so with S&M. You have to send your measurements, then the people in Toronto have to confirm it, then that gets sent over to India.

I think S&M recently updated their website, maybe you should check it out again. It seems to be more intuitive now.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think S&M recently updated their website, maybe you should check it out again. It seems to be more intuitive now.
They did indeed.

The problem is, I have an in-person file. I've made an online one in the past, and the factory confused those two repeatedly, and would even add double tolerance to the measurements I would give.

I've no desire to order S&M MTM shirts again after a 20% success rate man.

DrewMill

Reaction score

I've bought 4 MTO shirts from S&M, three OCDBs and one dress shirt. I even asked (in the notes) them to substitute unfused interlinings in the cuffs and collar for the dress shirt. I took the measurement for all the shirts from existing dress shirts that fit me well. All four have been perfect.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've bought 4 MTO shirts from S&M, three OCDBs and one dress shirt. I even asked (in the notes) them to substitute unfused interlinings in the cuffs and collar for the dress shirt. I took the measurement for all the shirts from existing dress shirts that fit me well. All four have been perfect.
I believe it man. Many people have had a good overall experience, I did not.

I'll add that it sounds like you didn't change much from existing shirts though. That's also why I said it will generally work for people that don't change much except for a different collar style.

I'm a genuinely hard fit and need MTM.

DrewMill

Reaction score
I believe it man. Many people have had a good overall experience, I did not.

I'll add that it sounds like you didn't change much from existing shirts though. That's also why I said it will generally work for people that don't change much except for a different collar style.

I'm a genuinely hard fit and need MTM.

That makes sense, my changes were relatively simple.

fabio9999

Reaction score
Gotta agree with FlyingHorker. Poor experience with S&M MTM dress shirt. Took 3 months for initial delivery which was incorrect size and remade shirt also incorrect size. I don't think they have it together there and would suggest using other MTM services.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it typical for S&M to slow to deliver products? I mean RTW products, not MTM. I ordered a jacket and a pair of trousers from them a couple of weeks ago and received an email that the items had shipped on March 29, including a UPS tracking number. Since then there has been no update to that tracking number. Only an "origin scan" and "UPS has not received the package", on the 29th. Is this typical?

Coffandcig

Reaction score
Is it typical for S&M to slow to deliver products? I mean RTW products, not MTM. I ordered a jacket and a pair of trousers from them a couple of weeks ago and received an email that the items had shipped on March 29, including a UPS tracking number. Since then there has been no update to that tracking number. Only an "origin scan" and "UPS has not received the package", on the 29th. Is this typical?
No. They're usually pretty quick on getting RTW stuff in my experience but it sounds like a customs issue with Canada.

japejapejape

Reaction score
no

Johnny80

Reaction score
Did you receive your garment ?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads