• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Epaulet x Styleforum Alpine Loden Collection

Loden wool, woven in Tirol for centuries, is known for its resistance to cold and wetness. Our project in collaboration with Epaulet introduces Alpine Loden, a modern 18oz fabric blend of 75% merino wool and 25% nylon, woven in Italy. It's lighter, more durable, wind-resistant, and more comfortable than traditional Loden fabric. Partnering with Rochester Tailored Clothing, we offer custom garments like sportcoats, suits, and overcoats, made to your specifications. Learn more about the Loden collection here.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How good is Spier and Mackay?

GoldenBrahms

Reaction score
I just remarked in their affiliate thread that one should keep in mind the 2/3 rule: Fast, Affordable, Quality - Pick 2. With SM, you get affordable garments whose quality exceeds its price point. Their speed of shipping and response leaves much to be desired, but that is a sacrifice that I am generally willing to make with them.

The jackets are where they shine. Trousers are okay, too, but ever since trying Berg and Berg's Arnold fit, I am unsure if I'll go back to SM trousers. I also have several SM Shirts. Their slim shirts tend to fit me very well. At the price point, they are tough to beat.

Yuryia

Reaction score
Sports coats: Perfect. Nice soft shoulders that fit me well off the rack. The lapel width and gorge is the best this year. I think it nails the classic in classic menswear, yet doesn't look fusty or outdated.

Construction is solid half-canvas for a really good price.

Casual trouser fits are kind of all over the place in terms of consistency, but still a great value if you can nail it down.

Depending on your build, people find them either too slim, or too baggy. I'm in the former camp. That's speaking on their biggest cut, Contemporary.

With that said, they're still better than the competition for this.

Overcoats: May somehow be a better value than the SCs as well. The Zanieri fabric overcoats are really nice in terms of texture and warmth. I find the overcoats to hit just above my knee, I'm 5'10ish.

OTR Shirts: Again, amazing value if they fit you. Their BD polos are the most underrated item, though the fit can vary from season-to-season. Find me a maker that makes a BD polo with a roll for sub $50, it ain't happening. Oxfords are great as well.

MTM Shirts: I wouldn't touch this unless you're a good fit OTR and just want a different collar. They've managed to **** up 75% of my shirt orders where I ask for obsessive details. Confusing my body measurements for shirt measurements was where I said that's enough and threw in the towel. The quality control is simply terrible and may as well be from a completely different company.

Conclusion: For me, they dominate most of my wardrobe. I haven't found any other company that delivers this much value and quality for a reasonable price. The consistency with their fits needs to be improved, and the quality control and entire MTM shirt program should be completely overhauled.

Their quality and fits are not consistent at all,their MTM is horrible,their fabrics are hit or miss,the last linen shirts I bought from them was 1 white and 1 blue,the white linen shirt had better heavier fabric and fits okay but the blue linen was bad in fit and horrible in fabric,the blue linen became unwearable after one wash,how can they make the same shirt styles but the white had better fabric than the blue?,I reached out to customer service and they refused to do anything about it,so far I have 2 MTM shirts and 1 blue linen shirt that are unwearable,I have bought a total of 6 shirts from SPIER & MACKAY and 3 of them are unwearable.

Yuryia

Reaction score
Their quality and fits are not consistent at all,their MTM is horrible,their fabrics are hit or miss,the last linen shirts I bought from them was 1 white and 1 blue,the white linen shirt had better heavier fabric and fits okay but the blue linen was bad in fit and horrible in fabric,the blue linen became unwearable after one wash,how can they make the same shirt styles but the white had better fabric than the blue?,I reached out to customer service and they refused to do anything about it,so far I have 2 MTM shirts and 1 blue linen shirt that are unwearable,I have bought a total of 6 shirts from SPIER & MACKAY and 3 of them are unwearable.

Gil_Pender

Reaction score
Commas are not the same as periods.

Featured Sponsor

Invisible Socks: Convenience or Curse?

• Convenience

• Curse

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
poppiseed