How Good Is or Isn't Magnanni As a Dress Shoe?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Jerry52, Sep 17, 2007.

1. Jerry52

Jerry52 Senior member

I was in a department store yesterday, and the top of the lines they carried was Magnanni. I saw it there in-person for the first time.

I zeroed in on the Magnanni Montana leather dress shoes, blucher or "derby" lace-ups, retailing for $225, so I tried on a pair.

Very tough to predict foot comfort and foot support in ten minutes hoofing around the shoe department, but I thought they seemed promising.

I'm no shoe expert (I leave that to the rest of you, LOL) but from my inspection the Magnanni's were decent looking and decent-feeling. Construction seemed OK.

Not world-beaters I'm sure but seemed alright at $225. Actually I have a way to buy them for about $135.

The other "better" shoes this store carried were Coach and Bacco Buchi. The Bacco Buchi were non-repairable, and looked attractive, but on my feet weren't very comfortable and didn't seem a good fit. On close examination, some of the stitching work seemed a bit sloppy. I didn't think that the Coach shoes compared well in leather quality with the Magnanni.

So...just curious the general esteem or lack thereof around here for Magnanni as a dress shoe- construction, comfort, foot support for long-term walking and standing. Would they be a better choice, worse choice or toss-up with a typical Alden, Allen Edmonds or Mephisto, for example?

The salesman called them hand-built and said that the store was fortunate to be able to carry them...

Jerry

2. sho'nuff

sho'nuff grrrrrrrr!!

if the store was DSW or Payless , yes, it is fortunate for them to carry them.

if it was nordstrom and the like , magnanni relatively is a mediocre shoe.

although some nice refined designs and the leather is not that bad, it is not a substantial shoe by any means and cannot be compared to alden or even Allen edmonds made in USA dress shoes i would safely say.
    they CAN be compared to AE italian loafer line though.

they are in the same level of mephisto in my opinion although mephisto is somewhat a different genre of shoes (comfort /walking).

if you can get them for 129 at macys or such, that is a decent , regular price to pay, although you can sometimes get magnanni below 100 dollars.

even sub 100 dollars, unless you are in an emergency to buy an italian dress shoe, i would save that 100 dollars for something else, as it is a building block to buying nicer shoes.
    i see several magnannis on sale at nordstrom rack all the time at 79.90 and i still pass them up , and for flipping purposes, i wouldnt bother anyone here with them and not worth my time.

just my 20won.

3. sho'nuff

sho'nuff grrrrrrrr!!

let me just add Coach shoe are not shoes at all , but pieces of fabric and leather slapped together to form something that looks like a shoe. and sold for 200 dollars.
    they are like walking on/in wooden planks and are the worst for your feet.

many persons see the coach shoes and think highly of them due to their name in handbags. it is not the same 'quality' for their outsourced shoes.

4. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

5. Jerry52

Jerry52 Senior member

Muchas gracias for what "shoe" all said! [​IMG]

I kinda thought there'd be more feedback pro or con on Magnanni---

Really only Shoe addressed that.

As to Coach- I didn't realize they outsourced their shoes, but I had ruled them out upon seeing them. Shoe put the reasons why rather colorfully.

As to Magnanni, I'd still like to hear from others who have worn their lace-up dress shoes. I'm not expecting Lobb exactly, but if I could score a pair for under $150, it just might be fun to play with them, I thought.

They will never touch my Sutor Mantellassi for build or style, but in the early going, the Sutors are still TORTURE on my feet.[​IMG]

Jerry

6. thomaus247

thomaus247 Senior member

We sell them as casual shoes..ie;loafers, lug-soled loafers and lug-soled ties. They are a quality shoe. It is obvious they are not a EG, or even Ferragamo, but they are not trying to be. And I don't know how you can compare any leather soled shoe to a Mephisto??

I can't state to the styles, as we do our own. If you like the style, and the shoe fits, wear it.

The best way to find out how a brand performs is to buy one and test it. If you are not happy, don't buy the brand again.

TM

7. southbound35

southbound35 Senior member

I've never worn them, but I think the styles I've seen are attractive. If you have a way to buy a style you like for <$150, I'd say go for it. On edit: Just looked at the Montana model. It seems a bit Kenneth Cole-ish in its square toe. I liked the styles I saw at a Mark Shale store more than the Montana. http://www.markshale.com/subcategory...t=mens%5Fshoes

8. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

I bought a couple of pairs sometime ago and they run narrow on my otherwise normal feet, if it matters to you.

9. Toiletduck

Toiletduck Senior member

The models they have in HK, are mostly direct copies of Santonis

10. mbc

mbc Senior member

I have a pair of black Magnanni cap toe balmorals on a very chiseled last. The leather polishes up pretty well, and they are pretty comfortable - good padding on the insole. The outsole appears to be blake stiched w/ channeling, but is thick enough that it's been holding up fairly well so far. In other words, I like them, satisfied with whatever the price was at DSW (&lt;$100 if I recall correctly).

11. Jerry52

Jerry52 Senior member

Hey guys, thanks for your recent comments...

I'll take a look at the Mark Shale link, which is new to me...

As to them fitting a bit narrow, it's good to know. I had somehow assumed my foot is "wide" but I've had it "measured" on the old fashioned foot scale at two shoe shops recently, and, they say my feet are medium-toward-narrow, so a "C" width ought to be plenty. Oddly enough my feet are a good fit in my Allen Edmonds 11 1/2 D shoes, but possibly also the shape of the last has some relevance in the whole ball of wax.

It was also interesting to hear mbc's "user report" on how they're wearing. He didn't mention how long he's had them, which would be interesting.

I guess I'm just basically curious if they "might" be as good as a typical Alden or Allen Edmonds, for a bit less money??? I've been curious about some other shoes, especially some Michael Toschi's I saw online. They looked very nice, and have a supposedly special rubber sole designed especially for orthopedic comfort, but since it is a specially-designed sole, it might make recrafting it problematic.

Jerry

12. mbc

mbc Senior member

I guess I'm just basically curious if they "might" be as good as a typical Alden or Allen Edmonds, for a bit less money???
    Construction on mine certainly isn't as good as AE, in so far as most AEs are goodyear welted whereas these Magnannis are only blake stitched.

As far as how long I've had them, not that long, maybe 8 - 9 months or so, but I've done a fair amount of walking in them so far.

13. AlonzoMosely

AlonzoMosely Well-Known Member

At $100 give or take, I think it is a decent dress shoe. Mine (black cap toe balmoral) are comfortable and take a nice polish. Certainly not as durable as better quality shoes, but I think they can have a place in a shoe rotation.

14. satorstyle

satorstyle Senior member

I think they are comparable with Mezlen, not awful but a lot of decent shoes can be found in their price range.

15. Raysmooth

Raysmooth New Member

I have owned 3 pairs of Magnanni's and I haven't had a problem with them at all. To me I would say they are very well priced for the shoe you're getting. They are comfortable, well built and durable. They do make a few that are sleek and stylish as well. I have also owned Mezlans and I like them as well, however the Magnanni's are a step up above Mezlans in my opinion. For me, my choice for Magnanni's shoes is based on afford not wanting to spend $500+ on a shoe yet still have a nice quality shoe.