1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

How Good is BB's So-called "Unconditional Guarantee"?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by markdc, Jul 2, 2007.

1. markdc

markdc Senior member

On its website, Brooks Brothers states:

"Brooks Brothers guarantees its merchandise and your satisfaction. Purchases may be exchanged or returned at any time. With a receipt, full merchandise refunds will be issued by original payment method. Without a receipt, merchandise refunds will only be issued at current sale price on a Brooks Brothers Merchandise Credit Card. Cash refunded only in amounts of $250 or less at Brooks Brothers retail stores in the United States only."

Have any of you tried to take advantage of this guarantee before without a receipt? And how fair are they in terms of refunding your money?

Thanks!

2. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

Are you trying to josepidal them?

3. rnoldh

rnoldh Senior member

Are you trying to josepidal them?

This is markdc"s first post!

Welcome to SF Mark.

Don't worry if you dont understand Ed's question.

You are not alone.

I've never returned anything to BB, but I'll bet that someone here has experience with BB returns.

4. TomW

TomW Senior member

I've taken back a 3 year old mtm suit because one sleeve came off - I was not seeking a refund, but a repair. BB not only repaired the sleeve, they refunded about half the original purchase price as well.

5. distinctive

distinctive Senior member

Will let you know if a couple of days regarding some shoes

6. borace

borace Well-Known Member

I have had good experience with the BB guarantee. I had three non-iron oxford cloth shirts that frayed around the collar and cuffs. They varied in age from 18 months to 3 years. I returned them all to the Newberry St, Boston store and they replaced them without quibble, even allowing me to select the must-iron versions instead of the non-iron versions I'd originally bought.

7. markdc

markdc Senior member

I have had good experience with the BB guarantee. I had three non-iron oxford cloth shirts that frayed around the collar and cuffs. They varied in age from 18 months to 3 years. I returned them all to the Newberry St, Boston store and they replaced them without quibble, even allowing me to select the must-iron versions instead of the non-iron versions I'd originally bought.

Ahhh... interesting. That's the exact same problem I have! I have one sleeve on my dominant hand whose cuff is starting to fray a bit. Is it a problem if I don't have a receipt?

Also, since I'm in New York, should it take it to the 5th Ave. store or the one on 346 Madison?

Thanks for the help!

8. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

I once exchanged a 6-month-old pair of socks (without receipt) because the toe had come apart. They blinked, but they did the exchange. I felt so bad about it, I bought two shirts (on sale) before I left the store.

9. markdc

markdc Senior member

I once exchanged a 6-month-old pair of socks (without receipt) because the toe had come apart. They blinked, but they did the exchange. I felt so bad about it, I bought two shirts (on sale) before I left the store.

Which store was this at? Since there are two big New York stores, I figure that I might as well choose the one where the salespeople are less defensive.

10. borace

borace Well-Known Member

Ahhh... interesting. That's the exact same problem I have! I have one sleeve on my dominant hand whose cuff is starting to fray a bit. Is it a problem if I don't have a receipt?

Also, since I'm in New York, should it take it to the 5th Ave. store or the one on 346 Madison?

Thanks for the help!

I live in the UK and my shirts were originally purchased during vacations, all on seperate occasions at BB's in NY, San Francisco and Florida. I returned them without receipts to the Newberry Street store, where I found the staff to be extremely helpful.

If I were in NY I think I would use the 346, simply because if I wanted an exchange the choice would probably be wider there.

From my experience, I don't think you need to worry about the staff being defensive

11. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

Which store was this at? Since there are two big New York stores, I figure that I might as well choose the one where the salespeople are less defensive.

It was in the suburbs, not the city. They'll do the exchange. they do keep track of customers' exchange records, and there's probably some point at which you get black-listed, but it won't be on the first exchange.

12. markdc

markdc Senior member

It was in the suburbs, not the city. They'll do the exchange. they do keep track of customers' exchange records, and there's probably some point at which you get black-listed, but it won't be on the first exchange.

Understood. So I assume that the blacklisting is what happens when you try to "josepidal" them, as edmorel puts it? Haha. Would anyone mind explaining the inside joke?

13. mack11211

mack11211 Senior member

Josepidal is a board member here whose punctiliousness and concern with details some find irritating.

Of the two NYC stores, Madison is the flagship and caters to the most serious sartorialist, while the 5th Ave store is patronized by more casual dressers, including tourists.

14. markdc

markdc Senior member

Josepidal is a board member here whose punctiliousness and concern with details some find irritating.

Of the two NYC stores, Madison is the flagship and caters to the most serious sartorialist, while the 5th Ave store is patronized by more casual dressers, including tourists.

So if I'm a college student interning in the city, I'd probably be less intimidated walking into 5th Ave? ;-)

15. markdc

markdc Senior member

And thanks for the quick responses from everybody. All of you have made a great first impression. SF seems like a great forum!

16. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

And thanks for the quick responses from everybody. All of you have made a great first impression. SF seems like a great forum!

Welcome!

17. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

I've taken back a 3 year old mtm suit because one sleeve came off - I was not seeking a refund, but a repair. BB not only repaired the sleeve, they refunded about half the original purchase price as well.

The whole sleeve came off? That's fucking awesome!

Jon.

18. j

j Senior member Admin

The whole sleeve came off? That's fucking awesome!

Jon.

'Twas but a scratch.

[​IMG]

19. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

Josepidal is a board member here whose punctiliousness and concern with details some find irritating. Of the two NYC stores, Madison is the flagship and caters to the most serious sartorialist, while the 5th Ave store is patronized by more casual dressers, including tourists.
    More specifically, the term, "to Josepidal," as a verb, refers to a return of an item such as a pair of shoes already worn but only after some length of time deciding that they are not right for the returner. The term is particularly a propros when such return is accompanied with an argument with a salesman regarding the fact that the soles are all scratched up and the suggestion by the returner that they were only warn inside on a carpet, not outside, and therefore are not actually "worn." A dispute over the refund of sales tax is also an aggravating factor that tends to prove an effective "josepidal" (the noun form). This is not to be confused with the term, "to mafoofan," which is a verb generally meaning: to have no need to return anything to a merchant, because you are not a customer in the first place, but while you pass no judgment on whether or not such articles do, indeed, warrant a return, you nevertheless feel the need to point out that there is an insufficient survey size to determine whether such returns are, in fact, necessary, or whether the merchant should be avoided altogether, not that you would ever make such a judgment one way or the other.

20. markdc

markdc Senior member

'Twas but a scratch.

[​IMG]

haha, that's great.