1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

How good are Magnanni shoes?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by bubblegum, Feb 6, 2011.

1. bubblegum

bubblegum Member

2. ns7

ns7 Well-Known Member

Definitely go for the Strand. You can still return before it's too late.

I believe Magnanni are decent value around ~$200.

3. ESPNHD

ESPNHD Active Member

I went shoe shopping at Norstrom. Was looking for brown/burgundy dress shoes. I liked the Allen Edmond's:
    http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline...ategory=120552

But gf liked the Magnanni:
    http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/magnanni...y&resultback=0

In the end I went with the Magnanni.
    Both shoes cost about $300. I have never heard of Magnanni, are they good shoes? How do they compare to AE shoes?
    Worth $300?

The uglier shoe at the same price will always be higher quality.

Do you want something that looks good? Or do you want something that is "quality"?

4. NORE

NORE Senior member

Magnanni makes solid shoes. I have owned Magnannis far longer than any AE shoe. They are Blake constructed and with very good quality leather. They tend to run .5-1.0 size large (long).

5. DerekS

DerekS Senior member

I have a pair of black double monks by them. Absolutely love them. The shape and toe are tops. Very sleek. I wear them much more than any of my AEs and ive been more than pleased.

6. Redwoood

Redwoood Senior member

Magnanni makes solid shoes. I have owned Magnannis far longer than any AE shoe. They are Blake constructed and with very good quality leather. They tend to run .5-1.0 size large (long).

I thought they were Bologna-constructed?

7. NORE

NORE Senior member

Some of them may be. The ones I had were blaked

8. NORE

NORE Senior member

Yup. I owned the Strand for about 6 months. The Magnannis for about 2 years. Never once polished the Magnannis and beat the crap outta them. They took it like a champ. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Got 'em for $110 shipped when a Magnanni rep was selling them on eBay.

9. calvinloke

calvinloke Senior member

Owned a pair of Magnanni's wholecut for 2 years already. Very good. Nicks can be polished and buffed out easily.

10. Grigory

Grigory Senior member

Yoox currently offers Magnanni shoes - starting at $79

11. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

I prefer the Magnannis to AE's. Not John lobbs, but a pretty good shoe if you get it on discount

12. Drudged

Drudged Senior member

The two pairs of Magnannis that I have are on a sleek and modern last without going overboard. Some of the styles can look like something from a sartorial nightmare, but they have many conservatively cut, stylish options. They can be had at around ~$150-$200 on discount, and as such are definitely a viable option. The leather used on them that I've seen, while never top of the line, maintains itself well over time. Neimans last call and Nordstrom rack routinely offer them at reasonable prices.

13. bubblegum

bubblegum Member

Would you buy Magnanni shoes at full retail price though? I ones I got yesterday are at full retail for $300. Too much? I noticed many board members get Magnanni shoes at far cheaper price. Do they go on sale often? Should I return and wait ?

14. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

Would you buy Magnanni shoes at full retail price though? I ones I got yesterday are at full retail for $300. Too much? I noticed many board members get Magnanni shoes at far cheaper price. Do they go on sale often? Should I return and wait ?
    they're commonly available much cheaper. are you willing to invest the time and effort in trolling the sales to find exactly what you want? or are you flexible about things like style and color? if the answer to both q's is yes, then you can definitely save a lot of money by waiting for sales online or in the brick & mortars, or on eBay/B&S

15. SpallaCamiccia

SpallaCamiccia Senior member

Magananni are made 100 km from my home. Those are nice, but they copy too much Santoni.

16. 0b5cur1ty

0b5cur1ty Senior member

Had 2 pairs of Magnanni shoes and very happy with them. Much tougher than they first look. Would actually happily pay full retail (€230 or so here).

17. The Shoe Snob

The Shoe Snob Senior member Affiliate Vendor

The uglier shoe at the same price will always be higher quality.

Do you want something that looks good? Or do you want something that is "quality"?

This, above, is really what you have to ask yourself. What you paid is fine for what you are getting but the 'Strand', by Allen Edmonds, is definitely better in terms of quality, at least compared to the 'Bruno' model, of which both I know quite well from selling them myself.

18. BlueHorseShoe

BlueHorseShoe Senior member

I agree, my magnannis have been worn at least once a week for the past 2 years and they are just starting to wear to the point where I can see the stitching. Tougher than I originally thought.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The uppers...

19. rgoldstein

rgoldstein Senior member

I agree, my magnannis have been worn at least once a week for the past 2 years and they are just starting to wear to the point where I can see the stitching. Tougher than I originally thought. [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Good God, man! Shoe trees!!

20. ap10046

ap10046 Senior member

I know this is an old thread, but would like to add my 2 cents!
    Bought a pair on ebay (ubiquitous brown chiseled spilt toe penny loafer) about a year and a few months ago.
    They were a nightmare during the first few wears, my left little toe all but fell off and the vamp actually made sharp marks on the top of my foot! However, after a few wears they were SO comfortable and have become my beater-go-to shoe! They take cream polish very well and have developed a lovely "burnished" patina!
    The leather soles are strong as..I don't know what..but I would say easily on par with my C&J's and show minimal wear/scuffing.
    IMHO, really, really good shoes for less than $150, shipped!!