• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

how french cuffs should fit properly?

jamesbond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i just recieved a bespoke sample shirt today from T&A and i must say it fits very well. but my only quim is that the double french cuffs seem to be a little tight to my wrist. especially on my left wrist were my watch is worn. they are tight enough were the cuff will stop dead at the end of my wrist so that it wont slip over my hand. is this the correct way a cuff should fit? it may just be my being too acustomed to ill fitting shirts and cuffs.

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Aside from meeting your personal preferences, the only thing it needs to be able to do is show .5" from under your suit sleeves. Unless you have your suit sleeves cut fairly short, this probably won't happen. If it is currently showing .5", I wouldn't worry too much about it. You should probably ask them to make the left cuff a little larger if you intend to wear a bulky watch most of the time.

Alexander Kabbaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No. Your left cuff should be cut larger to allow for your watch. They should know this because they asked about your watch when they measured you, right? Additionally, neither cuff should be too tight for comfort. No big deal, they can change to new cuffs in less than a couple of hours.

What is a "quim"?

Edit:
Oh. Thanks, NoVaGuy.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm guessing he meant "qualm".

benchan

Reaction score
I am surprised T&A didn't cut your left cuff a tad larger to allow for your watch. But anyhow, you shouldn't wear a a really big and thick watch with a French cuff shirt anyway.

jamesbond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yes thanks i did mean qualm.

yes alex they did ask about my watch and i explained that i were a very thin watch so hence them not making it much fuller.

but a proper fitting cuff is supposed to stop at the end of your wrist and not slide over/onto your hand correct?

thanks for the replies.

Alexander Kabbaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Assuming that you are about 5'10" to 6' tall, your cuff (personal preferences to the contrary aside for a moment) should rest 4.25" above the tip of your thumb. Your jacket sleeve should rest 4.75" above the tip of your thumb. Both measurements should be made with your arms (both) hanging comfortably at your sides.

Read quickly as Manton will be admonishing shortly regarding various technical matters related to this subject.

Alexander Kabbaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gee, thanks, JC. I always wanted to know how to say that in a foreign language.

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Gee, thanks, JC. I always wanted to know how to say that in a foreign language.
It's not a foreign language, AK. Haven't you ever heard the old saw about how the British and the Americans are two peoples separated by a common language?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
The one and only instance I have come across of this word being used in this context is in the movie Rob Roy. Tim Roth's fop character Archibald Cunningham says it frequently, if I recall.

jamesbond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
jcusey - let me guess lawyer or english proffessor?

Alex - how did you guess my height, maybe my fingers are longer but the cuffs are more like 5inches from the tip of my thumb. you wouldnt have any pictures of a shirt with the cuffs fitting correctly would you?

thanks.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tried to use it as a boy playing Scrabble, asking over and over if certain words I could spell with my "qu" were, in fact, words. My parents grew very quiet when I declared the word in question and said it was rude. I spelled something without my "qu" and tried to figure out what on earth they meant.

Alexander Kabbaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(jamesbond \tPosted on Feb. 20 2005,19:59) Alex - how did you guess my height, maybe my fingers are longer but the cuffs are more like 5inches from the tip of my thumb. you wouldnt have any pictures of a shirt with the cuffs fitting correctly would you?
I suppose it would be pretty stupid if I didn't? I'll look through the collection and hopefully find an appropriate close-up. Back to you later.
BTW, as far as I can figure out, JCusey's none of the above. He stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night ... playing an allnighter game of Scrabble with zipj83.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics