Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

How formal is a V-neck sweater?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Satiar, Nov 18, 2011.

1. Satiar

Satiar Member

I work where the minimum dress code is Slacks/Shirt/Tie. Does adding, say, a grey wool v-neck to this lessen the formality?

2. acridsheep

acridsheep Senior member

Grazing on the carcasses of less senior members
    No, but a machine gun does dramatically.

[​IMG]

3. Von Franz

Von Franz Senior member

It may, but it would probably be okay to wear.

I don't see it as 'informal," per se, although it could possibly be seen to detract from the technical formality of the tie.
    If I were to take a chance and choose one side, I would be in favor of the sweater.
    There may be people at your job who are used to seeing the components of the dress code, and judging it based on their presence rather than the way they are worn or presented. For them, it might seem "off" somehow, since the sweater would be covering the body of your shirt and a good portion of the tie blade.
    My personal opinion is that some sort of garment should be worn over a shirt and tie, since the combination is meant to be worn under something else. A sport coat or blazer would be the most appropriate, but since those are not required, the next best thing would be a V-neck sweater of exactly the type you have mentioned. It will streamline the ensemble, making the end result far more cohesive and complete. The "V" is good, as well, because it allows your tie to show, demonstrating that you have indeed incorporated the required components.

Medium to dark grey, navy, burgundy, charcoal, and tan are all potentially acceptable colors. Charcoal is probably the safest. Patterns and holiday imagery are best avoided unless golfing or attending a holiday party. Argyle, if not very carefully chosen and worn in the appropriate situation, will look uninspired or trite. A solid, subdued V-neck sweater is generally going to be well received, though.

You should give it a try. The worst that can come of it is that you'll be looked at a little oddly, and maybe asked to take it off, but that seems unlikely. The dress code you describe seems to align most closely to "Business Casual," in which a discreet sweater is usually just fine.

-VF

4. Von Franz

Von Franz Senior member

Only a pistol-caliber weapon with a collapsible stock.

Fixed-stock firearms chambered in rifle calibers are suitable for wear with a sport coat and most suits.

Handguns tend to be acceptable at any level of formality, although a sleeker blued design such as a Colt M1908 or Walther PPK, preferably chambered in .380 Auto, is considered a more desirable accompaniment to evening dress.

Great movie, by the way.

-VF

5. Yachting Man

Yachting Man Senior member

Lol post of the day.

To the OP, quick answer no. Feel free to wear a vneck sweater.

6. Satiar

Satiar Member

Thanks for the help, guys.

I liked where you said:

I do really like the shirt/tie combo, but something about *just* a shirt and tie bothers me. Always feel like I'm missing something.

Anyways, lovely advice as always.

For clarification, as to my OP, the dress code is "two-piece minimum". Exactly that, which most people interpret as Shirt + Tie.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2011

7. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

^^^ Falling Down, got to watch that again. A film full of wierdo's but a 90's classic.

8. shawea

shawea Member

I would agree with Von Franz, in that it is probably perfectly acceptable in your work situation. But on a scale of formality, adding the sweater is definitely less formal, although it does link much more to my personal taste. Also make sure it is a v-neck to show off the shirt and tie appropriately.

9. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Senior member

For sweaters, thin & smooth is more formal, and wool is more formal than cotton. Think merino wool or cashmere.

Dark green can be another acceptable color for a business casual sweater.

10. ajmanouk

ajmanouk Senior member

Definitely agree with wearing JUST a shirt and tie and looking awkward. Only worse is a short sleeved shirt and a 80s style tie with a massive knot and tip reaching one's upper ribcage.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2011

11. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

Yeah me too..it has been awhile. ..MD's character was the only sane one in the film.

Back to the thread title 'How formal is a V-neck sweater? '
    A V-neck sweater is not formal at all. Wear as many of them as you like.
    Welcome to Styleforum Satiar.