1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

How fat are you really?

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by brescd01, Sep 25, 2004.

1. brescd01

brescd01 Senior member

Wow, I guess the stats are wrong, I am the only pudgy person in America and everyone is built like Stallone. I did not realize my fit problems were so unusual.

2. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Members of the forum are a pretty self selected group. I would bet that the majority of members exercise regularly and that a disproportionate number have very rigorous exercise and fitness routines as a regular part of their lives. Personally, I know that I can't go more than a day without working out without feeling pretty antsy.

3. ct2272

ct2272 Well-Known Member

I hardly think 12% bodyfat is "Adonis"-like, although on the upper end of athletic. Â If I had to take a crack as to why, I believe the nature of what this board is about is the reason. Â This board is about people who are trying to improve their image through outfitting with very high quality clothing. Â I would think that particular interest also transcends into other things in a members' life. Â For instance regular diet and exercise ultimately improves health but one of the additional benefits is improving how one looks. In the movie Pumping Iron (George Butler, 1975), Arnold Schwarzenegger was being interviewed as to what bodybuilding was all about. Â He compared it to sculpting. Â With a sculptor, when he wants to change something on the sculpture he adds a bit of clay here or there. Â In bodybuilding the person trains to get that extra bit of shoulder size where the clay would go. Â It's just a harder process. Good clothes inspires self confidence the same as exercise has shown to. Separately aside regarding BMI. Â Outside of a lazy way to determine obesity levels on society (separate from athletes), as previously mentioned, it is supposed to be a determiner regarding diseases such as cancer, heart disease, etc. Â I can't categorically believe that to be true either for the athletic category of test subjects. Finally, I am definitely a slow runner. Â How did the argument get to a point where I had to consider chasing anyone to begin with? Â That's what needs to be avoided. Â [​IMG] Regards, CT

4. Navy09

Navy09 Member

Eh well, just to chime in since I only have another twenty minutes at work today....

6 ft
    165 lbs
    8% bf
    22.5 BMI
    9" drop

weights 3x week
    run 4x week (half hour or more)
    bike 4x week (hour or more)

5. nightowl6261a

nightowl6261a Senior member

now lets discuss this for a sec, i am 5'7", i weigh 187...i wear a 32' pair of levi's, and yet my bmi according to the web site calculator given says i am 29.3 and overweight...now my question is, how many people in this place have a 32-33 inch waist and are 5-7 or even 5-8..and if you do, what is your weight...just curious, i did not realize i was on the verge of obesity.

6. JohnMS

JohnMS Senior member

nightowl,

I'm 5'7" and if my waist, or rather when my waist was 32 inches, I weighed about 145.

7. nightowl6261a

so explain something i am missing here, i did not think i was all that fat, i even took a poll of my employees here, which are women and are notoriously mean when it comes to fat guys, and they agreed that those figues they give are stupid.

8. Centaurion

Centaurion New Member

Muscles weigh more than fat. I'm 178cm ~~5'10 (not sure about that conversion) and weigh 210lbs, but whenever I plug that in a BMI calculator I get 30 or above, which is obese. But I dont even have a 'gut'.

BMI is useless for people who do BB or train.

9. joseanes

joseanes Senior member

I am 5'10", 140lbs the fat percent on the scale is ussually 9.5.
    I use jeans 32... With a tape meassure, my waist is 31".

10. marc37

marc37 Senior member

Here is the question everyone wants to know; how fat is the good doctor?

P.S: Chris (at Bennies), do Bennies have a size 7.5 in Grensons??? (l am trying to catch you here, l have asked Mr Pollock and others to no answer).

11. Style guy

Style guy Well-Known Member

mine is 23.0 I don't know if that is good or not. I weigh only 165 LBS

12. marc37

marc37 Senior member

Chris; l wouldn't take the whole body mass thing too seriously, it's nonsense.

13. johnw86

johnw86 Senior member

"Let's go to the TAPE." 6'2" 185 waist 33" Oops--that's me in my dreams. In reality, I came out as one of the 4 highest BMIs in the poll. Partly genetics, partly not getting as much exercise as I should, partly a love of good food and wine. But hey, I can wear nicely tailored suits and they take off about 15 pounds, right? [​IMG]

14. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I dunno. My bmi was something like 23? I'm 5'11'', 165 lbs, and have a 32-33 inch waist. Sounds pretty normal to me. I run about 5 times a week (at least 2 days of intervals) and lift the same amount max press was 235 lbs, but I doubt I could do more than 200 these days). My cardio keeps me from gaining too much muscle, while my love of desert and carbs (macaroni and 4 cheeses.. ummmm) keeps me from losing too much fat - so I'm sort of at a detente with my body. Six years ago, I weighed about 5-10 punds less, and had a waist of 31 and the same upper body strength. Truth be told, though I'm not about to kill anyone with my "blue steel", I fit nearly perfectly into a 40R from any company (except for Balenciaga or Dior Homme, which make me feel like the Hulk and a fat slob, respectively, if I try their 40R), so I'm pretty happy with things.

15. nightowl6261a

You are just trying to make me feel good, and it DOES, thanks....I agree, total crap.

16. tiger02

tiger02 Senior member

5'7", ~165 lbs, and 9" drop (40-31, I've been eating a lot of donoughts this week.) The scale puts me at 25.9% or something around there. The military uses a similar calculator to Rudder's to determine who needs "extra training." Measures neck instead of forearm, but the idea's the same. I usually come out around 15-16% bf. Not trying to kick a dead horse, it's just good to hear about others who must have the same problems fitting into off-the-rack clothes that I have.

17. nightowl6261a

well, hard is not the word, 10" drop for me, and a short....42-34....never possible, and i am a poor shoe salesman, i can't afford them high pollutin clothes made for me.

18. marc37

marc37 Senior member

Chris=Al Bundy. [​IMG]

19. nightowl6261a

(nightowl6261a @ 17 Nov. 2004, 1:43) i am a poor shoe salesman, i can't afford them high pollutin clothes made for me.
    Chris=Al Bundy. [​IMG]
    If I was Al Bundy, I would definitely be in jail for some crime against my daughter I do believe.

20. RS3RS

RS3RS New Member

Hmm... There is no possible way to judge your body fat percentage by using height and weight alone. Muscle weighs a lot more than fat, and there is no way to know how much you have of each by just using your weight alone. You could be 180 lbs and blubbery fat, or 180 pounds and majorly built with a 6% body fat percentage, or any combination of the two. The calculator is still going to tell you the samething either way...