1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

How far would you go for a good tailor?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by DocHolliday, Mar 8, 2011.

1. Coburn

Coburn Senior member

I've been thinking hard about bespoke but I'm skeptical of the tailors here in Seattle.

Living on the west coast, I'm thinking about Tailors in Asia -- Singapore, Hong Kong

2. phxlawstudent

phxlawstudent Senior member

I've been thinking hard about bespoke but I'm skeptical of the tailors here in Seattle.

Living on the west coast, I'm thinking about Tailors in Asia -- Singapore, Hong Kong

You can go to Cali. Isn't it cheaper? Just wondering.

3. rob

rob Senior member

Doc,

Where do you shop for RTW where you can find nearly everything you need? I find I'm hitting my limit from online shopping and want stuff that makes me think more of bespoke. That's means 90 minutes travel to Chicago and advance planning. Always a trick for me.

Rob

4. SirGrotius

SirGrotius Senior member

This thread brings up a good question - why are there so many clueless tailors in the city burbs?

5. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

For alterations about a 20 minute subway ride. For my bespoke tailor, it takes me about 1.5 hours on the subway, then a 10 minute walk from there...

6. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

Doc,

Where do you shop for RTW where you can find nearly everything you need? I find I'm hitting my limit from online shopping and want stuff that makes me think more of bespoke. That's means 90 minutes travel to Chicago and advance planning. Always a trick for me.

Rob

I do much of my shopping online, but I also shop at Brooks and my local mens shops. I also have some decent outlets nearby.

What are you struggling to find?

7. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

im in baltimore, the only tailor i would use for stuff i really care about is fields in dc. so i guess my answer is an hour drive each way.

8. ThatGuy

ThatGuy Senior member

If it's any indication, I fly 6 hours to get my hair cut! Luckily I can knock off a trip to my tailor at the same time.

9. JohnShaft

JohnShaft Senior member

I'm fortunate enough to be right in town and only a handful of miles from two or more quality tailors.

But, years ago, I lived in a fairly distant suburb and didn't mind the two hour round trip commute to visit them.

I'm not sufficiently married to MTM or bespoke fashion that I would regularly spend the money to travel out of the country, or even fully cross country, but I would take advantage of English and Italian services when I found myself there for other reasons.

10. GBR

GBR Senior member

5994 miles to be nearly precise. The approximate distance from the UK to Hong Kong.

11. CYstyle

CYstyle Senior member

Sadly, take a look at your tailors age, then take a look at your own age. Chances are for some of us, we are going to outlive our tailors, and or the tailor will retire. Since most kids don't grow up wanting to be a master tailor the sad fact of life is bespoke garments by a master tailor are going to be super expensive not too far in the future.

12. rob

rob Senior member

I do much of my shopping online, but I also shop at Brooks and my local mens shops. I also have some decent outlets nearby.

What are you struggling to find?

More seasonal type items. I would like to find a navy blue, half-lined linen sport coat. DB gray flannel. I've purchased from STF and Clothes Horse and a few other places.

Have you been able to find seasonal items?

Thanks.

Rob