• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How far can you dress down a white dinner jacket?

Eli Curt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My sister found the love of her life and they're tying the knot the first week of June. Naturally, it's a perfect occasion for a white cotton dinner jacket. It came yesterday so I threw it on with what I was wearing and it got me thinking: how far down can I dress this thing?

This is a black turtleneck and jeans.
20180417_083713.jpg

jaxenro

Reaction score
I like that jacket very simple for a dinner jacket

Can’t say I like the turtleneck or jeans though

I would probably go with dark navy or black cotton dress pants not jeans

Need to think about the shirt. The black turtleneck actually isn’t bad I just don’t like them

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Eli_Curt Slightly off topic, but you're planning to wear that jacket with black tuxedo trousers and a black bow tie, right?

Eli Curt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Eli_Curt Slightly off topic, but you're planning to wear that jacket with black tuxedo trousers and a black bow tie, right?

That or midnight blue tux trousers and unsure of the bowtie if I go that route.
She hasn't officially declared the wedding "black tie".

jaxenro

Reaction score
I thought you wanted to dress it down? Tuxedo pants and a black bow tie isn’t dressed down but it would look good

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why would you want to dress down for a wedding?

Eli Curt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why would you want to dress down for a wedding?
I feel like I wasn't at all clear.

1. I picked up this jacket.
2. It's for my sister's formal wedding.
3. I would also like to explore dressing it down, for other non-wedding applications.

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I feel like I wasn't at all clear.

1. I picked up this jacket.
2. It's for my sister's formal wedding.
3. I would also like to explore dressing it down, for other non-wedding applications.

Oh, got it. In that case, I would say given that it's cotton you could probably wear it with black jeans. The flap pockets are a bit formal for that, but who will really care? You appear young enough to pull off that kind of look, and it appears to fit you pretty well, so why not?

Beyond that, a cotton jacket is quite summer-y so I don't think the black turtleneck, or any turtleneck, would work. Maybe a black t-shirt? A blue-and-white striped Breton fisherman's pullover like the type sold by Saint James would fit right in at the yacht club. I also think it would look cool with this Italian blue-and-grey large floral print from Proper Cloth.

Eli Curt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh, got it. In that case, I would say given that it's cotton you could probably wear it with black jeans. The flap pockets are a bit formal for that, but who will really care? You appear young enough to pull off that kind of look, and it appears to fit you pretty well, so why not?

Beyond that, a cotton jacket is quite summer-y so I don't think the black turtleneck, or any turtleneck, would work. Maybe a black t-shirt? A blue-and-white striped Breton fisherman's pullover like the type sold by Saint James would fit right in at the yacht club. I also think it would look cool with this Italian blue-and-grey large floral print from Proper Cloth.
What pants would I wear with that shirt? I have a very similar PINK shirt that's colourful.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads