• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How expensive a stylist do I need for this haircut?

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I am in Manhattan and looking for a great haircut. I'm willing to pay a lot (up to $75) but why pay if I don't have to? I'm not looking for a rocker or hipster look, since I work in consulting. The following is what I am going for:

shot14md7pw.jpg

store151le.jpg

So do I need an expensive stylist or will someone else do? Any recommendations in NYC? I want someone I can talk to and ask for opinions, not just someone who takes orders. Of course I want someone who is reliable, so no Supercuts. Thanks.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The cut itself is relatively simple. It is just thinned with texturising shears (or, if you are lucky, straight razor bit that is more a process thing; shears work just as well). Hair product is the secret to the look. As for recommendations, I don't know.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Is this seriously an out-of-style hair cut or are you just kidding around? I thought it was pretty basic.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
Is this seriously an out-of-style hair cut or are you just kidding around? I thought it was pretty basic.

I would not call it out of date. Not too flashy and can be easily subdued for an interview with a government agency...

Spencer Young

Reaction score
Product wise, you probably want some kind of matte-finish with a good hold. I've been pretty happy with American Crew Fiber for that need.

Out of curiosity, who do you work for? I'm starting my consulting life in a month; sorry for being off topic.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Spencer Young
Product wise, you probably want some kind of matte-finish with a good hold. I've been pretty happy with American Crew Fiber for that need.

Out of curiosity, who do you work for? I'm starting my consulting life in a month; sorry for being off topic.

Mercer Oliver Wyman, financial consulting.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by skalogre
I would not call it out of date. Not too flashy and can be easily subdued for an interview with a government agency...

Longer hair in the front held up by paste/gel/whatever is kinda out, not that you should care if you like it....I personnally mostly associate it with men in their 30s, working in the corporate world, trying to pick up young girls during the weekend, having a fake tan and beaded necklaces and thinking they're totally hip.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
Longer hair in the front held up by paste/gel/whatever is kinda out, not that you should care if you like it....I personnally mostly associate it with men in their 30s, working in the corporate world, trying to pick up young girls during the weekend, having a fake tan and beaded necklaces and thinking they're totally hip.

Fair enough. I'm totally open to a new hair cut at this point, to be honest with you.

What are some hairstyles/cuts that are more hip yet still appropriate for work (or at least possible to be styled into a more conservative style)?

Violinist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles

I always thought "the cliff" was kinda 1997, when cargo pants and Point Zero were big...

mbc

Reaction score
So what's a "current" stylish haircut?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics