1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: A Bespoke Coat from David Reeves

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Bespoke Coat from David Reeves. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

How expensive a stylist do I need for this haircut?

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by MetroStyles, Jul 1, 2006.

1. MetroStyles

MetroStyles Stylish Dinosaur

I am in Manhattan and looking for a great haircut. I'm willing to pay a lot (up to $75) but why pay if I don't have to? I'm not looking for a rocker or hipster look, since I work in consulting. The following is what I am going for:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So do I need an expensive stylist or will someone else do? Any recommendations in NYC? I want someone I can talk to and ask for opinions, not just someone who takes orders. Of course I want someone who is reliable, so no Supercuts. Thanks.

2. skalogre

skalogre Distinguished Member

The cut itself is relatively simple. It is just thinned with texturising shears (or, if you are lucky, straight razor bit that is more a process thing; shears work just as well). Hair product is the secret to the look. As for recommendations, I don't know.

3. Violinist

Violinist Distinguished Member

is the TinTin haircut still in?

4. skalogre

is the TinTin haircut still in?

[​IMG]

5. MetroStyles

Is this seriously an out-of-style hair cut or are you just kidding around? I thought it was pretty basic.

6. skalogre

Is this seriously an out-of-style hair cut or are you just kidding around? I thought it was pretty basic.

I would not call it out of date. Not too flashy and can be easily subdued for an interview with a government agency...

7. Spencer Young

Spencer Young Senior Member

Product wise, you probably want some kind of matte-finish with a good hold. I've been pretty happy with American Crew Fiber for that need.

Out of curiosity, who do you work for? I'm starting my consulting life in a month; sorry for being off topic.

8. MetroStyles

Product wise, you probably want some kind of matte-finish with a good hold. I've been pretty happy with American Crew Fiber for that need.

Out of curiosity, who do you work for? I'm starting my consulting life in a month; sorry for being off topic.

Mercer Oliver Wyman, financial consulting.

9. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

I would not call it out of date. Not too flashy and can be easily subdued for an interview with a government agency...

Longer hair in the front held up by paste/gel/whatever is kinda out, not that you should care if you like it....I personnally mostly associate it with men in their 30s, working in the corporate world, trying to pick up young girls during the weekend, having a fake tan and beaded necklaces and thinking they're totally hip.

10. MetroStyles

Longer hair in the front held up by paste/gel/whatever is kinda out, not that you should care if you like it....I personnally mostly associate it with men in their 30s, working in the corporate world, trying to pick up young girls during the weekend, having a fake tan and beaded necklaces and thinking they're totally hip.

Fair enough. I'm totally open to a new hair cut at this point, to be honest with you.

What are some hairstyles/cuts that are more hip yet still appropriate for work (or at least possible to be styled into a more conservative style)?

11. Drinkwaters

Drinkwaters OG Affiliate Vendor

Why not try one of these.

Gary

12. sygyzy

sygyzy Distinguished Member

Why not try one of these.

Gary

Because they are ugly.

13. Violinist

Violinist Distinguished Member

I always thought "the cliff" was kinda 1997, when cargo pants and Point Zero were big...

14. mbc

mbc Senior Member

So what's a "current" stylish haircut?

15. Drinkwaters

Drinkwaters OG Affiliate Vendor

Because they are ugly.

Why not tell me how you really feel!

To each his own.

Gary