• Welcome to the Styleforum Approved contest! This is a contest where everyone wins: in fact, every participant will get a (highly coveted) “Styleforum approved” bracelet to flaunt to your oblivious friends. The only thing you have to do is show appreciation for a member of the forum or an affiliate vendor.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

How expensive a stylist do I need for this haircut?

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
May 4, 2006
Messages
15,828
Reaction score
32
I am in Manhattan and looking for a great haircut. I'm willing to pay a lot (up to $75) but why pay if I don't have to? I'm not looking for a rocker or hipster look, since I work in consulting. The following is what I am going for:







So do I need an expensive stylist or will someone else do? Any recommendations in NYC? I want someone I can talk to and ask for opinions, not just someone who takes orders. Of course I want someone who is reliable, so no Supercuts. Thanks.
 

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 9, 2006
Messages
6,323
Reaction score
4
The cut itself is relatively simple. It is just thinned with texturising shears (or, if you are lucky, straight razor bit that is more a process thing; shears work just as well). Hair product is the secret to the look. As for recommendations, I don't know.
 

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 9, 2006
Messages
6,323
Reaction score
4

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
May 4, 2006
Messages
15,828
Reaction score
32
Is this seriously an out-of-style hair cut or are you just kidding around? I thought it was pretty basic.
 

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 9, 2006
Messages
6,323
Reaction score
4
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
Is this seriously an out-of-style hair cut or are you just kidding around? I thought it was pretty basic.

I would not call it out of date. Not too flashy and can be easily subdued for an interview with a government agency...
 

Spencer Young

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 26, 2005
Messages
316
Reaction score
0
Product wise, you probably want some kind of matte-finish with a good hold. I've been pretty happy with American Crew Fiber for that need.

Out of curiosity, who do you work for? I'm starting my consulting life in a month; sorry for being off topic.
 

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
May 4, 2006
Messages
15,828
Reaction score
32
Originally Posted by Spencer Young
Product wise, you probably want some kind of matte-finish with a good hold. I've been pretty happy with American Crew Fiber for that need.

Out of curiosity, who do you work for? I'm starting my consulting life in a month; sorry for being off topic.


Mercer Oliver Wyman, financial consulting.
 

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Joined
Dec 20, 2004
Messages
26,659
Reaction score
12,906
Originally Posted by skalogre
I would not call it out of date. Not too flashy and can be easily subdued for an interview with a government agency...

Longer hair in the front held up by paste/gel/whatever is kinda out, not that you should care if you like it....I personnally mostly associate it with men in their 30s, working in the corporate world, trying to pick up young girls during the weekend, having a fake tan and beaded necklaces and thinking they're totally hip.
 

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
May 4, 2006
Messages
15,828
Reaction score
32
Originally Posted by Fuuma
Longer hair in the front held up by paste/gel/whatever is kinda out, not that you should care if you like it....I personnally mostly associate it with men in their 30s, working in the corporate world, trying to pick up young girls during the weekend, having a fake tan and beaded necklaces and thinking they're totally hip.

Fair enough. I'm totally open to a new hair cut at this point, to be honest with you.

What are some hairstyles/cuts that are more hip yet still appropriate for work (or at least possible to be styled into a more conservative style)?
 

Violinist

Distinguished Member
Joined
May 12, 2006
Messages
1,907
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
Is this seriously an out-of-style hair cut or are you just kidding around? I thought it was pretty basic.

I always thought "the cliff" was kinda 1997, when cargo pants and Point Zero were big...
 

mbc

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 21, 2003
Messages
592
Reaction score
0
So what's a "current" stylish haircut?
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Face Masks: Pick Your Favorite (Choose 2)

  • Disposable surgical mask

  • White cotton mask

  • Linen-lined mask

  • "Sartorial" mask made of suiting fabric

  • Patterned mask (checks, stripes, fun print, etc.)

  • Solid color silk mask

  • "Sartorial" mask made of tie fabric

  • Sports mask made of synthetic fabric

  • Denim mask

  • Face shield


Results are only viewable after voting.

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
442,595
Messages
9,560,082
Members
199,986
Latest member
CVBCVDFSDFSDF
Top