• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How exactly does the first step in networking happen?

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Networking has always been one of my weaker points.

Here's a current opportunity for me:

I'm taking a seminar right now at my college in which I talked to a classmate, and found out that her father is a professor in the professional school that I will attend next fall (in a subject related to the seminar in fact, and one in which I may be interested in).

She gave me his e-mail.

Where do I go from here?

I'm sure this will seem like second-nature to me in the future, but I remember now how hard it was for me to cold-call people for interviews in the past, and it seems as if it's always going to be this process of acclimatization for new social tasks for an introvert such as myself.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
this a warm referral not a cold call.

My approach would be to mention who i am, that i'm friends with his daughter, Mention that i'd be attending that school and i'm looking forward to it, and ask if he has any advice or recommendations.

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks.
smile.gif

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
this a warm referral not a cold call.

My approach would be to mention who i am, that i'm friends with his daughter, Mention that i'd be attending that school and i'm looking forward to it, and ask if he has any advice or recommendations.

Good advice.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

BYucko

Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
+1

+2

If you can pull it off, maybe you can try subtly asking some stuff about him. People love talking about themselves.

Star

Reaction score
I was once told never put a person in a position by asking them directly for a favour instead ask them instead if they might know someone who could help you with what you are after. Asking for advice and their thoughts also seems like a good way as mentioned above.

Happydayz

Reaction score
That is an easy networking opportunity. Just follow the advice given earlier - in your e-mail mention your connection to his daughter, your future attendance to the school, your interest in his speciality, and ask if you can meet over lunch.

This isn't in any way an out of the ordinary request.

BDC2823

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Happydayz
That is an easy networking opportunity. Just follow the advice given earlier - in your e-mail mention your connection to his daughter, your future attendance to the school, your interest in his speciality, and ask if you can meet over lunch.

This isn't in any way an out of the ordinary request.

+1

Perfect advice. Best way to gain knowledge and make a good contact. Definitely a Golden opportunity.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads