• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How essential are transcripts in your first job after college?

CrazyJ

Reaction score
What I mean by this: in the last three years I've been at university, I've accrued every single letter grade multiple times each. My GPA isn't shabby (but not great either), a 3.35. But if an employer took a look at my transcripts, he'd find about 10 W's (dropped class) over a three year period, a couple F's, an Incomplete which I can't complete anymore (it's a ******* lab, what the hell am I supposed to do with that... stupid ass professor), a few C's, a **** load of B's, and a decent handful of A's.

I guess what is embarrassing is that the most common letter grade on my transcript is pretty much a W.

It's not like I don't have an explanation... I've worked ****** off as a full-time server all throughout college, and I really just do not have great time management.

If an employer were to look at my transcripts, would my amount of W's be an instant job breaker?

B1FF

Reaction score
They won't ask for a transcript.

PS - This will only be helpful if you are applying for my first job.

Cheese1

Reaction score
I'm sure they'll bring it up, but you'll have to spin it. Just say that you were a full-time server during college and paid your own way though college while maintaining a 3.4. They'll probably be impressed by your ability to keep it up that high.

Also be aware that some colleges grade differently; my school is trying to cultivate a reputation as a highly ranked school. That's great for when it actually happens, but it also means that professors outright refuse to give out As in some classes. Basically, what I'm trying to say is that GPA isn't a huge deal because every school weights them differently, so if they don't look too deeply at your transcript you may not even have to explain that at all.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
your poor time management skills are more disturbing than your Ws.

CrazyJ

Reaction score
yeah, you know some people can handle 5 or more classes AND working over 40 hours, and massive kudos to them... but I can't. I've tried, and I've dipped myself into a hole twice now in the last year, especially. I mean there's more to it than just work, as well. If I was single and living just for myself, hell yeah I think class would be easier. But I made the choice to accrue many indulgences within the last couple years, including three dogs, a fiancee, and a starter house, which requires a decent amount of commitment to keep up versus living in a furnished apartment, which most students reside in.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was conscious of this and I left my year of graduation off my resume. My resume made it look like I had graduated longer ago than I had because I was working full-time throughout most of university. Of course, I was working in the field I was ultimately looking for jobs in, not in something unrelated.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My first employer asked for my transcripts... they were an international firm. I have to assume it's more common with those types, maybe especially European firms.

Milpool

Reaction score
For students fresh out of school, as well as interns, I ask for transcripts. Generally, I give a pass if any of the bad grades were during the first two years and the final years were solid.

It has made the difference before between a few candidates. I want students to have had a fair number of laboratory classes and I want solid grades in those lab classes. I've gotten transcripts back for some kids that padded their GPA with bs classes, and had bad grades in the labs.

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
being asked for your transcript seems increasingly common. I didn't think I would need it and I could just use my final result, acted accordingly, turns out quite a few people ask for your transcript.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I was interviewing for my first job out of college. No firm asked for my transcripts and actually looked at anything other than to see if the degree was actually conferred.

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you apply for a government job it will be most likely be required. The same goes for technical/scientific or business/consulting jobs.

Most schools don't put drops early in the semester on a transcript. How late in the semester did you drop all of these classes? Was it after the add/drop deadline?

Most important to me would be the quality of your school itself, the match with your core coursework and the job requirements, and your grades in those core courses. If I was hiring a chemist, I wouldn't care about an incomplete or W in 18th C English literature or the history of Huguenot farming or labor economics in India. But, I would care about chemistry, organic chemistry, biochem, physical chemistry, etc, and other science and math coursework.

BTW, Esq. for your signature implies you are a lawyer. If you haven't completed your undergrad I'm not sure what you're trying to say with your signature.

CouttsClient

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by scurvyfreedman
If you apply for a government job it will be most likely be required. The same goes for technical/scientific or business/consulting jobs.

Most schools don't put drops early in the semester on a transcript. How late in the semester did you drop all of these classes? Was it after the add/drop deadline?

Most important to me would be the quality of your school itself, the match with your core coursework and the job requirements, and your grades in those core courses. If I was hiring a chemist, I wouldn't care about an incomplete or W in 18th C English literature or the history of Huguenot farming or labor economics in India. But, I would care about chemistry, organic chemistry, biochem, physical chemistry, etc, and other science and math coursework.

BTW, Esq. for your signature implies you are a lawyer. If you haven't completed your undergrad I'm not sure what you're trying to say with your signature.

Perhaps he's using it to denote social status...

Joe Cool

Reaction score
What's to explain?

Your academic shortcomings are due to extenuating personal circumstances and thick headed lab professors. Any company worth working for will recognize this immediately.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics