1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

How durable are silk socks?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by The Silverfox, Dec 22, 2012.

1. The Silverfox

The Silverfox Senior member

Title says it all, how many wears should I expect form a well-made pair of silk socks?

How is this compared to pure merino or compared to 70/30 merino/nylon mix socks?

2. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Senior member Dubiously Honored

The merinos are probably going to last you longer. I've got a couple pairs of silk blend socks and they tend to kind of pull and pill a lot easier.

3. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

The lifespan will depend on your lifestyle and how the socks are washed. They will certainly last longer if you only walk from the car to the office and are hand washed than if you are pounding pavement in your daily commute and machine wash.

4. lee_44106

lee_44106 Senior member

silks socks (100%) only for formal wear.

5. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

FTFY

6. The Silverfox

Of course, but I already have merino socks so I use these as my baseline. For any amount of pavement-pounding, how long will well made silk socks last compared to merinos? Half the time? About the same, about double?

Heh, and how eccentric do I need to be to get away with it? I just got my first pair in the mail yesterday and they are absolutely wonderful. I really want to never wear anything else ever.

How formal is formal? Can they be worn with suits, or are we talking morning coat/white tie here?

7. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Senior member Dubiously Honored

They will last 42.3% of the time.

8. Ferragamo4me

Ferragamo4me Member

Try Pantherella otc silk/ nylon blend otc's,very durable for my needs

9. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

Isn't there a fetish site for this sort of thing? :happy:

10. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

If you had to guess how durable would you think they are?

11. Ferragamo4me

Ferragamo4me Member

Not sure about the fetish thing.just think a thinner sock is more elegant than thicker one,I find my foot is not as cramped in shoes when wearing a thinner sock

12. Ferragamo4me

Ferragamo4me Member

13. Ferragamo4me

Ferragamo4me Member

Not sure about the fetish thing,but I find the thinner otc's as being more refine than a thicker sock,besides my foot fits better in my shoes with a thinner sock

14. lee_44106

lee_44106 Senior member

If you really want to wear pure silk socks all the time, just do it.

Why are you soliciting internet opinion/approval?

15. Ferragamo4me

Ferragamo4me Member

I could'nt agree with you more

16. The Silverfox

I thought this was the fetish site....

I have no idea, one the one hand it's very finely knitted, on the other hand it's made from a material used to make bulletproof vests.
    That's sort of why I'm asking, because I have no best guess.

The approval you can keep, but the opinions I consider to be valuable as I like to be appropriately dressed, at least when I have to. I've already made an order of more silk socks the same night I received the first pair and I fully intend on wearing them, preferably every day, but I don't consider it to be silly to want to know whether or not I'm dressed inappropriately when doing so. I'll be wearing them often either way, but if they're a big no-no for businesswear I'll just limit them to the days when I don't have to impress anyone or when I'm wearing footwear that hide them.

17. Ferragamo4me

Ferragamo4me Member

I wear them every day for business and never thought of them as inappropriate,I just don't understand what the big deal is.

18. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

Srsly, silk socks are fine for business wear if that's your thing.

May I ask how they are in terms of temperature control?

I have some seriously sheer cotton/silk blend socks that I wear in the middle eastern summer - love them.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2012
  19. Ferragamo4me

Ferragamo4me Member

I must be one of the lucky ones never really sweat much,although white collar jobs in temp controlled buildings are not a true test of temps outside,would not wear sheer silk otc's for construction jobs !

20. Xenon

Xenon Senior member

As someone who loves and wears sheer socks (I hate anything thicker) I will say that 100% silk is not as durable compared to anything blended with polyester. Silk will tolerate more stretching then merino but is less abrasion resistant such as when you walk alot. Polyester is not very pleasant in itself but it is just so much more resistant to abrasion and stretching (and more so when humid) than silk or wool that there simply is no contest. Even a 5 or 10% poly content (which forms the core of the threads) add significant strength and durability and basically your feet don,t actually come into contact with the poly.

BTW bullet proof (resisitant) vests are made using a synthetic fiber called Aramid which is much less pleasant than poly but much stronger