• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How does your environment affect your style?

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sonny58
I work for a software company where many of my peers dress in tee shirts, shorts and sandals. So I run the risk of being called out if I deviate much from that. A while back someone commented on my shoes saying that they had "outgrown" uncomfortable shoes a long time ago. He wears Birkenstocks now.
eh.gif

+1.

Amelorn

Reaction score
Oh boy. My home territory is LI, NY. Despite being adjacent to NYC, people still don't care: poorly sized T-shirts, uninventive denim/shorts, and filthy sneakers.

College did it for me. Button down shirts paired with sweaters (cotton or cashmere depending on your cash and shopping skill), blazers, scarves, myriad trousers, and shoes...my god the shoes. Styles varied significantly but all seemed to put thought and care into their dress. The americans less so. Enough of us still dressed badly. After freshman year, I invested lots in khakis, button downs, good polos, winter top coats, blazers, and shoes.

trenoire

Reaction score
Being in the midwest and in a college town as my environment, I can be overdressed in a sportcoat, slacks and a button up. From that vantage point, I find myself with 'downward pressure', for instance if I wore a tie to work - a professional environment - I'd be the only one with a tie on, let alone one of the <5% with a jacket on. I'd prefer to see the bar raised a little bit but by choice only. Among my friends, well - lakewear chic?

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I live and work in a middle/working class conservative neighborhood. I'm sure on my walks to work people think, "He must be ****." I don't give a ****. I have a few friends who are into clothing, but not many. Those who are appreciate how I dress, as I appreciate their dress. I suppose my casual wear is affected more by the neighborhood I live in, I tend to be more on the workwear side of SW&D. In the summer, unless there's an occasion, I'm in shorts and tee shirts, and if I'm just in the neighborhood with the kids and Mrs, flip flops or running shoes.

At my job I assume people see me as a bit of an eccentric. I have noticed that when I visit the inlaws, I tend to dress down a bit, where I used to be far more dressed up, but again, i see that more as a result of having two little kids, though i don't dress down as much when I'm at my family gatherings.

If I lived in Manhattan I'd probably dress very differently.

desert_fox

Reaction score
I live in Scottsdale/phx AZ so its hot out alot! I do not own heavy winter clothes, I do not wear suits in the summer (dont have too) and shorts/ short sleeve shirts play a big role

I work in finance but do not meet clients so our dress code is a bit laid back

Pantisocrat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm very casual kind of guy. I only dress up when I have to do it. The reason I go casual is that I like to get **.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pantisocrat
I'm very casual kind of guy. I only dress up when I have to do it. The reason I go casual is that I like to get **.

That's what I've seen too. Guys dressed in casual wear seem to get more BJs than dressed-up guys. Why is that I wonder?

Pantisocrat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Back in the days, the more dressy you are the more money you make. These days, people who have to dress up to go to work tend to be in middle management-like most people on this forum. I go casual and smile a lot. I'm also a little fat so I don't like anything form fitting.

southernstyle

Reaction score
I'm only 21 and from the South which affects my clothing very much so. Since I don't currently hold a 9 to 5 (college senior) which requires me to wear trousers during the summer I mainly wear shorts or seersucker/ madras trousers out at night in the summer. I'd consider my style some what of an ivy league student, who enjoys the outdoors and studied abroad in Italy. I've stopped growing from what I assume so I have saved up and invested in a few nice MTM cutaway collar shirts, Barbour, and other items alike. I definitely spend more money on clothing than most of my friends but at the same time I get great satisfaction out of it and see MTM and bespoke clothing to be an art form and something to aspire too. I guess my clothing addiction is better than spending my money on drugs.
laugh.gif
I'm just here to learn.
teacha.gif

Philip

Reaction score
well i'm currently at university in Sydney Australia and as far as most people here think, at least those who think they have unquestionable authority on style prescribe to a rather gaudy hipster aesthetic. thrift shopping, skinny jeans, vans, olive military parkas, doc martens, etc.

None of that appeals nor affects me at all. I typically stick to a lighter, ivy-style casual suiting type thing: linen blazers, chinos, cotton ties, Bass Weejuns, madras shirts (not too colourful), and gingham, with a more lively colour palette. While everyone walks around with canvas tote bags, I walk about with a brown leather gladstone bag, and as such I'm stared upon as if a fool, but i know what i feel comfortable in and damn the rest of them. People feel intimidated by the way i dress, and girls don't show much interest because i don't look like a typical hipster.

My friends (the few i care to have) are pretty much hipsters and i don't influence what they wear vice versa. The only person who seems to like how i dress is my girlfriend, the only other person who i would consider stylish.

But I can't completely blame my style, I might be only 19, but my mentality is as old and grumpy as ever. I'd rather go to the Opera than go to any concerts like Ty Segall the other night, and i rather be home at night reading Heisenberg than out late with friends at parties talking dribble. Other than that, Sydney offers a limtied lifestyle for someone like me, what can be done has been done, and all i can do for now till i'm old and rich enough to leave is stay home which is just as bad and read about how far ahead the rest of the world has gone.

Reaction score
tropics. not really high powered job. wear bespoke shirts just like my boss though lol! iz probably why he hired me. seriously. rarely need a suit but they're cheap-ish here. he does wear them more than i do. i'm mostly a summer dresser. could look sloppy with the looseness. i like expat style though i dunno what that means. i guess i saw this look book once in gq. an american abroad. i liked that. colonial tan. linen.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Out in rural Oz where I am its hot and dry in summer so no humidity. I used to wear a lot of linen trousers and shirts in summer when it got over 30c. Casually it was polos and shorts. Summer by the coast is a ***** high humidity so linen just ends up looking stuffed so switch to Bills they hold there shape a lot better and you can wear sandals. Other wise when the heat is on its shorts, had a thing for years for Bombay bloomers but scarce as hen's teeth these days to find and no label does them so cargos. But I am big one for natural fabrics all cotton polos and pants, mind you found wool socks work better in summer.

Winter its brass monkey weather at present, wind off the snow line which cuts straight through even with hat, gloves. scarf and overcoat. Cashmere jumpers have been my biggest acquisition the past couple of years. So its layers have just bought a couple of OCBD shirts which are in high rotation will probably buy more soon.

As for individual style well I would have to classify my self as a post 50's Noir kind of guy, and living in a middle class neighbourhood I find that I stand out from the rest of the herd which suits me fine.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads