1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

How Does Wool/Linen Mix Wrinkle?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by quercus, Sep 3, 2010.

1. quercus

quercus New Member

I'm mulling to buy a 52% wool 48% linen suit. How does it wrinkle compared with full linen and full wool?

2. landshark

landshark Well-Known Member

About half as much

3. quercus

quercus New Member

really that simple?

4. Chips

Chips Well-Known Member

It wrinkles right where the cloth bunches up against itself. You know, like an accordion.

Goes well with Allen Edmonds seconds.

5. romafan

romafan Well-Known Member

i'm wearing a wool/linen tie today. it's totally non-wrinkled

*whoops - there's mohair, too (50/28/22-m/w/l)

6. quercus

quercus New Member

thanks romafan! first sensible reply... just bough a brown pinstripe RL on yoox on your comments. i plan to wear it at the office so non-wrinkling is a must. thanks!

7. quercus

quercus New Member

argh! well i can always send it back...

8. romafan

romafan Well-Known Member

thanks romafan! first sensible reply... just bough a brown pinstripe RL on yoox on your comments. i plan to wear it at the office so non-wrinkling is a must. thanks!

[​IMG] suit & tie might not be best comparison....

9. Despos

Despos Well-Known Member

There is no generic answer. Depends on the weaving and quality of the wool & linen. I have a wool and linen suit from Moxon cloth. It wrinkles. Not as deeply as all linen cloth but it wrinkles. It is the optimal cloth if you want to wear linen without the resort look. If your office is not open to a more casual look it may not work or be appropriate. The suit will have a seasonal aspect to it. You won't be wearing it year round.

10. phoenixrecon

phoenixrecon Well-Known Member

if it wrinkles you might get fired.....

11. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Well-Known Member

I'm mulling to buy a 52% wool 48% linen suit. How does it wrinkle compared with full linen and full wool?
    More than wool and less than linen. [​IMG] What were you expecting, a function such that f(x,y)=w where x and y are the linen/wool percentages and w is the resultant wrinkliness coefficient?

12. asdf

asdf Well-Known Member

More than wool and less than linen. [​IMG]

What were you expecting, a formula such that f(x,y)=w where x and y are the linen/wool percentages and w is the resultant wrinkliness coefficient?

[​IMG]

13. oldog/oldtrix

oldog/oldtrix Well-Known Member

There is no generic answer. Depends on the weaving and quality of the wool & linen. I have a wool and linen suit from Moxon cloth. It wrinkles. Not as deeply as all linen cloth but it wrinkles. It is the optimal cloth if you want to wear linen without the resort look. If your office is not open to a more casual look it may not work or be appropriate. The suit will have a seasonal aspect to it. You won't be wearing it year round.

What he said (worn for about 4 hours standing, sitting, walking):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Iceball

Iceball Well-Known Member

I have a similar mix wool linen Pal Zileri suit. It wrinkles a little more than pure wool but is much less prevalent than pure linen. For warm weather I'd say it is an excellent suit option but as Despos says it will vary a fair bit on the cloth and mix, some mixes do seem to wrinkle almost as much as pure linen.

15. Sym

Sym Well-Known Member

I think it wrinkles a lot, no other explanation as to why this was written....

"Neither shall a garment mingled of linen and woolen come upon thee." -- Leviticus 19:19

16. dsmolken

dsmolken Well-Known Member

IME it will wrinkle a lot more than pure wool.

17. AnGeLiCbOrIs

AnGeLiCbOrIs Well-Known Member