How does this Sunspel Polo Shirt Look On me?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by jakeyt, Aug 27, 2011.

1. jakeyt

jakeyt Senior member

I just got a Sunspel shirt and can return it within 20 days. I was wondering how you thought it looked on me?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You think its too big or too small?

2. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

neck opening is too small for your well developed traps, body is too big for your body (see the diagonal lines where the fabric just drapes off you, and how the back just 'hangs'?), and it's a bit on the short side.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2011

3. jakeyt

jakeyt Senior member

Dang. Too small? I was thinking I could get it tailored for the body...

4. jakeyt

jakeyt Senior member

Think I should send it back or does it look good?

5. david123

david123 Senior member

He was right, the neck is too small, although that's probably the way they're all cut, and it's too baggy in the body. Tailoring is not a crazy idea. the neck isn't that bad, and I've had good luck having polos narrowed. I'd just tell the tailor the exact measurements you want for the chest/waist/hem rather than have him pin it up. The shoulders are a little big though, so it might be worth sizing down 1.

6. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

it's not the 'size', it's the cut. it doesn't work for your body shape. so don't get hung up on size, just shape and fit...

7. ezlau

ezlau Senior member

I would return it, and get the Riviera knit (bond 007 inspired polo) for $125 off Mr Porter. I usually wear slimmer 15.5/39 shirts and the S size fits me really well. The Bond polo is cut to flatter your body, and I love that polo so much. Been wearing it about 10 times now (hand wash) and the color/collar still remains nice. Got mine for about $105 from ASOS during their sale.

8. StarterStyle

StarterStyle Senior member

I'm going to need a picture of your monstrous arms.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2011

9. david123

david123 Senior member

Ah, is that the plain jersey rather than the Riviera? If so, I second the above advice.

10. jakeyt

jakeyt Senior member

Yes. This is the Riviera Polo.

11. ezlau

ezlau Senior member

Kinda hard for me to see the pocket on your shirt to identify if it was the Riviera, but I think you should go a size down.

12. Blackhood

Blackhood Senior member

I'm afraid the cut is just wrong. You need RLBL style cuts; broad shoulders and narrow waists.

This is simply too large in the body. If you have a good tailor you may consider having it slimmed. Personally for the price of Sunspell and a decent tailor I would consider some customs or other high end brands.

13. jakeyt

jakeyt Senior member

Most shirts I buy never directly fit me. When I buy a dress shirt, I have to get it tailored down. If the size is relatively workable (shoulders, neck, etc.) then I can (hopefully) get it tailored down to something nice.

I got it for $60 online. I figured I can pay to get it tailored right (if the fit is reasonable). Otherwise I can buy a size down from Sunspel for $120.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2011

14. jakeyt

jakeyt Senior member

15. The_Foxx

The_Foxx Senior member

hey, jakeyt-- how's it goin, man?

If this is the Bond model, i have the same one. to be honest, the care is sort of a pain (almost better to send it to the cleaners, believe it or not....the fabric isn't the easiest to maintain, and picks up lint). My Bond polo is also the shirt that makes me look the most "buff," because of the cut and shorter length.

that said, i wear it in the summer a lot, especially good with light khakis or straight cut white jeans.....and the omega seamaster GMT, of course :)

as others have pointed out, for the ideal fit and look in polo shirts, you might want to look at Polo custom fit models, or the black label polos (on ebay or polo outlet....too damned expensive at retail for a polo shirt)