• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How does this suit look on me?

jakeyt

Reaction score
Well, there isn't an L for this. It's a take it or leave it. So I'm wondering if I should keep it and tailor it. Or send it back.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jakeyt
Updates of the jacket closed including side shot.

IMG_2946.jpg

IMG_2947.jpg

http://s3.postimage.org/5fj9s4jw8/IMG_2946.jpg

http://s3.postimage.org/5fjd378vs/IMG_2947.jpg

Why is it so difficult to produce picture that shows your feet so that the length of the trousers and any bearing that has on fit can be established?

jakeyt

Reaction score
It's not. No one asked and I didn't link the length of the pants mattered. I can always make the pants longer. I can't make the jacket long or wider...

tgt465

Reaction score
The length of the pants don't matter so much, but the length of your legs do to some extent. Those with short legs relative to their torso can probably opt for a shorter jacket more easily than someone with longer legs. People here (as I did) probably assumed you were of average proportions and gave advice according to that assumption. But if you're actually of a short- or long-legged variety, then it can make a difference.

jakeyt

Reaction score
Well I'm 6'2" or 6'3" I'd say long legs. But nothing tailoring pants I don't think would hurt. Like slimmer pants should make it look sleak?

tgt465

Reaction score
It's not a question of tailoring the pants. If your legs are longer than your torso, you should consider a longer jacket for balance.

Some people use the rule of thumb that the jacket length should be half the distance from the neck to the floor. Other people use the rule that the bottom edge of the jacket should lie at the thumb knuckle. For most people, this works out to about the same length, but if your legs are especially long there could be a significant difference.

Having said all that, the jacket length is likely workable. Maybe it could be a little longer, but you can chalk that up to fashion (since shorter jackets are apparently "in" now). For future purchases, you probably should be buying L instead of R, though.

Edit to add: By the way, you may already know this, but if the sleeve has working buttons, that will make lengthening the sleeves much more difficult, if not totally impractical.

BerryWall

Reaction score
I would advise you not to keep the suit, no matter how well made it is, or how well priced it is.
The jacket is much too short for you and the sleeves need to be let down an amount that would seem to exceed the extra that is available.
I would rather have an inexpensive suit that fits right than an expensive suit of superior quality that will never fit correctly or look right. I have passed on more beautiful clothing that was priced at bargain levels because it truly was not my size, no matter how much I wished it to be.

jakeyt

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BerryWall
I would advise you not to keep the suit, no matter how well made it is, or how well priced it is.
The jacket is much too short for you and the sleeves need to be let down an amount that would seem to exceed the extra that is available.
I would rather have an inexpensive suit that fits right than an expensive suit of superior quality that will never fit correctly or look right. I have passed on more beautiful clothing that was priced at bargain levels because it truly was not my size, no matter how much I wished it to be.

Why would you say that? With a little tailoring it would look very modern and nice.

jakeyt

Reaction score
I got it from another person. Similar suit dimensions and have similar suits the same size as this one/his.

AlexE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BerryWall
The jacket is much too short for you
I think one can argue whether the jacket is rather a bit short or still within normal range, but it is certainly not MUCH too short. Look at the side view. The butt is covered. I know some folks follow a thumb-knuckle-rule. Firstly I think this is nonsense, since the jacket primarily needs to look good relative to the torso and legs. And unless you have perfect arm-to body proportions, this won't be the case with this rule (imagine this rule applied to someone with short arms: you will end up with the butt not fully covered). Secondly, even with the knuckle-rule applied, the jacket of the OP is not excessively short: We are talking about 1-2 cm here. I doubt that you will get an OTR jacket which is perfect in length down to less than a centimeter.

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting, from the photos I'd never suggest you were the same height as me. Certainly your height suggests you should be wearing a Long.

My take is that the jacket is too short, but this is exacerbated by the buttoning point, which looks quite a long way down the jacket hence makes it look out of balance.

I'd also second the view the sleeves are too short. Both can be corrected by a competent tailor, but it'll add quite a bit to the cost of the suit. Get a quote and see if the purchase price plus alterations still makes it a compelling purchase.

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This time light it on fire and step into it...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads