• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How does this suit jacket fit me?

armtash

Reaction score
It is a DKNY suit that I got for pretty cheap, about 160. Is the dimple at the shoulder acceptable? My chest is a 42, however I have wide shoulders. Should I consider returning it to get another? My budget is quite low, so if I cant find anything else at one of the outlet stores I would have to get one of the cheapo no name brands from downtown, the kinds that are 2 for $200.

Also, I will be taking my suit to the tailor to get it all done. It would be my first time going, anyone have any advice? Do I have to specify what I want or will the tailor know what to do?

Also, most of my dress shirts dont fit all that well. Is it common to have these tailored as well? How much would it all cost for an average tailor for the jacket, pants, and dress shirt?

**REMOVED PICS**

** SCROLL DOWN TO SEE THE PICS OF MY SECOND PURCHASE **

Last edited:

redboat

Reaction score
It is a DKNY suit that I got for pretty cheap, about 160. Is the dimple at the shoulder acceptable? My chest is a 42, however I have wide shoulders. Should I consider returning it to get another? My budget is quite low, so if I cant find anything else at one of the outlet stores I would have to get one of the cheapo no name brands from downtown, the kinds that are 2 for $200.

Also, I will be taking my suit to the tailor to get it all done. It would be my first time going, anyone have any advice? Do I have to specify what I want or will the tailor know what to do?

Also, most of my dress shirts dont fit all that well. Is it common to have these tailored as well? How much would it all cost for an average tailor for the jacket, pants, and dress shirt?

I personally could not live with that level of shoulder divet and would have my tailor alter it, or return it for the next size down.

redboat

Reaction score
I personally could not live with that level of shoulder divet and would have my tailor alter it, or return it for the next size down.
Altering the shoulder is unfortunately pretty expensive, probably around $150.

armtash

Reaction score
Thats fine, I can return it. However, how should I proceed in terms of what size to get? Should I bump up the chest size so that the shoulders fit well? Or will I be able to find a better fitting suit that is 42R by another brand?

redboat

Reaction score
Thats fine, I can return it. However, how should I proceed in terms of what size to get? Should I bump up the chest size so that the shoulders fit well? Or will I be able to find a better fitting suit that is 42R by another brand?
Shoulder alterations are the most expensive to make. Try to get a jacket with the shoulders fitting perfectly. If the waist or chest are too large, they can be slimmed down with less cost. Shortening the sleeves is also relatively inexpensive unless the coat has actual working buttons, but that is unlikely in the price range you are considering.

42R in one brand will not be the same in another. You will need to try on each brand, and you may find different sizes fit you better in other brands.

armtash

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I just replaced the suit with a Calvin Klien 43R "Super Slim". The shoulder area seems a little bit better. Let me know what you guys think.

redboat

Reaction score
Yes, looks better to me in the shoulders (although the photos are a little fuzzy). But the sleeves definitely need to be shortened and the chest/waist may need to come in. I think the sleeve alterations are typically around $20-$30 (for both), and taking in the chest/waist is around $40-$50.

Suggest reposting your photos and questions in the thread at the link below. It is devoted to fit suggestions by professional tailors. They may have more detailed suggestions (and greater expertise). Be clear about your budget concerns, etc. It would help if you could get someone else to take better quality photos in brighter light from the front, side, and back while you stand naturally with your arms at your side.
http://www.styleforum.net/t/265924/the-tailors-thread-fit-feedback-and-alteration-suggestions

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads