• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How does this suit fit (Lanieri)

Angel91

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I’m new to the forum, so excuse me if I’m making mistakes by posting this here. I’ve recently decided that I need a suit, and after visiting several shops and realizing how difficult it is to find something for my body type (168cm and wide shoulders) I opted for lanieri MTM. What do you guys think about the fit? Apart from the sleeves being too long and the trousers a bit wide, which are the only things I can spot being not as knowledgeable as you guys are.
Thanks!!

Attachments

• B14FB81C-EAFE-4FD5-B1C4-D871BD143DC6.jpeg
    B14FB81C-EAFE-4FD5-B1C4-D871BD143DC6.jpeg
    92.8 KB · Views: 478
  • 58EACBF5-DCE4-40DD-A224-099C7CD32FBA.jpeg
    58EACBF5-DCE4-40DD-A224-099C7CD32FBA.jpeg
    81.2 KB · Views: 467
  • 2AA75319-F45D-43BD-837D-CAEC50C1219C.jpeg
    2AA75319-F45D-43BD-837D-CAEC50C1219C.jpeg
    107.2 KB · Views: 400
  • 410F30F3-2EB3-46F9-84BE-5703793FA5D1.jpeg
    410F30F3-2EB3-46F9-84BE-5703793FA5D1.jpeg
    91.8 KB · Views: 466
  • E4BCC283-26F8-43B1-B65A-5026E3F628C1.jpeg
    E4BCC283-26F8-43B1-B65A-5026E3F628C1.jpeg
    92.8 KB · Views: 472

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm afraid that suit doesn't fit you well.

The jacket's collar should hug your neck, even as you move around (within reason). But certainly, at the very least, it should hug your neck while standing still. When you try on a jacket, look for this first and foremost. Your jacket collar stands very far from your neck.

The sleeves are too long. Depending on how the buttonholes on your sleeve have been finished, this may be an expensive alteration.

You should not button the last button on your suit jacket. The pocket shape also looks strange for the coat.

The back of the trousers don't hang very cleanly. If the trousers are sitting at your waist, it looks like they can also be hemmed a little. The trousers shouldn't have that much fabric around your ankles.

If you can get a refund, I recommend going for that. It would be too expensive to alter everything and get it to look good.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Most guys take a while to figure out what fits them well, so it's a common learning curve.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ I’m not sure there’s anything else that needs to be said. Get your money back and move on.

I’m not familiar with the brand. I’ll assume it’s an online made to measure/order company. If I could anything anything more to the analysis above, it’s to avoid online ordering of tailored clothing. Get it done in person or buy off the rack and adjust.

Angel91

Reaction score
Thank you, guys. I'll refer that to the brand and ask for a refund. Any other advice is welcome

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thank you, guys. I'll refer that to the brand and ask for a refund. Any other advice is welcome

Some thoughts:

1. It's always easier to buy suits off the rack, as you can then put them back on the rack if you don't like them. With custom clothing, things are final sale. Some customer clothiers allow you to make returns, but they are always the bad ones. Good custom clothiers don't allow you to make returns, but not all custom clothiers who don't offer returns are good.

Trying things off the rack will allow you to better understand your fit issues and help you develop a sense of personal taste when it comes to cloth, silhouettes, and various styles. If you need a suit for an upcoming occasion, buy something very conservative. Otherwise, keep trying things on; browse forums, blogs, and Instagram; and develop an eye for what looks good. This can take many years (literally). If you're not in a rush to get a suit, give yourself two or three years to develop an eye for tailored clothing. You can then better understand what looks good on you.

2. Most men can find something off-the-rack. However, if you need custom clothes, then you're always better suited to finding a place that can meet and fit you in person.

There aren't very many good custom clothiers left in the world. Depending on your location and budget, you can try posting here for suggestions. Some people may be able to direct you to a good tailor.

There are two types of custom clothes: made to measure and bespoke.

Made to measure means a pattern is adjusted from a block pattern, using your measurements. The further you deviate from this block, the more likely your suit won't fit. You have to be within a certain distance of the block pattern for it to work out. Unfortunately, it's very hard to find good salespeople these days, so sometimes you'll walk into a MTM shop and the salesperson won't let you know (correctly) if you'll fit into their block.

The other option is bespoke, which means the pattern is drafted from scratch. Some bespoke tailors also use block patterns, but they can better adjust things by hand and, essentially, create a new pattern. The good news is that bespoke is better able to accommodate difficult figures. The bad news is that -- like with RTW and MTM -- there aren't very many good bespoke tailors these days. And if you buy something bespoke, it is final sale. If you're located in a certain city and can give your budget, I can see if I know of any options in your area.

My general advice:

1. If you buy custom clothing, be prepared to pay a lot of money. Something in the neighborhood of $3,000 for a sport coat and $5,000 for a suit. Good custom clothing is expensive because it requires a lot of labor. Beware of cheap custom clothes, as it will result in things like the above.

There are some exceptions to this -- some tailors in Sicily and Naples are very cheap ($1,000 for a sport coat, $1,500 for a suit). There are also good MTM operations around that price. But start with the expectation that quality custom clothes will cost you money.

2. If you're searching for a custom tailor, try to get recommendations from people who have a lot of experience in this area. Find people who have tried that specific tailor. Get their candid and private opinions. For some reason, people who buy custom clothes don't always share their true opinions openly online.

3. When choosing a custom tailor, start with the silhouette and house style. This is where trying ready-to-wear garments can help. Try things on, develop an eye, and get a taste for different silhouettes. Allow yourself some time to develop these things.

4. Always helps to have a good alterations tailor in your city who can fix issues. This specific suit isn't worth saving, but you may want to hunt for a good alterations tailor now. Sometimes they can be handy even if you buy custom clothes, but certainly if you buy ready to wear.

Last edited:

Angel91

Reaction score
I really appreciate your advice. I hope things were presented so easily when i started looking for options. I really thought I was making the right choice. I’ll go to local shops and try out what they have. In the end, I live in Italy, as you said, it should be easier than anywhere else.

NATAZ

Reaction score
I really appreciate your advice. I hope things were presented so easily when i started looking for options. I really thought I was making the right choice. I’ll go to local shops and try out what they have. In the end, I live in Italy, as you said, it should be easier than anywhere else.
Please let us know what Lanieri replayed to you? did you get a refound at the end?
thanks.

Angel91

Reaction score
Yes I did, they were very understanding and agreed that the fit was terrible. They refunded everything without fuss.
In fact,the way they handled it has made me consider buying suits from them in the future, but only with fittings on site!

NATAZ

Reaction score
Yes, I did, they were very understanding and agreed that the fit was terrible. They refunded everything without fuss.
In fact,the way they handled it has made me consider buying suits from them in the future, but only with fittings on site!
That's great to hear. I have just ordered a suit from them the other week and had it fitted on-site in their Millan store. will update.

Angel91

Reaction score
Great. They have great price for what they offer, I hope it comes out well for you. Let us know!

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ I’m not sure there’s anything else that needs to be said. Get your money back and move on.

I’m not familiar with the brand. I’ll assume it’s an online made to measure/order company. If I could anything anything more to the analysis above, it’s to avoid online ordering of tailored clothing. Get it done in person or buy off the rack and adjust.
Lanieri is a MTM outfit that uses almost exclusively Loro Piana fabric. It has four stores in Italy and a handful more in Northern Europe. I heard it recently merged with or was acquired by another company and could be changing its marketing strategy. I’ve been meaning to check out the Rome store but haven’t yet.

Angel91

Reaction score
Not completely true, they use all kind of fabrics. They’ve been bought by Reda, a famous lanificio from biella

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not completely true, they use all kind of fabrics. They’ve been bought by Reda, a famous lanificio from biella
Right hence my hedge with the word “almost.” Thanks for more detail on the ownership change. I imagine now they will shift to more material from Reda.

Last edited:

tilesomoole

Reaction score
That's great to hear. I have just ordered a suit from them the other week and had it fitted on-site in their Millan store. will update.

I'm glad the OP got the refund without a hassle, that fit is just awful. I am currently waiting for my second shirt to arrive and depending on the fit will consider buying a suit from Lanieri as well - their fabrics look great. I am curious to see how yours turns out.

Litigation Cures All

Reaction score
Yes I did, they were very understanding and agreed that the fit was terrible. They refunded everything without fuss.

Lanieri is a great online MTM shop. Online MTM is high risk b/c you’re not being professionally measured. A much safer course is to measure a suit jacket that fits your properly and send in those measurements. I own a pair of Lanieri trousers and a suit and SC from Oliver Wicks (another European online MTM shop). I was super careful in measuring myself. Had my girlfriend follow the directions to a T and double and triple checked measurements. This resulted in a very close fit on the first try. It often takes multiple tries before dialing in the perfect fit. When you do, use the actual jacket measurements going forward as they will work at most other MTM shops.

Strongly recommend Spier & Mackay OTR to start. I started with Oliver Wicks and Lanieri and moved over to S&M to find the quality and construction far superior. Ultimately, you’re going to need to go to a local alterations tailor no matter what to dial in the fit at the end of the day, so for me, unless I go full bespoke, I find OTR/MTO makes more sense.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads