• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How does this "sharksin" slim suit look on me?

Randomrazr

Reaction score
so i ended up picking up the shark skin suit i linked. it was on clearance and i thought what the heck, can return if it doesnt look good. i currently have a black suit and advice from other threads about suits suggested charcoal or grey or navy of some kind as a good another suit.

to anyone looking at this thread, the sharkskin material is still wool, says 100% on label, but it feels and looks different. looks, it adds a bit of a "sheen" as another RFDer mention. and the feel, if u ever felt those microfiber cloths before, thats exactly how it feels, very soft and nice to the touch.

the suit is amazingly made in canada from michael kors.

its SUPER slim fit, like it should have been labeled as "extreme slim fit".

how do you guys think it looks? i need to get the legs hemed and the waist extended by 1 inch since its a 29 and i usually wear 30 if i decide to keep.

the jacket is a 36 S. arm length and jacke tlength look good. the shoulder "feel" a bit tight but "looks" ok? debating whether to exchange it for a 38 to try.

what do you guys think of how it looks/fits?

it was 299...plus import feels and taxes brought it nearly 400 XD

061A9312.jpg

061A9313.jpg

061A9314.jpg

061A9315.jpg

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The back suit collar should be resting on your shirt without any gap.

jts287

Reaction score
Ehh, a little gap. Hardly noticeable imo, and could be due to how you're twisting in that photo.

You might need to lose an inch or two on the pant length, other than that, good to go.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Doesn't look good at all, but I can't especially see why. The cloth looks fine, have you just brought it home and put it straight on? If you let the suit hang for a couple of days and try again, this might well be why it does you not do you justice. It will look far better and we will get a better chance to comment

You really should wear shoes when seeking such opinions as they can and do throw the whole thing out. As it is, I rather think the trousers are up to an inch too long; good to go for a break but this looks a tad too much. With minor changes such as that I think that you will be there. I am guessing that you are 17/18; if I am near right, your body will mature over the next five years and this may fit better for a while and then less so. It is roomy now which you will take up but then it won't be roomy enough.

Don't be discouraged, you are well down the correct path and attention to some detail should make it very presentable.

Randomrazr

Reaction score
Doesn't look good at all, but I can't especially see why. The cloth looks fine, have you just brought it home and put it straight on? If you let the suit hang for a couple of days and try again, this might well be why it does you not do you justice. It will look far better and we will get a better chance to comment

You really should wear shoes when seeking such opinions as they can and do throw the whole thing out. As it is, I rather think the trousers are up to an inch too long; good to go for a break but this looks a tad too much. With minor changes such as that I think that you will be there. I am guessing that you are 17/18; if I am near right, your body will mature over the next five years and this may fit better for a while and then less so. It is roomy now which you will take up but then it won't be roomy enough.

Don't be discouraged, you are well down the correct path and attention to some detail should make it very presentable.

mid 20s actualy. typical skinny build. (i need to eat more adn work out)

asside from the fact the pants need to be hemmed, what were the other issues u say it doesnt look good at all?

its a slim fit, so the suit actually feels really "fitted", there is barely any room on the jacket or pants.

aj805

Reaction score
I would say it would look ok for what it is, except the collar gap may be a problem. It may have just been sitting on you funny when you took the pictures, but the jacket collar should be snug against your shirt collar around the side and the back.
If it doesn't without constant adjustment, then it doesn't fit well and I'd keep looking for something that does, because it looks bad.

Otherwise the fit is ok-- in addition to the hemming the pants I would also shorten the sleeves as well (shirtsleeves, too).

Mute

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
mid 20s actualy. typical skinny build. (i need to eat more adn work out)

asside from the fact the pants need to be hemmed, what were the other issues u say it doesnt look good at all?

its a slim fit, so the suit actually feels really "fitted", there is barely any room on the jacket or pants.

The chest and shoulders are a bit large for you but if you're really committed to making this work, I suggest you take it to a tailor and clean it up a bit. Also, those narrow lapels need to be paired with a thinner tie. You're thin as it is. With those lapels, the width of the tie you have on dwarves the suit and you with it.

Randomrazr

Reaction score
The chest and shoulders are a bit large for you but if you're really committed to making this work, I suggest you take it to a tailor and clean it up a bit. Also, those narrow lapels need to be paired with a thinner tie. You're thin as it is. With those lapels, the width of the tie you have on dwarves the suit and you with it.

the shoulders are actually lined up. like the side/edge of the jacket is lined up with the side of my shoulder. is that what ur refering too?

jts287

Reaction score
I don't have the experience (or eye) that many here do, but I'll reiterate that in my opinion, hemming the pants is really all you need. You do want a skinnier tie though (like 2.5-3 in width) and press the wrinkles out of the suit (or have a drycleaner do it).

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
First, try on the suit with actual dress shoes on. But the pant legs definitely look too long, dress shirt is too long which makes the suit sleeve length difficult to judge. I think the waist can be taken in a bit. The chest also looks a little big. The suit is probably 1 size to large on you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads