• We would like to welcome American Trench as an official Affiliate Vendor. American Trench is a Philadelphia based outerwear, apparel, and accessories brand, making all of its products in the United States at (mostly) family owned factories. . Please visit the American Trench thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

How does this linen chore jacket fit me?

Mr Tickle

Reaction score
Obviously arms are a little long - so they are bunched up in this pic. Would either wear them rolled or get them shortened if this is a keeper.

It feels a little big but how does it look around the neck/ shoulders? I have a feeling it would be too tight if I sized down.

Bonus question: Can I wear this with an off-white/cream/beige underlayer? Or does it need to be an under layer with more contrast ? PXL_20220520_140038446.jpg PXL_20220520_140122052.jpg PXL_20220520_140137332.jpg

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would try sizing down. I think something like this should look relaxed but this looks a little too large IMO. Since something like this should almost always be worn open/unbuttoned, I don’t think I’d worry if it looked a little snug buttoned up but relaxed with it open.

I don’t think it goes with those trousers. You want something summery (fabric, color) and relaxed (wider, more flowy silhouette) as well.

Last edited:

Mr Tickle

Reaction score
I would try sizing down. I think something like this should look relaxed but this looks a little too large IMO. Since something like this should almost always be worn open/unbuttoned, I don’t think I’d worry if it looked a little snug buttoned up but relaxed with it open.

I don’t think it goes with those trousers. You want something summery (fabric, color) and relaxed (wider, more flowy silhouette) as well.
Are these trousers a better match? Same colour more or less but linen rather than thickish cotton chinos. Not sure if this is a summery colour but all I can think of that would definitely be a summery colour would be pale creams/ off-white, which I think would be too close to the colour of the jacket to look good? (Tried it anyway so you can make your mind up).

PXL_20220523_202634293.jpg PXL_20220523_204825467.jpg

Leiker

Reaction score
Looks too big to me, a little longer than is my preference for a chore coat as well

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just my two cents. I think all of these outfits very generally have a very similar silhouette to one another, just different in terms of materials. For example, the dark-colored linen trousers in your most recent photo don't look all that different in terms of the overall styling and silhouette from the cotton chinos in your first photo. They're just made from a different material.

A linen chore coat (forgetting about how well it fits you for now) is basically a casual summer layering piece. The rest of the outfit has to communicate a casual summer look. I think the T-shirt in the first picture could work but the thick dark brown belt and the trousers don't work. In the later photos, it looks like you could be wearing the chore coat over something you'd wear to casual Friday at the office.

I like some of the things that Ethan Wong does here with a similar-looking coat:
But I don't like all of the looks on that page (e.g. with the tie)

A striped T-shirt and light wash jeans with white snakers -- all very casual
Screen Shot 2022-05-24 at 2.01.43 PM.png

Less casual but with a camp collar shirt
notice how the trousers are also dark here but it works because of the shirt IMO.

Screen Shot 2022-05-24 at 2.02.13 PM.png

Mr Tickle

Reaction score
Well, I've put this chore coat up for sale now, as I agree that it's a little big for me.
Looking for a new one,preferably 100% linen rather than the linen / cotton mix of this one - any ideas where to look for a good one?

Mr Tickle

Reaction score
I like that Spier one but ordering from there is always a chore (ho ho) for me because of postage and import duty.

I found this one in an outlet store near me, instead - smaller size than the one in the pictures above. Is this a better fit, and are these styling choices ok?

(Yes they are mostly the same as the outfits I made with the larger jacket but hoping the better fit of the overshirt makes them more acceptable. I think the linen one is ok, not sure about the chinos and chukka boots fit. But I am interested in ways I can wear this shirt with items made from material other than linen).

PXL_20220630_135259939.jpg PXL_20220630_135841712.jpg

Stylewords

Reaction score
I think the fit of this one is much better and together with the design (with the two chest pockets) gives a better overall silhouette. Both outfits work well - colours are good and mixing cotton with linen generally works well.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yes, this one fits you much better.

Featured Sponsor

How Often Do You Buy New Clothing?

• 1-5 times a year

• 6-10 times a year

• Once a month

• 2-3 times a month

• Weekly