• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How does this jacket fit?

imnotfat

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm new here and was wondering if you guys can help me with the fit of this jacket. I originally posted this in the "Ask a question" thread..but unfortunately, my 30-day return period ends this week..so I would like some quick answers to return asap.

It's some random brand I bought online a few weeks ago and I'm not sure whether I should go down another size or keep it. Unfortunately, I can't afford a ToJ or a Schott..maybe in the future
drool.gif

I'm 5'7 150 lbs and this is a size 36. Do you guys think I should size down to a 34? I feel like the width of the jacket could be slimmer...but at the same time, i'm afraid if I go with a 34, the length is going to be too short. The jacket already hits the top of my belt line. Would it be considered too short if it goes above the belt line? I'm also planning to have the epaulets taken off 'cause they're sort of misaligned.

Sorry for the bad pictures, I only have a camera phone.

Should I go a size smaller?

35k8ot1.jpg

30075m8.jpg

2502tjn.jpg

2psp15k.jpg

j936fp.jpg

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I know you didn't ask, and I have no idea who you are or what your style is like, but IMO that jacket just has way too much going on. There's snaps everywhere, the zippers, epaulettes, etc.

as for fit, it looks like its sitting high off your neck and the body looks like a pretty good fit otherwise. I also think it's too short, like way too short. I don't wear jackets that start above my belt, just me though. Have you seen the red one Aegulus has?

meso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Definitely too short IMHO.

konadog

Reaction score
i used to represent andrew dice clay. PM me and i can give you his number. he'd know better than anyone on this forum.

Trenditional

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Uncontrol
aside from the epaulets (which are awful) there isn't "a lot going on" -- however, it's both too short and too wide. return it and save for ToJ

The epaulets don't look good, but I wonder if you raising your arms is affecting them. It looks to be too short, assuming your shirt is at the top of your pants. If the jacket is at the top of your pants, then I'd say tuck the t-shirt in. The excess t-shirt material hanging out the bottom doesn't look good.

BB1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yep, jacket is too short. Yep, way too much stuff going on in that jacket. You should get ToJ since it is nothing like that!

Look here at this ToJ.... Notice how much longer it is? And notice how it has far fewer zippers, snaps, and other details?

tumblr_lcngl4hu0P1qcq3abo1_400.jpg

BB1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by konadog
i used to represent andrew dice clay. PM me and i can give you his number. he'd know better than anyone on this forum.
andrew-dice-clay.jpg

BB1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Uncontrol
^ I was the only one who recommended ToJ in this thread, and for none of those reasons.
There is a kind of collective wisdom on the board here that I was referring to, and not so much your comments. For example, if he had showed us some ugly samba variant and asked for an opinion, someone from the tribe would surely chine in and say "get some GATs!" Admittedly the OP's jacket looks really cheap and dated looking. That's why everyone's hating it and not so much because of the length or amount of details. So I guess we mostly agree.

imnotfat

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the replies,

but would some of you guys mind giving me more opinions on why this jacket is no good? I'm new to this site and want to learn more about fashion and "fitment" of certain clothes.

I mean..as far as the length goes, I saw that some of the ToJs are short as well? The red jacket posted above me seems a lot shorter than the jacket I own, is that considered "fashionably acceptable"? I know the epaulets are bad, but i'm planning to have them taken off so it doesn't look out of place. lol

This jacket cost me $50 USD shipped..so I know in terms of quality, it won't match to Schott or ToJ. I just want more opinions about the jacket so I know what to look for in the future.

As far was the jacket having too much going on, that's my first reaction when the jacket came. I compared it to an online picture of the Schott Perfecto and realized the difference was the two extra pockets on the side and the adjustable straps on the side.

300zx1985

Reaction score
This style jacket just looks corny on most people man, I dont think you have the body type for it.

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jacket is no good because it has too much going on and because like you said at $50 the quality of the leather isn't very good. The double rider leather jacket already stands out on its own with the asymmetrical zip and adding the epaulets and other crap makes it scream Look at me, I'm a douchebag.

If you wanted a budget leather jacket you should check out Black Scissors (look for it on ebay in the UK). It's probably better than the one you got.

And the jacket is too short. Does it even come down to where the top of your jeans sit on you? Its not like your tee looks too long or anything. I think ideally, you should only show a few inches (2 or 3) of your shirt under your jacket. Looks like you're showing more than 4.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads