• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How does this jacket fit?

Oxford88

Reaction score
Hi all,

Long time lurker, first time poster.

Attached you will find three pictures of a "test" jacket for a well known MTM maker. Obviously the coat has not been tailored and is a generic style meant to access fit.

I've been told this coat works on me, and that when recreated with my measurements - it will fit well. What do you think? Again, keep in mind this coat is just a generic version meant to gauge size. A few notables to me: Waist is huge…remove ticket pocket, general fit looks pretty good...needs to be cleaned up in several areas...pants I am wearing and shirt are horrid (sorry threw this together). There is no padding...I have broad shoulders and it sucks.

Click on the images for a better view.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You need better pictures, but from what I can see the shoulders look a bit big, especially in the photo from the back.

Oxford88

Reaction score
Originally Posted by porcelain monkey
You need better pictures, but from what I can see the shoulders look a bit big, especially in the photo from the back.

Thanks! Sorry about the pics. Are they to small? Should I host them?

The 40 was a bit tight and the 42 (pictured) is a tad large, like you said. Hopefully providing my measurements will alleviate this issue. If not I can have my tailor touch it up, correct?

m.gway

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Oxford88
Thanks! Sorry about the pics. Are they to small? Should I host them?

The 40 was a bit tight and the 42 (pictured) is a tad large, like you said. Hopefully providing my measurements will alleviate this issue. If not I can have my tailor touch it up, correct?

I think shoulders is one item that cannot be fixed by a tailor.

letmefly

Reaction score
Hard to tell with such small pics. But yes, shoulders do seem big. Unless they make unusually bad ticket pockets I wouldn't remove it but I guess that is a matter of preference.

Maccimus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The hacking pockets are terrible. Online mtm, right?

kashish

Reaction score
hello everybody,
This is kashish here...
nice to have found this forum..hope to have good time ahead here..

deadly7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m.gway
I think shoulders is one item that cannot be fixed by a tailor.

Wrong. It can't be fixed by most run-of-the-mill tailors, yes, but experienced tailors can fix anything you want in the shoulder. The problem you run into with that is then armhole placement once everything is finished. It's also a somewhat expensive (I've heard figures up to $100) alteration...

Maccimus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Oxford88
Yes. Keep in mind, this jacket is just for fit. It's fugly.

But they will treat the end product in same way, like cutting close quarters and heavily padding the shoulders.

Oxford88

Reaction score
Made the images larger. They should be more clear if you click on them.

I have a 42 inch chest and a 33 1/2 inch waist. This coat does seem a tad large in the shoulders. Perhaps go with the 41?

Oxford88

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Maccimus
But they will treat the end product in same way, like cutting close quarters and heavily padding the shoulders.

No padding. As stated, I have pretty broad shoulders
confused.gif
I'm not a huge guy or anything, just a large drop.

Oxford88

Reaction score
Originally Posted by deadly7
Wrong. It can't be fixed by most run-of-the-mill tailors, yes, but experienced tailors can fix anything you want in the shoulder. The problem you run into with that is then armhole placement once everything is finished. It's also a somewhat expensive (I've heard figures up to $100) alteration...

Thanks for the advice.

Oxford88

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Maccimus
They are really broad!

confused.gif
It's weird because I am not a huge guy. 42 inch chest...33 inch waist. About 165 lbs. Stand me next to a big 200 lb guy and I look small.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads