• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How does this fit look to more experienced eyes

factorof2

Reaction score
Just recently purchased my first suit as a birthday gift to myself and was wondering how it looks in terms of fit. I intend to go have the shirt and pants tailored (this picture I have the pants cuffed to a more reasonable length). In my inexperience, it seems to fit quite well for an OTR and I'm pretty pleased. The angle of the picture might be a bit deceiving as it's taken from a lower point of view and due to my awkward pose at the time. I should probably point out I did quite a bit of reading here and other places before finally settling on what I felt I was looking for.

Cubits

Reaction score
Are the pants pulled up? How much air between your boys and the seam?

I'm only asking because i can see your belt, and the crotch of your pants seems to be in line with the end of your thumb. If you can wear them higher i would recommend it, and this would effect your hemming length.

Apart from that, everything else seems reasonable from the front, although the waist or hips might be a shade tight (causing the quaters to open like that).

factorof2

Reaction score
I could probably wear them higher. I just put them on at a height where they felt comfortable. I plan on relying on a professional tailor to tell me the best way they fit me and hem them appropriately. And yeah, I imagine that was actually due to the fact that I was turned slightly and leaning a bit. The fit is snug but doesn't feel constricting.

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It actually looks pretty good. The bowing lapels and stress at the button suggest it's slightly tight, but if I was slim and something RTW fit me like that I'd buy it.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Provided you don't gain weight, this is a pretty good fit. Change nothing. Your next suit should have (arguably) slightly less pull at the center button. Welcome to Styleforum factorof2. :)

Last edited:

AwfullyNiceGuy

Reaction score
I know this wasn't what you asked for, but I'm gonna bring it up anyway, is it a windsor-knot you're using? It seems rather full and too nicely shaped to be a four in hand. The only reason I bring up the point is that the preferred knot of menswear bloggers and enthusiasts seems to be the four in hand.

BTW I have no credentials in menswear at all(but intensive lurking), so take it as an advice from one styleforum newcomer to another.

factorof2

Reaction score
Perfectly valid point NiceGuy. When I looked at it the knot makes the whole tie look very large, and since it's a slim suit that is supposed to make my slim frame look better I think the tie does fine on it's own without the giant half-windsor in there. I intend to wear it with a four in hand in the future because the knot looked wrong to me in hindsight.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads