• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How does Theory justify it's pricing?

CharlesAlexander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I'm looking around Thoery the other day and I see this nice blue button down. Nothng to it, very simple, looks like it would make a decent work shirt.

$250

Made in China!

What the hell? I mean really?

mg428

Reaction score
FAIK, most Theory merchandise are Made in USA and hence good quality. Plus I like their slim style. IMHO, most of their merchandise justify their price, especially when they are on sale. You may find them in Bloomingdales for decent price. I saw some good stuff also on NM and Saks's website. Bluefly also sale many perma-sale items.

sherwin

Reaction score
I don't know how any off the rack cotton dress shirt can be justified at $250

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My fiance buys a lot of Theory stuff. Since I end up doing the laundry in our house, I see a lot of it is made in the USA, to my surprise. A couple shirts of her's, however are made in China and I think one is made in a company that starts with a "M" who's name slips my mind at the moment.

AJL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mg428
IMHO, most of their merchandise justify their price, especially when they are on sale.

confused.gif

gamblor

Reaction score
People will pay it.

I know it may be considered SF heresy but I really like some of their fabric blends.

I have pants in Wool/Polyamide/Elastene that combine the respective qualities (drape and texture, wrinkle resistance and toughness, stretch) of each while not losing anything in the combination.

CharlesAlexander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The thing is, I actually like Theory. I think they make some very nice work clothes. I once brought a great light grey Italian slim fit suit there, that I wear all the time. But there is no way you can justify a $250 button down OTR button down, and you definitely can't justify a $250 OTR button down that's made in China.

coconut

Reaction score
Usually the design justifies the price. It sounds like the way they designed this shirt, it looks the same as the shirts Lands End carries, but neither the designers nor the patrons realize that, because they do not shop from Lands End.

eidolon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CharlesAlexander
The thing is, I actually like Theory. I think they make some very nice work clothes. I once brought a great light grey Italian slim fit suit there, that I wear all the time. But there is no way you can justify a $250 button down OTR button down, and you definitely can't justify a $250 OTR button down that's made in China.

I have the same feeling about Ted Baker, but (as with Theory) I like some of the designs and I don't consider retail the "real" price I'm going to end up paying. They can justify it because they're a "big name," and big names end up being most of the discounted merchandise anyway.

polar-lemon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know if anyone else has mentioned this, but Theory's tailored clothing is made in Canada, and after studying the labels and observing a few trends, I'm guessing that Arnold Brandt makes it. In that case, it is quite decent merchandise, especially on discount; one could do much worse in the <$1000 retail suit market if you're after a slimmer fit.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by polar-lemon
I don't know if anyone else has mentioned this, but Theory's tailored clothing is made in Canada, and after studying the labels and observing a few trends, I'm guessing that Arnold Brandt makes it. In that case, it is quite decent merchandise, especially on discount; one could do much worse in the <$1000 retail suit market if you're after a slimmer fit.

I frequent the Theory boutique in Costa Mesa and have never seen anything made in Canada lately. I have a vintage (old) theory blazer I found at a consignment store labeled made in Canada, but have been hard pressed to find anything new. Maybe the Canadian is only distributed to higher end department stores? Where have you seen it?

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Honestly, I think pretty much the same way Acne does: you're paying for the styling. It might lack something in quality but the cut, often, is really very good. I have a navy cotton blazer among other items from theory and I'm very happy with it.

bullitt440

Reaction score
I like the cut and the fabric of Theory and because of that, I would probably buy something from Theory if caught my eye. I definitely agree that the cut is the real price point.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a merino zip cardigan from Theory that feels better than some cashmere. That being said I copped it at Filene's Bargain basement and would never have dropped the 295 or so retail for it.

pledge

Reaction score
J would have to disagree with most of the posters here. I remember when Theory first started out; most of the clothes were made in Italy. I still have two cashmere sweaters from them that have held up wonderfully. Since then, they've moved production to China and here in the USA, and frankly, their quality has taken a huge dowturn. If you want slim, go RLBL; that's also almost always on sale, and much better made. If you're a girl, get Theory; most girls I know re-do their entire wardrobe every season anyway. Just my 2 cents.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads