• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How does style age?

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it a collective thing, we're influenced and then change our collective impressions, or is there some sort of gestalt running through history that the visionaries follow? What is it about style that one can immediately spot a mid-2000s shirt (sorry to the guy who posted that) and say, "NO!" but when you see the latest runway shows, you're like, oh, that'd look good on me, or that's avante grade?

I was thinking about this also for my computer. I just upgraded my OS and was thinking how even the fill boxes and pinwheel of doom for Apple look better now. Is it better or just different or somehow right?

chrism2012

Reaction score
I think its mostly due to the fact that us being human desire change, and motion. As is evident, innovation is playing a large role in society today, and people are craving more and more change from what they are used to in order to set a "trend". Everyone's looking for that new trend. So it makes perfect sense that someone today would look back on that shirt from the mid-2000s and not like its sense of monotony. Style today, is moving into a realm of oddity and creativity. Runway shows today are exciting because they are pushing the limits on what is acceptable, almost in an impressionistic manner.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads