• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Hi, we have updated our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy in anticipation of the upcoming new Calfornia laws, the CCPA. If you are a resident of California, these rights pertain to you. Thanks - Styleforum Team.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

How does style age?

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it a collective thing, we're influenced and then change our collective impressions, or is there some sort of gestalt running through history that the visionaries follow? What is it about style that one can immediately spot a mid-2000s shirt (sorry to the guy who posted that) and say, "NO!" but when you see the latest runway shows, you're like, oh, that'd look good on me, or that's avante grade?

I was thinking about this also for my computer. I just upgraded my OS and was thinking how even the fill boxes and pinwheel of doom for Apple look better now. Is it better or just different or somehow right?

chrism2012

Reaction score
I think its mostly due to the fact that us being human desire change, and motion. As is evident, innovation is playing a large role in society today, and people are craving more and more change from what they are used to in order to set a "trend". Everyone's looking for that new trend. So it makes perfect sense that someone today would look back on that shirt from the mid-2000s and not like its sense of monotony. Style today, is moving into a realm of oddity and creativity. Runway shows today are exciting because they are pushing the limits on what is acceptable, almost in an impressionistic manner.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

• 7”

Votes: 59 17.4%
  • 7.5”

Votes: 114 33.6%
  • 8”

Votes: 102 30.1%
  • 8.5”

Votes: 36 10.6%
  • 9”

Votes: 13 3.8%
  • 9.5”

Votes: 7 2.1%