How does one work 50+ hours a week?

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by longskate88, Aug 8, 2008.

1. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

its this attitude right here that has you working 90 hour weeks, its the "i know better then you, so fuck off" attitude that defeats you right off the bat. The negative attitude is really a defeated attitude, it took me a while to figure that out, but i'm glad i did.

One thing you should understand is i'm not saying i know more then you, you appear to have something good going.

I've had conversations with a man who makes nearly 200m/year during the time i was forming an idea for a product with him, and the astouding difference is that he never came accross with the condesending attitude alot of the unsuccessful have.

I'm going out to dinner with a new partner tomorrow who is well on his way to the multimillion range, and he is the same way, very postive thinker.

if you actually did want to chat, send me a PM i'd be glad to tell you exactly what i do.

Am i going to post it on this board, no thanks.

My F off attitude has nothing to do with the hours I work. It comes from the holier than thou attitude you possess and how you portray yourself. Do you think I didn't look at the posted link to one of your ventures? I did and well it was an interesting read, nothing more. You talk a good talk but what it all comes down to is a thing called a resume and past performance. Another thing is your inability to publicly speak about exactly what you do to earn a living. And that was done after you basically told a bunch of people here they were full of shit. If what you do is legit then why the fear? I have no problem doing so and I'll bet most of the people on this board don't either.

Don't bore me with snide comments about people you rub shoulders with and how much money they have, especially in the context that somehow you got them there or were at least responsible for a significant percentage of their wealth.

Piss in my Cheerios kid and I'll shit all over your dinner plate and I'll do it for fun much to your chagrin.

2. CTGuy

CTGuy Made Guy

Piss in my Cheerios kid and I'll shit all over your dinner plate and I'll do it for fun much to your chagrin.

That's a good line.

3. CTGuy

CTGuy Made Guy

I think he's for real, but he's trolling this thread and baiting everyone.

Also, I prefer Baja Fresh, although I suppose at least I'm not at my healthiest right now, but that's not because of them.

I feel like he's about to ask me to sign up for his 4 hour work week newsletter.

I have never had Baja Fresh. Every once and a while I allow myself a burritto from either Qdoba or Chipotle. After one too many Miller High Lifes I went for the Chipotle and the last two days have been hell.

4. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

My F off attitude has nothing to do with the hours I work. It comes from the holier than thou attitude you possess and how you portray yourself. Do you think I didn't look at the posted link to one of your ventures? I did and well it was an interesting read, nothing more. You talk a good talk but what it all comes down to is a thing called a resume and past performance. Another thing is your inability to publicly speak about exactly what you do to earn a living. And that was done after you basically told a bunch of people here they were full of shit. If what you do is legit then why the fear? I have no problem doing so and I'll bet most of the people on this board don't either.

Don't bore me with snide comments about people you rub shoulders with and how much money they have, especially in the context that somehow you got them there or were at least responsible for a significant percentage of their wealth.

Wow i have a hollier then thou attitude, i never knew.

Why not post it, simple, i dont need people from the internet causing me aggrivation beyond this board thats why.

Where did i state i got them wealth.

I would appreciate you read my post without this false context your adding to it, i have no idea where this harsh attitude is coming from.

5. CTGuy

CTGuy Made Guy

i have no idea where this harsh attitude is coming from.

Only the strong survive on Styleforum.

6. SkinnyGoomba

I guess I just wasn't feeling it.

Bottom line is I feel like to start your own business especially you need to spend a lot of time working, but hopefully if you are taking the risk of striking out on your own then it's to do something you truly love and will be happy spending a lot of time working on.

I think there is a lot of hype with the 100+ hour braggers. I think Crane's makes some good points, but honestly I have met a lot of really successful people and they definitely did not slave away for 100+ hours a week. I think there is a portion of the workforce working in I-banking and Biglaw that try to propagate a myth that the only way to become successful is to slave away at something miserable from 9-9 spending no time doing what you love and they are propagating that myth because it's what they are doing.

There are a lot of ways to get rich in this world and they are not just biglaw and i-banking. And maybe those fields make the absolute most dollars, but if the price is being miserable and spending no time socializing, spending time with your wife or kids, then forget it. The reality is that there is a lot of opinions being given on here by people claiming to know how it is in every facet of life- and they simply have no idea what they are talking about. It's very true that if you run your own business you need to bust your ass as hard as you possibly can- give it everything you can and maybe that means late nights on the laptop after the kids are in bed or taking calls from clients on weekends, mostly it means being really really interested in what you are doing for a living.

That being said- the opinions being given are by a narrow group of people- guys working in Biglaw and I-banking are not risk takers-- they are type A, risk averse over achievers. No offense but they are the number crunchers and the problem fixers whose clients start the next Stonyfield Yogurt, Burton Snowboards, etc. An example I think of if a friend of mine working at a firm in Boston who has the "life is good" guys as clients. In their early 20s the life is good guys have made more money marketing their line of sportswear than my lawyer friend probably will in his entire career-- granted the two "life is good" guys busted their asses selling that shit and definitely took a huge risk plowing in time and money to start a business, but the point is the only way to get rich is not being a 100+ hour a week lawyer.

I agree completely, and i think this is a much better phrased way of the point i was attempting to make (and failing to make, lol).

7. Toiletduck

Toiletduck Senior member

I'm doing 70+, it was ok, because I saw meaning in what I was doing.

but 70+ not liking what you're doing is hell

8. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

Only the strong survive on Styleforum.

Yes, it's like Kumite with cufflinks and spectators.

9. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

I guess I just wasn't feeling it.

Bottom line is I feel like to start your own business especially you need to spend a lot of time working, but hopefully if you are taking the risk of striking out on your own then it's to do something you truly love and will be happy spending a lot of time working on.

I think there is a lot of hype with the 100+ hour braggers. I think Crane's makes some good points, but honestly I have met a lot of really successful people and they definitely did not slave away for 100+ hours a week. I think there is a portion of the workforce working in I-banking and Biglaw that try to propagate a myth that the only way to become successful is to slave away at something miserable from 9-9 spending no time doing what you love and they are propagating that myth because it's what they are doing.

There are a lot of ways to get rich in this world and they are not just biglaw and i-banking. And maybe those fields make the absolute most dollars, but if the price is being miserable and spending no time socializing, spending time with your wife or kids, then forget it. The reality is that there is a lot of opinions being given on here by people claiming to know how it is in every facet of life- and they simply have no idea what they are talking about. It's very true that if you run your own business you need to bust your ass as hard as you possibly can- give it everything you can and maybe that means late nights on the laptop after the kids are in bed or taking calls from clients on weekends, mostly it means being really really interested in what you are doing for a living.

That being said- the opinions being given are by a narrow group of people- guys working in Biglaw and I-banking are not risk takers-- they are type A, risk averse over achievers. No offense but they are the number crunchers and the problem fixers whose clients start the next Stonyfield Yogurt, Burton Snowboards, etc. An example I think of if a friend of mine working at a firm in Boston who has the "life is good" guys as clients. In their early 20s the life is good guys have made more money marketing their line of sportswear than my lawyer friend probably will in his entire career-- granted the two "life is good" guys busted their asses selling that shit and definitely took a huge risk plowing in time and money to start a business, but the point is the only way to get rich is not being a 100+ hour a week lawyer.

I agree. If you hate what you do then it is torture to work 40 hours a week. I know people who are very good at playing the market, they don't work at all, their money does. Most of what I have to say about working long hours revolves around the self employed small business owner. We all like what we do (most of the time) so the hours really aren't bad. As someone else pointed out it's not all spent at a desk. You have breakfast or dinner with clients, golfing, fishing or whatever can be a business meeting. As I said before the self employed really are working as long as they are awake. business does not have a schedule and opportunity can come at any time.

10. SkinnyGoomba

i stand corrected apparently everyone on this board except my self works 80 hour weeks.

11. SkinnyGoomba

12. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

Wow i have a hollier then thou attitude, i never knew.

Why not post it, simple, i dont need people from the internet causing me aggrivation beyond this board thats why.

Where did i state i got them wealth.

I would appreciate you read my post without this false context your adding to it, i have no idea where this harsh attitude is coming from.

Oh make no mistake, I can read and very well thank you. More importantly I'm very good at reading through lines of dung handed out by people. Your reason for not divulging what you do because of boardies meddling in it is one of the flimsiest excuses I have ever heard. By the way can you form a cognitive statement at all and relay it using some semblance of proper English?

13. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

So maybe the time i spend networking at social events that i dont consider work is actually "work" and i'm shortchanging myself.

I just dont consider it such if i make aquantainces with a possible sub contractor at a party that wasnt designated as a networking event.

I think we're arguing semantics, i dont consider handing out a card to potential clients in casual conversation to be work, and maybe you do.

Wrong again. The breakfasts, dinners, sporting events etc. are planned business meetings. I'm not talking about chance meetings with someone though that can turn into a business meeting very easily too.

14. HomerJ

HomerJ Senior member

[​IMG] lol @ skinnygoomba Anyway, I know a guy with an Italian restaurant. I think he pretty much lives there, working something like 7am - 11pm Monday - Saturday and maybe 9am - 2pm on Sundays when the restaurant is closed. I plan to work about 4 days/week, ~32 hours/week. I'm not going to squeeze my blood out over work.

15. SkinnyGoomba

I already offered to speak to you in a private message, i'd be more then happy to explain what i do.

You are much more interested in calling me a liar on the internet, then you are actually interested in speaking with me.

Thats fine, you apparently know more then me, i wish you well.