How does one successfully wear red pants?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by MasterplayerC, Apr 21, 2011.

1. MasterplayerC

MasterplayerC Active Member

I recently purchased a pair of red chinos (not quite as faded as nantucket red, but not firetruck red) for cheap and had them tapered to fit my chicken legs.

What the hell does one wear with these? I stupidly decided to wear a yellow shirt...

[​IMG]

Certainly not the smartest thing in the world.

Any suggestions (either on the very casual side, or as formal as red pants can be)?

2. garymyman

garymyman Senior member

White shirt with brown loafers (no socks). Try with a navy blazer - though that works best for Nantucket Reds.

3. acecow

acecow Senior member

I have a pair of skinny red pants. I don't wear them too often, but I definitely wear them a few times a year. I usually pair them with a dark brown casual wingtip and a blue-ish shirt with or without patterns. For example, like this: [​IMG]

4. NewYorkBuck

NewYorkBuck Senior member

I have a pair that I have worn with a white shirt and (of all things) a patch madras jacket. Despite violating the "one loud thing only" rule, everytime Ive worn this it has illicited compliments from the ladies......

5. officeboy

officeboy Senior member

I have a pair of skinny red pants. I don't wear them too often, but I definitely wear them a few times a year. I usually pair them with a dark brown casual wingtip and a blue-ish shirt with or without patterns. For example, like this:
    [​IMG]

Hmm, I have pants just about that color, [​IMG] These dockers I tailored for a slim fit. Plus light blue ocbd, seersucker jacket. I was going to do sock-less with boat shoes, but it was an inside thing, and around here that means no shoes.. so it was some tablot grey socks with some square dots that were a decent match to the pants and shirt.

6. Melcombe

Melcombe Well-Known Member

Regimental twill DB blazer, tattersall check shirt, suede chukka boots and a nonchalant expression.

7. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

I could never pull it off. Even my Nantucket Reds I had to wash a million times until they faded to look right on me.

Otherwise, wear them happily on July 4th with a white shirt and blue blazer and people will enjoy it.

8. JGloger

JGloger Senior member

I have a pair of skinny red pants. I don't wear them too often, but I definitely wear them a few times a year. I usually pair them with a dark brown casual wingtip and a blue-ish shirt with or without patterns. For example, like this:

[​IMG]

Looks great. I really need to get mine slimmed down a bit and give this a shot.

9. luftvier

luftvier Senior member

Just wear them as you would chinos. I've worn them with white oxfords, blue oxfords, madras, etc. They only look better as you wash and wear them.

10. TheWGP

TheWGP Senior member

Just wear them as you would chinos. I've worn them with white oxfords, blue oxfords, madras, etc. They only look better as you wash and wear them.

+1 - especially the "better with wash & wear" comment. You'll get braver, too...

11. hermes man

hermes man Senior member

any suggestion on green? i just recently bought a Y-3 chinos in green ... it was on 40% sale from 333$usd ... to roughly 200$usd .. the discount was too good to refuse but now i am having difficulties matching it...

12. acecow

acecow Senior member

any suggestion on green? i just recently bought a Y-3 chinos in green ... it was on 40% sale from 333$usd ... to roughly 200$usd .. the discount was too good to refuse but now i am having difficulties matching it...

Match them with the $133 you saved.

13. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Pretty much the same as red trousers:

- white shirt, navy jacket, knit tie.

- white shirt, light blue seersucker jacket, bow tie.

- light blue shirt, navy jacket, knit tie.

And so on.

14. academe

academe Senior member

I have a pair of maroon/burgundy cords and have successfully worn them with light blue shirts and tan or brown tweed jackets...

15. Azzurri

Azzurri Well-Known Member

I can't do red and white in country, or else I would look like I'm wearing my national flag -.-

But I think red pants and light blue OCBD looks good.