• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stevejobs
I buy from Nautica because most of their clothes are well made and for the price a decent value. I'd like your opinion on where it ranks in terms of similar global brands. I know Nautica is lower than Ralph Lauren, but is it on par with J. Crew and above a now fading Tommy Hilfiger and outdated Calvin Klein.

Well, you are setting the bar pretty low.

So, I'd say, yes Nautica compares well to J. Crew and Hillfiger.

AAMOF J. Crew seems a little higher priced for similar stuff and Hilfiger is at least as high. So if you can get your Nautica stuff at deep discount, which seems common, it might be OK.

As you stick around SF and learn more I believe you might start to like better appreciated brands than Nautica. With a lot of knowledge and some wise shopping, you should be able to get better stuff than Nautica at the same prices.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nautica is David Chu's old company. They are now owned by one of the big clothing corps with dozens of brands, so the consistency of quality of construction probably varies a lot from year to year, style to style, and lot to lot.

Hilfiger and J.Crew have a preppy look aimed at college kids, 20somethings, and older men who want to look or "feel" young. Nautica looks aimed at their dad, i.e., same thing for older and less trim guys. Also Nautica trends "sporty," which may be an excuse to use a lot of polyester in their jackets and outerwear.

I see the Nautica ties all the time in my midwestern TJ Maxx. They have classic designs but are of noticeably lower construction quality than the Hilfiger ones. They are on par with the Calvin Klein stuff, which looks to me like a cheaper, inferior version of Hilfiger, which is pretty cheap in its own right. Not great stuff, but serviceable if only to be worn once and for pictures.

Nautica reminds me of Lands' End. Not sure how the quality compares but the aesthetic is pretty much the same.

The Ralph Lauren name is deployed at such a wide variety of price points, and in so many styles. It's hard to compare it to something like Nautica. Nautica does not touch RL Blue Label in pants and ties and sportcoats, but the shirts might be about the same quality (All my Polo blue label dress shirts have been crap.) If Nautica still makes sportcoats and blazers and suits, I would guess that it's roughly the same quality as the Calvin Klein ones and the Lauren Ralph Lauren ones and the usual middle-American mall brands (Alfani etc.) That is, low quality. If it fits you well off the rack, and if you take good care of it, it could be a decent value for men who put their suits to light use.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It really depends. When I think of Nautica I think of Azn Thugzzz, who have the word "Nautica" written at least 10 times per outfit. Some of their stuff is nice. I often buy their trad looking ties from discount stores.

Nautica is great for dad's if the stuff fits properly. It has runway shows and some of the stuff I really like.

Their brandiing, along with Hilfiger (I love their recent runway stuff) is really out of control. They will pretty much put their name on anything so shoot for the higher end stuff.

The stuff you see at Tj Maxx and all that I'd put below J Crew and maybe even slightly below GAP.

needshoehelp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fine for t-shirts, shorts, swim, etc., but I'd stay away from their tailored clothing. I would put it below J.Crew in terms of styling, if nothing else.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Nautica is ****. If you don't think so now, it will reveal its ****** nature to you at the point where it will most inconvenience/annoy/harm you. Every piece of nautica clothing I've owned has done so to me.

mmhollis

Reaction score
Yea it's definitely lower quality than Ralph but I would say J. Crew has really gotten its act together there stuff is great and when pitted against each other I'd say J. Crew is the no brainer. Better quality and better styles. That's just my humble opinion.

warrenm

Reaction score
Clothes are mediocre at best. Thin material. DO NOT buy online. They shipped wrong item and it took months and many phone calls to get credited. They claim the warehouse had to "verify" return. Not my problem.

agp

Reaction score
If one were to only want to spend Nautica money, but not get the brand - what would yall recommend?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads