• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How does my shoe fit?

MoxJr

Reaction score
Ordered my first AE shoe (fifth ave) from the sale going on right now... but I don't think it fits very well.

5073076319_82c5d0f53b_z.jpg

It is a 9.5D, and it feels like I have plenty of room in the heel area.
Should I have gotten a 9E instead? =(

hobscrk777

Reaction score
Your foot shape may not agree with the last of that shoe. The 5th Avenue is on the same last as the Park Avenue, which has a low instep and is slightly elongated. The leather is flaring out at the sides because probably a tad too wide in the heels - going to the 9E will only make that worse. You appear to have narrow heels and a high instep. You could spend a lot of time trying to find the right fit for the 5th Avnue...but you could also try finding a punch cap from a different maker. It's an extremely common style.

MoxJr

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hobscrk777
Your foot shape may not agree with the last of that shoe. The 5th Avenue is on the same last as the Park Avenue, which has a low instep and is slightly elongated. The leather is flaring out at the sides because probably a tad too wide in the heels - going to the 9E will only make that worse. You appear to have narrow heels and a high instep. You could spend a lot of time trying to find the right fit for the 5th Avnue...but you could also try finding a punch cap from a different maker. It's an extremely common style.

I tried on the AE Clifton at a local Nordstrom (they didn't have the fifth/park aves) and the 9.5D fit perfectly. I did not read about "lasts" until after purchasing these shoes. Unfortunately, no place near me carries the 5th or Park aves. Should I just return them then?

Marcellionheart

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MoxJr
I tried on the AE Clifton at a local Nordstrom (they didn't have the fifth/park aves) and the 9.5D fit perfectly. I did not read about "lasts" until after purchasing these shoes. Unfortunately, no place near me carries the 5th or Park aves. Should I just return them then?

If you don't like the fit of them, return them.

MoxJr

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Marcellionheart
If you don't like the fit of them, return them.
thx for your reply, but i really like these shoes, so i'm hoping there is another size i can try or if the 5th ave is just something not right for me also, is it normal for the upper part of the laces to be like that? is it because the shoe is too narrow which is why it cannot tighten completely at the top?

osc

Reaction score
thx for your reply, but i really like these shoes, so i'm hoping there is another size i can try or if the 5th ave is just something not right for me

trying a 9.5E or wider shoe may help the fit...as the above poster stated, the last for that shoe (Last 5) is one of the narrower lasts for AE. Check here for more last info: http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline...Id=40000000001

You may also want to check out Last 0 shoes from AE as they are wider than Last 0. A similar style to your shoe would be "Evanston" or "Soho" which looks to be discontinued from the AE website although you may have better luck on Amazon or eBay for these shoes.
For example: http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-325-ALLEN-ED...item3cb1434821

also, is it normal for the upper part of the laces to be like that? is it because the shoe is too narrow which is why it cannot tighten completely at the top?

For the laces, most would say that the vamp should be fully closed when laced and is caused by either a high instep or too narrow shoe. Like you, if the style of the shoe really speaks to me, I am willing to overlook a detail like this...

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My PAs fit the same (sans sides flaring out). They are just really narrow.

beachape

Reaction score
I've got the same shoes. My feet are pretty narrow and I've got a 10b. By vamp fully closed...do you mean that the leather should be able to touch on either side? Mine are much better than the picture, but I'd say I can only get them to about a half centimeter apart which stretches to about 1cm after walking.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I've got the same fit. All my shoes flair out a bit as I step, and most of them don't fully tighten.

Forget for a second what tehy look like... Are they comfortable?
If they're comfortable now they'll only get better.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That shoe does not fit you. Return, try another last.

Redwoood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From what I've learned, a 9E is about as wide as a 9.5D, but shorter. The heel might be a tad looser actually, so I don't see how going to a 9E would help you.

OP, how is the fit around the ball of the foot?

Does anybody have suggestions for lasts that would accommodate a high instep and a narrow heel?

Tobacco Man

Reaction score
I wear an E in Allen Edmonds shoes because D's fit too tight. Nothing as extreme as this though, but could be worth it to try a wider fit...

MoxJr

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Redwoood
From what I've learned, a 9E is about as wide as a 9.5D, but shorter. The heel might be a tad looser actually, so I don't see how going to a 9E would help you.

OP, how is the fit around the ball of the foot?

Does anybody have suggestions for lasts that would accommodate a high instep and a narrow heel?

It feels fine in the toe area, but at the same time a little long but not uncomfortably long. It also feels too wide in the heel as many have mentioned.

You are right... I need something w/high instep & a narrow heel. Which AE last accommodates this?

reachforit108

Reaction score
if they are uncomfortable, then try a wider version in the same size. if the wider version does not feel good, then return them. the deal you got with the current sale on AE's site is ok, but not great. there are better deals to be had regularly. if they don't fit well, then just return them and find something else that fits better.

i would not go with a 9E as this will be almost identical in width to a 9.5d.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads