• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How does EG rank?

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know EG is regarded as one of the finest UK shoe maker, but really, how would you rank EG/PRPL dress shoes among other fine shoes?

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
I would place it near the top of RTW. Below bespoke (Amesbury, G&G, Cleverly) and some high end RTW like Kiton, Lattanzi but above most else. I have two pairs and they have held up well over the years. Quality leather, construction, classic styles...a terrific shoe. I think I'm going to buy some more during the next sale.

jmatt

Reaction score
I own one pair of EG. I believe - through forum hearsay, that it's the best shoe at its sale-priced price-point (about $550 U.S.). I'm sure there are many shoes better, but not until you make the next huge jump upward to shoes like Kiton or bespoke shoes.

Everyone is different though. I hope to start buying a pair of EG at each semi-annual sale, until my shoe wardrobe is made up primarily of EG. Not counting Ebay, for $550 I don't believe there's a better shoe.

Disclaimers:

1) I use ebay, but not for shoes. 10EEE, UK 10F is just too rare to find
2) I haven't seen a Lobb for $550......yet.
3) Vass is now way beyond $550 from anyone.
4) ymmv, tax and title not included, yadda, yadda

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
I haven't seen a Lobb for $550......yet.
Sometime Elite Forum will get close...saw one the other day at $565 but again the issue is often sizing-translating what is really what and of course availability.

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How can you tell if Kiton shoes are better made than EG shoes without disecting the shoes?

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MilanoStyle
How can you tell if Kiton shoes are better made than EG shoes without disecting the shoes?

On this forum, any article of clothing/shoe associated with "Kiton" is assumed to be of top top quality.
inlove.gif
Fact? I'm not sure.

jmatt

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MilanoStyle
To quote myself: "forum hearsay" They also look visually stunning.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
On this forum, any article of clothing/shoe associated with "Kiton" is assumed to be of top top quality.
That's because they have a good collection of handmade items that are very well thought of. In my experience, something with a Kiton label is among the best available in almost every category without going fully bespoke.

As for shoes, there is more handwork in a Kiton shoe than even a great maker like EG. It's a difference of scale and costs (and consequently pricing) however and style considerations play into the equation.

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is a multifaceted issue. Whereas EG can be compared with JLobb Paris, C&J, and other machine-made RTW shoes, any comparison breaks down somewhat when EG is compared with Vass, Saint Crispin's, and Lattanzi, for example, since the latter makers produce a true hand-made product. The same problem exists in comparing EG with Kiton and some lines of Santoni and Sutor Mantellassi with which some handwork is present.

Certainly what can be said is the EG ranks high in the realm of machine-made RTW shoes. In comparison with JLobb Paris, Prestige Line, you'll find as many ranking EG better as vice versa, but the comparison is based on different variables--leather finish and antiquing favoring EG, certain cosmetic features like a beveled waist, for example, favoring JLobb. But is EG superior to the top line of a. Testoni, for example? In the end, style and esthetics have to be taken into account, along with the rater's personal tastes. It's just about impossible, in the final analysis, to produce a definitive ranking involving any commodity that relies on subjective judgments about its quality.

Will

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Kiton vs. EG is the shoe equivalent of the difference between Naples and Saville Row.At that level of construction the differences are more about aethetics.

If you like the aggressive finishes and detailing of Kiton, EG will not please you. Lobb (London) bespoke probably won't either.

On the other hand, if you prefer the understated look of an English shoe, you wouldn't wear many of Kiton's models.

Within the English school, it's difficult for me to find much difference between my bespoke Cleverley oxfords and my EG oxfords on the 82 last. EG's brown antiqueing is actually better than the Cleverleys.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Once I wore a shoe with a bevelled waist, I found it hard to go back. The bevelled waist is just so cool, makes the shoe look much sleeker, etc. As a result, I find EG difficult to compare to JL's prestige line. The leather nice, the burnishing nice, the styling excellent and classic, and the price is better. However, they lack that detail that I have really come to appreciate. When EG releases their new, high-end line, it will be a different story. But right now, I don't buy them very much.

Looking to improve

Reaction score
Originally Posted by zjpj83
When EG releases their new, high-end line, it will be a different story.
Will that be the (reintroduced) Top Drawer line?

MtB

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Looking to improve
Will that be the (reintroduced) Top Drawer line?

MtB

supposedly. I'm not as tight with the factory as some others here.
bananaxs2.gif

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
It's just about impossible, in the final analysis, to produce a definitive ranking involving any commodity that relies on subjective judgments about its quality.
This is in fact what I typed in on a similar discussion with Kiton in AAAC.

Roger, does Kiton have less handwork than Lattanzi in your experience?

Looking to improve

Reaction score
Originally Posted by zjpj83
supposedly. I'm not as tight with the factory as some others here.
smile.gif

I'm asking because I've received an invitation to a trunk show in which the new Top Drawer program is described. That description sounded much like EG's existing m-t-o program to me. But it may have been the store oversimplifying - they, not EG have sent the invitation - so it's entirely possible that the shoes may be better made than 'regular' EG's.

MtB

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads