• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How does clothing affect one's "perceived" age?

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
According to the Family and Consumer Science Research Journal, tests clearly show that people's judgement of clothing is affected by the age and body type of the wearer. This is of little suprise. However, this got me wondering if the opposite holds true. Are sartorially inclined gentlemen judged by others to be less aged and more fit than those who lack a stylish wardrobe? Something else to consider is whether or not smart atire can make teenagers and young adults look beyond their years. My personal opinion is that yes, stylish clothing positively influences a gentlemen's percieved age and fitness level. I also believe that teenagers and young adults can appear older by dressing properly. This thought process ultimately lead me to this question: at what point (or age) does a man stop looking older as a result of his clothes, and begins to look younger? Does anyone have a dissenting opinion? Care to shed some light on my last question?

spectre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stazy
According to the Family and Consumer Science Research Journal, tests clearly show that people's judgement of clothing is affected by the age and body type of the wearer. This is of little suprise. However, this got me wondering if the opposite holds true. Are sartorially inclined gentlemen judged by others to be less aged and more fit than those who lack a stylish wardrobe? Something else to consider is whether or not smart atire can make teenagers and young adults look beyond their years.

My personal opinion is that yes, stylish clothing positively influences a gentlemen's percieved age and fitness level. I also believe that teenagers and young adults can appear older by dressing properly.

This thought process ultimately lead me to this question: at what point (or age) does a man stop looking older as a result of his clothes, and begins to look younger?

Does anyone have a dissenting opinion? Care to shed some light on my last question?

I agree but I think it's the overall perception which is the key. For example a 60-year-old man groomed and dressed immaculately can impress both men and women to the point where his age is not noticed really. But other issues such as temperament, intelligence and a sense of humour are vital. No matter how well-dressed you are no-one will warm to a person who has none of those qualities. I am convinced that women appreciate a man who has some pride in his appearance, but takes care not to be conscious of it, even if he is older than her. With care you can extend your use-by date and clothes help a lot.

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I often see men in their 40s or older dressing like teenagers. Sometimes, that does not really make them look younger, rather, it makes them look childish, IMO.
I have never really understood the advantage of looking young. I do understand the advantage of looking fit and healthy, but that is quite a different thing, IMO.
(Of course, if you are 40 and still like to go out with teenage girls, maybe you have no choice but trying to look younger than you are. The last time I went out with a girl substantially younger than I was more than ten years ago; she wanted to take me to some kind of techno/rave parties... that was not really my thing...)

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know some young 20 something girls that like the smart look of a 40 something man... Off course you have to be fit and well kept, not like other guys I see...

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sometimes a lot of money and/or power appears to compensate for a certain lack of fitness, at least sometimes it seems like that...

Isaac Mickle

Reaction score
They had a saying in the nineteenth century: "A old young man will be a young old man."

That was back in the days when ambitious teenagers and twenty-somethings emulated the styles of their gray-haired elders (and not the other way around).

I don't think that answers your question.

Clothes probably reflect status more than age, and depending on the context, onlookers can be impressed or offended by the appropriateness of the attire. As your status changes, and it will as you age, what's appropriate in certain contexts changes.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Attire, in and of itself, seldom makes someone look significantly younger. The face, hairstyle, and other areas are relied on more for assessment of age. (Therefore, trying too hard to dress young can have the opposite effect.) Style notwithstanding, color probably is the element of clothing that most affects perceived age. Indeed, if perceived age does not easily meet the ideal, a better strategy might be to modify the image to lessen the focus on age.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mensimageconsultant
Indeed, if perceived age does not easily meet the ideal, a better strategy might be to modify the image to lessen the focus on age.

Not sure what you mean here. Would an example of your meaning be "dress more richly to shift focus to wealth"? i.e. wear a Rolex, etc.

rgpuppy

Reaction score
Very interesting observations....

I had not thought about this in many years.

I grew up in a family that owned a couple of clothing stores, so i "dressed up" as a child and worked in teh stores each afternoon and weekend.

When i went to college i began managing a store and soon took over buying several departments for a total of 5 stores. So each day i was in class wearing a suit or at least suit pants and tie with the coat in the car.

Beginning about 19 or 20 people assumed my age to be late 20's or 30 years old. Then slowly as i reached my late 20's and early 30s people thought i was younger.

My dress stayed the same...always dressed in a classical style never chasing the "fads".

so i would say that the swing point is some where in th eearly 30s.

Now that i am into my 40's i find people think i look younger when i am dressed in a coat and tie than when in khakis and a knit shirt.

A funny aside the other day at the golf course it was windy and cool so i had on a long sleeve mock turtle neck under a vest and someone said i must be turning 50 dressed like that.

sorry to ramble...good evening all

Newton

Reaction score
That's quite interesting rgpuppy.

I'm in my 20s and people routinely overestimate my age because I don't dress faddishly. For example, I generally tuck in my shirts, which noone else really does.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm affectionately referred to as "Mr. Rogers" by my comrades. I guess I do dress "older" than 99% of people in my age bracket (late teen's), but I don't feel that it makes me look as if I am thirty.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
People generally overestimate my age.

Actually that's not quite true - they just struggle to accurately figure out my age. Thinking back, I generally get a range of choices from mid-20s to late 30s or once, even early 40s.

I think that large range is probably a good sign: that I dress timelessly but with enough freshness that people can't carbon-date me from my clothes!
smile.gif

(I'm actually in my very late 20s....)

phooi

Reaction score
I have the reverse problem. People tend to think I'm in my mid-to-late 20's even though I'm a decade older. Part of it I'm sure is that I have a very youthful face and that I'm a relatively short guy. Regardless of how I dress, I always have the same problem. I find the difference is how I'm approached when I'm out on the town. I tend you to be treated with more respect when I'm dressed well as opposed to when I'm more casual.

Nashville

Reaction score
Originally Posted by epa
I often see men in their 40s or older dressing like teenagers. Sometimes, that does not really make them look younger, rather, it makes them look childish, IMO.
I have never really understood the advantage of looking young. I do understand the advantage of looking fit and healthy, but that is quite a different thing, IMO.
(Of course, if you are 40 and still like to go out with teenage girls, maybe you have no choice but trying to look younger than you are. The last time I went out with a girl substantially younger than I was more than ten years ago; she wanted to take me to some kind of techno/rave parties... that was not really my thing...)

I cant stand it either, its so repulsive and tacky, especially if the clothing is cheap and flea maket buys!!
laugh.gif

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thinman
Not sure what you mean here. Would an example of your meaning be "dress more richly to shift focus to wealth"? i.e. wear a Rolex, etc.

Shift the visual focus to something that the wearer would like to be perceived as having (assuming such an impression is attainable). It could be wealth, yes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads