• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How does a new menswear designer break out?

stevejobs

Reaction score
I've thought about this for some time, but it seems very difficult for an up-and-coming menswear designer to break through today. Since current menswear style is stuck in a continual retro-classic loop of the early 1950s to early 1970s, I cannot fathom how a fresh designer can make his mark against entrenched brands. Menswear doesn't have a comparable trade publication like WWD and the men's magazines have little interest promoting new brands unless accompanied by large ad buys.

New brands that do appear are usually offshoots from designers who made their career in women's apparel like Tom Ford or they are extensions of lifestyle brands like Sean John. It is rare to find a new brand whose success derived primarily and originally came from its menswear collection. Most of these extension products are usually outsourced to OEMs and made by Chinese labor, not old-world artisans.

Even if one does create a primarily menswear startup, how could you offer products that are in any way creatively different or interesting from what is currently out there if for commercial reasons you conform to the same designs as everyone else. It hardly matters how prestigious the fashion school you graduated from or what firm you came from if you cannot produce any fresh thinking or bring new ideas into a tired marketplace. Just stick to knitting sweaters because they are always in demand.

stevejobs

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
My only advice: emulate the timeless Eric Glennie.

Too conformist...
bounce2.gif

Also tailors, bespoke or otherwise, are NOT fashion designers. They are fashion adherents whose professional responsibility is limited to measuring and sewing, not brainstorming new ideas.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stevejobs
Too conformist...
bounce2.gif

LOL wow, post some pictures of your stuff! haha

But seriously, if it really is too conformist, all I can say is 'good luck!
fing02[1].gif
' lol

Janshi

Reaction score
I guess it has more to do with subverting or subtly tweaking an existing look, giving it a fresh air while keeping a classic feeling. Funny thing about society is that conformity *is* the reality, and while we will reward out of the box thinking radical changes are by and large no-no's. Or, the radical *becomes* the conformity, and then the cycle starts over. I think that for a new designer to break out he will probably have to follow the trend yet integrate something both completely new and yet absolutely timeless. It has to feel like it could have happened at any time in our history and fitted in, but it only happened now.

D'you know what I mean?

stevejobs

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Janshi
I guess it has more to do with subverting or subtly tweaking an existing look, giving it a fresh air while keeping a classic feeling. Funny thing about society is that conformity *is* the reality, and while we will reward out of the box thinking radical changes are by and large no-no's. Or, the radical *becomes* the conformity, and then the cycle starts over. I think that for a new designer to break out he will probably have to follow the trend yet integrate something both completely new and yet absolutely timeless. It has to feel like it could have happened at any time in our history and fitted in, but it only happened now.

D'you know what I mean?

There is nothing magical or special about the postwar period up to Watergate that forces today's designers to continually go back to that period for "inspiration." Postwar menswear designers did not base their designs on capturing the look of the early 1900s up until WWI. Instead they crafted their own designs, breaking new ground in designing clothing that made JFK, JFK, the Rat Pack, the Rat Pack, Cary Grant, Cary Grant, etc. You didn't see Henry Fonda wearing clothes that was indistinguishable from what a turn of the century businessman wore. Instead, the men who clothed the Postwar man had fresh looks, not retro-looks.

Now, it could be that modern designers on the men's side are dullards, without an original thought in their heads. If so, then I think fashion schools need to replace their current teachers because they aren't doing a good job of promoting original thinking to their students.

caelte

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
There is nothing magical or special about the postwar period up to Watergate that forces today's designers to continually go back to that period for "inspiration." Postwar menswear designers did not base their designs on capturing the look of the early 1900s up until WWI. Instead they crafted their own designs, breaking new ground in designing clothing that made JFK, JFK, the Rat Pack, the Rat Pack, Cary Grant, Cary Grant, etc. You didn't see Henry Fonda wearing clothes that was indistinguishable from what a turn of the century businessman wore. Instead, the men who clothed the Postwar man had fresh looks, not retro-looks. Now, it could be that modern designers on the men's side are dullards, without an original thought in their heads. If so, then I think fashion schools need to replace their current teachers because they aren't doing a good job of promoting original thinking to their students.
Eric, is that you?

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Menswear doesn't have a comparable trade publication like WWD and the men's magazines have little interest promoting new brands unless accompanied by large ad buys.

DNR

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads