• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How does a guy with OCD take care of his valuble clothing?

Thermionic

Reaction score
I should start by saying I have done a good amount of research here and elsewhere on the various topics of cleaning methods, but if anything all the different methods have led to my confusion so I thought I should just see what others are doing. I don't have a huge amount of clothing, but the few things I have are rare, cost me large sums and are very precious to me. Since my collection is limited I tend to cycle through my clothes very often and this means cleaning is required often. I am absolutely willing to do the expensive/ tedious methods, I just want whatever is the best for my clothing. Any information would be very helpful to me so ill just list my main areas of concern.

-Wool Pants (cleaned very rarely and worn every day so I am a bit torn on how to safe guard them from the beetles I hear want to eat them)

-Cotton Dress Shirts (these get cleaned the most often and I want these to maintain the shape & color of the day I purchased them)

-Dress Shoes (Brown & Black, I don't mind cleaning them daily, mostly curious what the best products are)

Again, I realize these are all very covered topics, im just looking for that "Best" way. Much of the info I read is about the easiest.

CHEERS!
-M

rob

Reaction score
I think the best way is to have Rave Cleaners in Phoenix do it; however, I think it best to drive it their in person. The pain of the trip to Phoenix should be counter-balanced by the knowledge you and only you are keeping track of the clothing during transit.

Rob

Thermionic

Reaction score
I think the best way is to have Rave Cleaners in Phoenix do it; however, I think it best to drive it their in person. The pain of the trip to Phoenix should be counter-balanced by the knowledge you and only you are keeping track of the clothing during transit.
Rob

Thanks Rob, I'll be keeping them in mind for my less frequently cleaned clothes. I wonder if there is something a step down from this local to me in San Francisco I could use for my dress shirts. For cotton shirts is there any reason I should not just machine wash them in cold water? I am thinking maybe the color gradually fades.

myk7000

Reaction score
For shoes, I use products by Allen Edmonds and they usually do the trick quite well.

Also, with shirts, yes I just wash them with cold water and then hang dry them, and I haven't had any problems with color changes as long as lighter shirts are washed with lighter colors and darker ones with dark shirts.

Thermionic

Reaction score
For shoes, I use products by Allen Edmonds and they usually do the trick quite well.
Also, with shirts, yes I just wash them with cold water and then hang dry them, and I haven't had any problems with color changes as long as lighter shirts are washed with lighter colors and darker ones with dark shirts.

Thanks for reassuring me that fear of the washing machine is unwarranted, however the dryer may still be my enemy. On a random note, for whatever reason I was curious about the link in your signature I noticed some Logan's & HD800's in the background of one of the first photos. Do you have a woo amplifier to go along with the snazzy woo stand? If so, How do they pair up?

myk7000

Reaction score
Hah, didn't see this till now. Fellow audiophile on Style Forum in San Fran huh? Legit man.

Yes sir, MartinLogans and a pair of HD800s. I used to have the WA6SE, but traded in favor of a solid state Headamp GS-1. Love it and haven't looked back. I will say I used to own a pair of O2s though, and they were probably my uber favorite.

Thermionic

Reaction score
What does having a mental condition have to do with clothing care?

Everything.

Hah, didn't see this till now. Fellow audiophile on Style Forum in San Fran huh? Legit man.
Yes sir, MartinLogans and a pair of HD800s. I used to have the WA6SE, but traded in favor of a solid state Headamp GS-1. Love it and haven't looked back. I will say I used to own a pair of O2s though, and they were probably my uber favorite.

Interesting, right now I am torn between the WA22, Liquid fire and HeadAmp GS-X. First world problems right? Interesting to hear that the woo could be so easily defeated either way. Forgive my ignorance, but what 02's do you refer to?

If anyone has some suggestions for "best" wool protection methods please share your thoughts.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads