1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

How do your friends dress

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Lel, Aug 24, 2009.

1. Big Pun

Big Pun Senior member

- Most of friends only care for clothing/brands as much as the pussy they can get out of it, even the married ones, they only buy expensive shit if it looks expensive or has some big ass fancy logo (gucci, prada, LV, ferragamo and the likes) has to be a well known brand otherwise the pussy magnet effect is nulled in their opinion lol, they dont really care about fit or details as much as flash, kinda douchy imo....

- I mostly get compliments from my friends on 3 things, jackets/coats, shoes/boots and watches/some accs, otherwise they know I spend quite a bit on clothes but dont really care since they do too, and they also know I'm always shopping for the best price so they usually ask me for sales info and wear to buy x douchy item and whatnot, sometimes they actually ask for my opinion on how something they have looks/fits, but regardless of what I say they still wear the shit and reply with some crap like "yeah whatever man, chicks love it, so fuck it if it doesnt fit right"

^^Thank god I don't have friends like that.

2. robbie

robbie Senior member

the friends i have made here in omaha don't dress poorly perse, but there are plenty of square toed steve madden dress shoes and the like.

i don't spend much at all, and in the past six months have spent maybe 75 bucks at various thrift stores. i'd spend more if i had more.

3. Doin' Fine.

Doin' Fine. Senior member

Most of my buddies dress like your average high school student, seeing as they're all your average high school students. Some of my friends are committed hypebeasts, while some are just brandwhores. Most of my friends think I'm fresh as hell, despite the fact that I'm pretty much average on teh SF standard. I've actually influenced some of them to dress a bit better, which means they now blow all their money at H&M rather than Hollister. Bu then most of the people I'm good with beyond my usual circle don't really care.

4. Seanallen

Seanallen Senior member

Out of my 3 closest friends;

one wears mall brands like Abercrombie, but he always wears button shirts, I can tell he cares that he looks good but he is not huge on it. We live in a small town that only has mall brands, I bet if we had better stores he would be shopping at them.

The other I'm in a band with, he looks like a typical band member. Basic shirt, basic hoodie, relaxed fit jeans, and a pair of purcells. He does not care about style but he his simple style actually looks good on him.

Now my third friend, is the only one I can talk about style with, When I first met him, he dress badly and was sort of nerdy. He makes good money for a teenager though so when I got him interested in style it took him a week to get good pair of jeans, some goodfitting Tshirts, and a pair of nike dunks.
    He started off somewhat hypebeastish but he wasn't serious in it, since he started college, its been more SF approved.

5. JaPo

JaPo Senior member

Of the two friends I have with any interest in discussing clothes; one dresses better than me and the other dresses worse simply because he doesn't want to put any effort in. The former dresses pretty similarly to me, really. Button-down, slim jeans, brown shoes.

Both wear SF-approved brands such as Uniqlo and H+M. I'm quite fortunate that I have people in my circle with whom I share this common interest, although I'm unquestionably the most active purveyor.

6. cmsmith

cmsmith Senior member

one of my close buddies is into clothes to a degree, more MC then SW & D, he likes dressing up and spends $ on dress shirts/sport coats a little bit.

My best friend and roommate could not care less, outside from the comment when we moved that I "have a lot of shoes", he knows I'm into clothing but doesn't make much mention of it

My two other good friends both are mall brand whores with some skate/surf stuff. Quicksilver, DC, etc. They don't dress badly in an awful way (crazy patterned hoodies or square toe steve maddens) just in usual laid back college guy. Their stuff fits fine it just looks meh.

All the girls I know love it, and most of them are into clothes, although they are moderate brand whores.

My girlfriend likes it, but laments that buying gifts for me is difficult because I'm so picky.

7. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Senior member

and how do they react to your uhm... buying habits?

the people i know (coworkers, acquaintances, brothers/family members) all dress run-of-the-mill ( i dress most of the time run-of-the-mill as well so dont get me wrong). and perhaps im sure spend twice as much for items that are half the quality of what we buy.

but i dont think they really care and are the type who dont want to spend too much effort and time into looking for the deals i get.

they are interested and impressed to know that i can get a mabitex dress pant for 60 bux, but still they dont mind spending 80 bux for a pair of alfani pants or perry ellis if they need it.

however, my brother-in-law as become a bit more fashion aware and very interested in the deals i can get for him.

8. ctrlaltelite

ctrlaltelite Senior member

most of my friends have ties to the industry, familial, relationship, or professionally, so for the most part they stay current but a few of them have managed to make their own look and one was recently featured in ny mag's video look book. it's pretty funny because he currently plays in a metal band but loves men's formal wear and has an affinity for waistcoats, but he doesn't put it together in a steampunk way.

my roommate has a very laid back sort of style, kind of like the one ACL aspires to -- very all-american and classically stylish without being ostentatious. lots of j crew and thrift finds mixed in with some designer brands. it's very reminiscent of this local band my other friends are in, it's a very updated "good old boy" sort of look, sometimes cowboy boots, half-undone button-ups and some v-necks, a lot of facial hair. their band has been called "the next great american band" so i guess their hodgepodge of traditional americana and indie-rocker aesthetic kind of meshes with that. it's different from the mainstream but not so much that it's unrecognizable.

9. ppllzz

ppllzz Senior member

like everyone elses friends on this forum, mine also dress like crap. i am the best dressed person i know of in real life.

-_-

(trying to be sarcastic but its not working)

10. Viktri

Viktri Senior member

That's probably why I envy the HK SF meets up because they have them so often, it must be like shopping but in a man's way, after drinks and cigars, not the frilly twittering manner that girls like to shop in.
    heh, I laughed [​IMG] getting laid > shopping AFTER drinks and cigars imo Many times I've shopped before drinks but I don't think I'd do it with internet dudes + no chicks. Seems kind of strange to me. Everyone here must be a hard-core mofo. My friends don't feel the way I dress is out of their league and if they see something like they that I'm wearing that would look good on them, they get something similar or ask me where I got it and purchase it. Has happened to most of my stuff: trenches, overcoats, jackets, footwear, wallets, bags, etc. The good thing about buying normal looking stuff like Oni's and Somets is that when they shrink and I can't fit into them anymore I can give them to one of my buddies because he likes them and we're similar heights but he's 40 pounds lighter. Good thing about jackets is sometimes girls like to wear only my trench.

11. tagutcow

tagutcow Senior member

I should also mention that my sister is the WORST DESSED HUMAN BEING ON THE FACE OF THE EARTH. Usually her wardrobe consists of some men's size L t-shirt she got for free (she should be wearing a womens size S), and a pair of overly baggy pants that swamp her canvas sneakers. She wears most of her clothes well past the point they have holes/bleach stains/etc.

She ushers at church wearing this shit, to the embarassment of my parents. Even they're unable to persuade her to dress better.

Right now her "good clothes" consist of a pair of optic white chucks and a handful of those solid color t-shirts you buy at crafts stores.

12. dusty

dusty Senior member

like everyone elses friends on this forum, mine also dress like crap. i am the best dressed person i know of in real life. -_-
    Same here, though my sister usually dresses pretty well.

13. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

I would say half dress appropriately. Not terrible, not bad, not stylishly, just fine.
    The other half are split evenly between dressing very well and terribly.

It's nice to have a few friends to talk ties, shoes, suits, sneakers with. But really, I don't care to do that very often.

14. CharlieAngel

CharlieAngel Senior member

1) Some computer geeks in the group, so think baggy t-shirts, cheap, ill-fitting, horribly "colored" jeans, cheapest sneakers at wherever they find them. Pasty white kids in schwag t-shirts. Other friends are more punk rock: combat boots/chucks, levi's (501-514s), wife beaters/t-shirts (actually, kinda fitted.. they wear it well), dickies Eisenhower jackets. Some goth/industrial kids in their platform boots and all-black attire. Some hardcore kids: camo shorts, new balance shoes & black metal band t-shirts (1-2 sizes too big, usually). And a beardo or two (think hardcore kids with beards and shaved heads).

2) They don't care. We all do our own thing. I get compliments on my docs these days, and my denim (gap rigid 1969s.. the RRLs got exactly one compliment... These I've gotten 5 in the past week).

15. Teger

Teger Senior member

- my fashion/sf friends (that I've met IRL or met through farinelli's) dress well and spend more than me

- my non fashion friends either have a casual interest in clothing (one dude things APC are the best jeans out there), or dress like typical college slobs. they don't really recognize anything I wear for what it is and I don't really tell them.

16. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Senior member

I should also mention that my sister is the WORST DESSED HUMAN BEING ON THE FACE OF THE EARTH. Usually her wardrobe consists of some men's size L t-shirt she got for free (she should be wearing a womens size S), and a pair of overly baggy pants that swamp her canvas sneakers. She wears most of her clothes well past the point they have holes/bleach stains/etc.

She ushers at church wearing this shit, to the embarassment of my parents. Even they're unable to persuade her to dress better.

Right now her "good clothes" consist of a pair of optic white chucks and a handful of those solid color t-shirts you buy at crafts stores.

send her to one of those Style network makeovers on cable tv

17. Big Pun

Big Pun Senior member

Honestly I'm glad all my friends dress shitty so I look better by comparison. Only half kidding.

18. tagutcow

tagutcow Senior member

send her to one of those Style network makeovers on cable tv
    I've considered doing that. Maybe we'll go on that show with that annoying Asian woman who'll tell her to "pop a color" and "make it your own" (while, of course, summarily shooting down every suggestion this week's poor sap makes.)

19. Gutman

Gutman Senior member

Sometimes I get a comment on a jacket or whatever. Others remark on the number of shoes I seem to have... I think clothes get noticed more than they get commented on though.

Some of my suits often get a second-glance out on the street, but I couldn't speculate on whether that is in a good way...

20. Gutman

Gutman Senior member

Should have added that this morning my partner said my suit was the same colours as the mossy bits on the wet footpath. I said I preferred to think of it as autumn-toned rather than slimey...