• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do you wear an ID badge with a suit?

III

Reaction score
Requirement to wear an ID badge is ubiquitous in my field (healthcare). For you other badge slaves out there, how do you wear it day after day without ruining your coat? On your lapel? Pocket? Around your neck on a lanyard? Belt loop? Any slick tailor tips (like maybe a loop behind the lapel specifically for badge-hanging)?

AintDatRite

Reaction score
I wear mine on a lanyard around the neck... fortunately, it has a 'quick disconnect' in case one of my employee's decides to grab it in an attempt to strangle me with it.

dirk diggler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Defense Industry - I have a badge clip with a string on a retractor (with company logo) - wear it on my shirt clipped between the top 2 buttons. I can't stand the lanyard since it buckles under a sportcoat.

indy116

Reaction score
Mine is on a retractor clipped to my waistband, under my belt. Don't normally wear a coat, so no problem with visibility.

ACACRefugee

Reaction score
I use a magnetic badge holder, similar to this:

http://holders.idcardgroup.com/produ...1080&ad=2.6.36

Secure, no holes, no clip marks.

On another note, I think employee badges are a sartorial scourge. To protest, I noticed that we honor foreign affiliate badges, so I had mine replaced while in Beijing. It's in mandarin and illegible to even myself, but meets the rules.

Regards

LesterSnodgrass

Reaction score
I refuse to wear my ID, despite the "rules." I keep it in my front trouser pocket -- usually in the interior pouch thingy if my trouser pocket has one. Fight the Power.

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LesterSnodgrass
I refuse to wear my ID, despite the "rules." I keep it in my front trouser pocket -- usually in the interior pouch thingy if my trouser pocket has one. Fight the Power.

+ a billion

all badges are in front pocket.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear a mandatory badge on a mandatory colour coded lanyard. A bright blue lanyard unfortunately, which really doesn't work with most of my outfits. Personally I think I should have been consulted when they chose the colour schemes.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I keep mine in my trouser pocket. If I didn't need it to get through doors, I wouldn't bring it to work at all.

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lanyard +1. It spends it's time under my jacket and that's fine with me.

What annoys me is that it bounces from front to back when I walk. Better than ruining trousers though.

EnglishGent

Reaction score
Pocket of whatever pants I'm wearing.

RabbitChannel

Reaction score
We're told we must wear our lanyards and IDs at all times but nobody ever does. The only people who do so are staff members and the handful of students that wore them the first few days quickly realized that nobody was doing it and stopped. It didn't help that the lanyard was colored neon orange either.

I usually keep mine in my jacket pocket as I need it to pass security checkpoints and buy food. If I were forced to wear it, I'd probably use one of those retractable clips and attach it to my belt. Not really visible... but I'm wearing it and it's still within the rules!

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
bar-code-tattoo-49.jpg

- B

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads