• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do you wear a vest properly?

rxcowboy

Reaction score
I know this may seem like a dumb question but I really need some help here. I'm trying some new things style wise this fall and would like to work a vest into the equation.

Trouble is, I'm not really sure how to wear it best. I understand that it shouldn't be baggy or garrish, but I have a couple more questions.

1: Where should the bottom hit? Top of belt or below?

2: Can I wear a vest with a slim v-neck t-shirt?

3: I'd like to try a combination of less slim jeans (501), solid color v-neck t-shirt, vest, and a flat driver/newsboy cap. Does this should doable or will I probably look like a douche?

I know it's hard to tell without pics how something will look but any help/ideas would be much obliged.

brohymn

Reaction score
The correct way to wear a vest is by not wearing one at all
smile.gif

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
^we have a winner

fosho78

Reaction score
It's a little harder to pull of a vest than other things, but you should totally rock one if you feel comfortable in it. Make sure it's slim and doesn't hit below your belt though.

Go Surface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unless its made of real gorilla chest.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I plan on wearing a vest under a hoody. It looked bad-ass on an Urban Outfitters mannequin.
I'm hipster like that.

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In a three piece suit?

heyheyhey

Reaction score
Its very hard to rock that look actually. People seem to look either douchy or hipstery (a word?) in them, try Braidkid's WAYWT for some proper vest fits.

danilo

Reaction score
just look at pictures of models who wear them in sites like J.Crew...

you're best bet is to wear whatever you feel comfortable with and fits your style...

some people telling you not to wear anything aren't your age, don't live where you live, don't have your style, don't have your taste

do your thing and if anybody says anything to you in person (won't happen) give em a nose bleed

WhoKnewI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have this one vest from Jcrew that I wear now and then. It's blue washed twill and it has a cotton back. I usually just throw it on and I don't button it up, or sometimes just a few buttons. The extra pockets are usually pretty useful.

bsyde82

Reaction score
for those anti-vest/waistcoat ppl, i'm curious as to why you're against it? is it because it's been overly abused as a "trendy" thing ala the skinny tie?

i don't wear it, but I wouldn't be opposed to it in the right environment...i've seen some looks here and there that make it look pretty decent

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Originally Posted by danilo
just look at pictures of models who wear them in sites like J.Crew...

you're best bet is to wear whatever you feel comfortable with and fits your style...

some people telling you not to wear anything aren't your age, don't live where you live, don't have your style, don't have your taste

do your thing and if anybody says anything to you in person (won't happen) give em a nose bleed

Listen to this guy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads