• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do you wash your shirts?

How do you wash your shirts/pants?

• Launder at the Cleaners

Votes: 31 17.0%
  • Wash and Iron at Home

Votes: 153 84.1%

• Total voters

DrewMill

Reaction score
I've been debating the value between laundering my shirts/pants at the dry cleaner or washing and ironing my shirts/pants at home. I was curious what you all did. The way I see it it's a trade-off between the convenience of having someone else do it and the wear and tear. Let me know your vote!

Torulf

Reaction score
I see it as a trade-off between convenience and the gratification of taking care, on your own, of the things I care about. Doing this is meaningful and worthwhile.

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is an option missing. I normally wash and iron at home but take my shirts to the cleaners every 5-6 wears or so as they can bring additional life into the shirt. Found it's a good way to extend their life cycle.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There is an option missing. I normally wash and iron at home but take my shirts to the cleaners every 5-6 wears or so as they can bring additional life into the shirt. Found it's a good way to extend their life cycle.
I only wash mine every 5ish wears.

I hand wash wool pants, machine wash chinos etc

A Canuker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wash mine every third wear and air dry. I have a system of moving them around and switching the direction of the hanger to indicate which wear I am on, third time they go into a hamper.

I don't dry clean them and have never lost or broke a button, this alone makes me feel its worth the effort.

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wash my shirts after every wear. I soak in vinegar and scrub the collar and arm pits with oxyclean. I wash them on a warm cycle in the machine.

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wash my shirts after every wear. I soak in vinegar and scrub the collar and arm pits with oxyclean. I wash them on a warm cycle in the machine.

I do something similar but sub Fels Naptha in for the OxyClean, and I only do it every quarter or so. My shirts get sent out otherwise...

Torulf

Reaction score
I do something similar but sub Fels Naptha in for the OxyClean, and I only do it every quarter or so. My shirts get sent out otherwise...
Yeah, I’m on your wavelength man, Fels Naptha, where can I find that ****...

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I used octagon soap bars for years until they started getting too expensive on eBay. I’ve come to the realization that Oxyclean does a faster job in treating the shirts.

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oxyclean spray on collars and cuffs or just the powder in the wash? Or liquid detergent?

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used octagon soap bars for years until they started getting too expensive on eBay. I’ve come to the realization that Oxyclean does a faster job in treating the shirts.

Image result for oxiclean stick 1500 × 1500

I use this sometimes instead of the Fels Naptha.

Honestly, the biggest difference I've seen in my shirts is when I switched to an aerosol anti-perspirant and started using using a Clarisonic face scrubber on my neck. I dont really get any stains or discoloration anymore.

Aquafortis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Soak in clean bucket with some Laundress soap for 8-12 hours in lukewarm water to cool water. Darker colors separate from whites. Pre-treat collar and cuff dirt with stain bar or spray type stain treatment. After soaking - drain, lightly wring out, place each shirt individually into mesh laundering bag to keep buttons from cracking. Machine wash quick gentle cycle with extra rinse. Hang dry, hand iron. Ironing shirts for me is like a meditative escape from day-to-day household chaos of a toddler and four dogs.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads