• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do you use pomade?

sushijerk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I've never used any products in my hair since swearing off gel in junior high. However I work now and somtimes I just need to get bedhead under control fast.

I'm Asian and have rather dull and dry-ish hair (esp after washing) so someone recommended pomade for extra shine. I got some American Crew Pomade and was surprised by how thick and waxy it is. How much should I be using on short hair? Do you guys apply it to dry or wet hair? Should I mix some water into it before putting it on? Do I have to wash it out at the end of each day? Note that I am still going for a natural look, not full on slicked back like Elvis/Cash.

Also, any further product suggestions?

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am not understanding all of the gel hatred. Gel is great and can be used in many different situations and look good.

(Sorry, just needed to vent)

Anyway, if you like pomade, I would suggest damp to dry hair, not wet. Putting pomade in wet hair doesn't work all that well IMO (and the directions usually indicate that also).

When I get up in the morning, I usually wet my hair, towel dry it, and then put a small marble size of pomade or gel through my hair (short style). Don't mix water with the pomade unless you are using something like Aveda's control strips which require you to do so.

You don't have to wet the hair first. Some people like to wake up and put the pomade in immediately and go with the messy look. That is a bit too much for me but, whatever...

With too much pomade, your hair can get greasy and be 'slimy' to the touch (especially with American Crew). You won't need very much depending on the style. (mohawks and such obviously require more stuff with a stronger hold)

Finally, it's fine to let gel or pomade in your hair and not wash it for a day or so. The only bad thing will be the mess on your pillows.

When you wake up in the morning, spray some water in the hair and gel will re-activate itself. Or, in the morning, pomade will just require a little work (and maybe a little more pomade) to get the style going again.

kapay

Reaction score
Everything Tck said. Just wanna stress not using it on wet hair. Towel dry until damp and use sparingly.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Up until about 2 years ago, I used American Crew Pomade for several years. I still use it, but very sparingly now. I'm also Asian, but I have short hair. I used to put a bit in my palm, then add a little water, then rub my palms together to dilute the pomade. Apply to hair, repeat if more control is needed. I found pomade with a bit of water added was easier to apply evenly. At the end of a day, if I was lazy I'd quickly rinse my hair in the sink; although I did occasionally leave it on and my pillow wasn't greased up the next day.

mcflip

Reaction score
I used to rock Murray's which has the consistency of candle wax. I'd smear a tiny amount on my hands and run them under water that was as hot as I could stand so it wouldn't be so clumpy. That stuff is disgusting and would make a mess of my pillows.

I kind of got over my post-ironic grooming product phase and use Tigi's "Bed Head" stick. It's kind of like a stick of deodarant (but obviously made of hair wax) that you rub along your hair. I love it because it gives my hair the same texture and feel as if I haven't washed it in a week, minus the smelliness and nastiness. I'd suggest giving that a try.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
I used to rock the pomp and use quite a bit o grease to get the right effect, but nowadays i just use a very small dollop to hold down the sides, and use more of a creme (Garnier surf hair or Jonathan Dirt) for the top/front areas.

but if you do want to go Elvis, here's Pompadour 101

sushijerk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thx for the advice guys. I'll try them out.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
ed_wood.jpg

dean200.jpg

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sushijerk

I'm Asian and have rather dull and dry-ish hair (esp after washing) so someone recommended pomade for extra shine.

i also suggest you put some good hair conditioner after washing your hair

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Staff online

Forum statistics