1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

How do you talk to girls in the supermarket line?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by dusty, Apr 3, 2006.

1. dusty

dusty Senior member

Or anywhere else for that matter. I was at the grocery store today picking up a few things, and I saw this fine (fine) girl there. When I get to the U-Scan line, she gets in behind me. So I'm standing there trying to think of something to say to her (not paying attention to the line) and finally the girl leans in and tells me there's an opening at one of the registers. So not only do I not talk to her, also I'm an idiot. WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?

2. mack11211

mack11211 Senior member

"If I had a coupon for myself, I'd give it to you."

I actually used this line in a supermarket in Austin, with success. It was very late at night and I was using it on a guy, but perhaps it would work for you in your situation as well.

3. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

Was there some sort of context for the line, mack, or was it out of the blue?

4. Renault78law

Renault78law Senior member

compliment her melons

5. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Discuss what she is buying. Perhaps you can make a recommendation, e.g. if she is buying the freshly squeezed orange juice ask her if she's tried the orange-pineapple blend as it cuts down on the sweetness of the orange, producing a more balanced flavor profile.

6. sam

sam Senior member

Make a situational joke. If she has beer and ice cream in her hand, "Just the essentials, huh?" Or if her cart is full of carrots and lettuce, "A health nut? We would never get along." If nothing comes to mind, extend your hand, "Hi, dusty."

7. Aaron

Aaron Senior member

Discuss what she is buying. Perhaps you can make a recommendation, e.g. if she is buying the freshly squeezed orange juice ask her if she's tried the orange-pineapple blend as it cuts down on the sweetness of the orange, producing a more balanced flavor profile.
    Oh Kent, you're awesome...

As hackneyed and cliched as this is the biggest thing for me is to be confident (note: this may be a case of faking it till you make it). When I go up to an attractive girl alone I still shit my pants and have to control my breathing and look calm and confident (it doesn't always work). You just want to make eye contact, be friendly, and say something as simple as "Hey." Maybe from there, you start joking about her melons, or the flavour profile of her orange/pineapple blend, whatever. You just want to get used to talking to strangers. If you do it enough, in all social situations, you become more relaxed about the whole ordeal, and thus become more confident. The only caution I can throw your way is there is a fine line between confident and creepy. If I had more time I would post a hiliarious story. Good luck!

A.

8. polarbear

polarbear Well-Known Member

Or anywhere else for that matter. I was at the grocery store today picking up a few things, and I saw this fine (fine) girl there. When I get to the U-Scan line, she gets in behind me. So I'm standing there trying to think of something to say to her (not paying attention to the line) and finally the girl leans in and tells me there's an opening at one of the registers. So not only do I not talk to her, also I'm an idiot. WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?

When she told you there was an opening you should have said "sorry, i wasn't paying attention--i was trying to think of something witty to say to you". Usually, this sort of meta-situational stuff works pretty well, provided you're affable enough and can carry on a decent conversation once you're passed it...

9. mack11211

mack11211 Senior member

We had been cruising each other in the aisles for a bit before we spoke. But it was one of my first lines, if not the first.

It was also after midnight.

[singing] "I go shopping/after midnight..."

The late hour gave me a 'what the hell' attitude, which helped.

What will give you the strength to say something is thinking how little you have to lose.

10. mack11211

mack11211 Senior member

Perhaps I was also thinking of this:

What thoughts I have of you tonight, Walt Whitman, for I walked

down the sidestreets under the trees with a headache self-conscious looking

at the full moon.

In my hungry fatigue, and shopping for images, I went into the neon

fruit supermarket, dreaming of your enumerations!

What peaches and what penumbras! Whole families shopping at

night! Aisles full of husbands! Wives in the avocados, babies in the tomatoes!

--and you, GarcÃa Lorca, what were you doing down by the watermelons?

I saw you, Walt Whitman, childless, lonely old grubber, poking

among the meats in the refrigerator and eyeing the grocery boys.

I heard you asking questions of each: Who killed the pork chops?

What price bananas? Are you my Angel?

I wandered in and out of the brilliant stacks of cans following you,

and followed in my imagination by the store detective.

We strode down the open corridors together in our solitary fancy

tasting artichokes, possessing every frozen delicacy, and never passing the

cashier.

Where are we going, Walt Whitman? The doors close in a hour.

Which way does your beard point tonight?

(I touch your book and dream of our odyssey in the supermarket and

feel absurd.)

Will we walk all night through solitary streets? The trees add shade

to shade, lights out in the houses, we'll both be lonely.

Will we stroll dreaming of the lost America of love past blue automo-

biles in driveways, home to our silent cottage?

Ah, dear father, graybeard, lonely old courage-teacher, what America

did you have when Charon quit poling his ferry and you got out on a

smoking bank and stood watching the boat disappear on the black waters of

Lethe?

"A Supermarket in California," by Allen Ginsberg. Written around the same time as HOWL.

11. Matt

Matt Senior member

Discuss what she is buying
    "tampax huh? you dont find them uncomfortable on extraction?"

12. Nick M

Nick M Senior member

"tampax huh? you dont find them uncomfortable on extraction?"
    "So you just take that one pill and you don't have thrush anymore? Will wonders never cease?"

13. Arethusa

Arethusa Senior member

When she told you there was an opening you should have said "sorry, i wasn't paying attention--i was trying to think of something witty to say to you". Usually, this sort of meta-situational stuff works pretty well, provided you're affable enough and can carry on a decent conversation once you're passed it...
    I was going to suggest the same thing. Really, it's an awkward situation. There's no way around it. Just acknowledge that and go. It's the only way to deal with it that isn't going to be incredibly contrived.

14. Mr.Perdition

Mr.Perdition Well-Known Member

Easy one. There is always a stack of tabloids by the checkout (Star, National Enquirer, etc.). Take any random story and make a witty, somewhat jaded joke about it: "Would you look at that...The center of the earth really IS colonized by aliens. Who knew?" "Hmmm...Brad Pitt caught with a tranny prostitute. You'd think he'd learn." This gets her to smile, and, if you're lucky and she has a great sense of humor, she'll join in. Of course, be able to hold a conversation after you break the ice.

15. countdemoney

countdemoney Senior member

This is where your knowledge of Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes gleaned from style forum can prove invaluable.

Seriously, everything suggested is good advice. Supermarkets are great for "shopping".

Haven't you heard of the Social Safeway?

http://www.talesofthecity.com/totc_t...70_serial.html

And don't forget the Clash, "Lost in the Supermarket".

16. 1984

1984 Member

Don't you just hate it when that happens, that has happen to me too.

17. kennethpollock

kennethpollock Senior member

I have always heard that girls are attracted to helpless men. A good one: "Do you know where they keep the toast?"

18. Fabienne

Fabienne Senior member

Got that one last night at Marsh: "Anything new and exciting in your life?" Jetlagged as I was, I gave a faint smile and blandly answered: "No, not really."

19. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

"Hey, what's up?", or "How are you doing?" If she is interested, or at least wants to chat, she'll talk to you. Otherwise, you'll get Fabienne's response. Either way, no big deal.

20. Fabienne

Fabienne Senior member

What I get most in the US are comments on what I am buying: "What will you be preparing with these?", "Yum, I can tell someone's going to be very lucky tonight", or "How do you prepare XYZ?". Sometimes, if they hear me talk and are perceptive "Do I detect an accent?". A few times, comment on the way I dress, especially if a piece is a bit unusual: "You didn't buy this skirt here, did you?", "That's an extraordinary sweater", etc.

In France, the approach is typically wittier, designed to get you off balance. This male cashier recently asked me: "Do you enjoy jogging?" Me: Euh, no, not particularly, why? "Because you forgot to price your apples" (in France, you weigh your fruit and veggies before getting to the cashier)

While purchasing a bottle of Montbazillac, the customer behind me, upon hearing me tell the cashier I intended to cook with the Montbazillac suggested I cook with his bottle of vodka, and we share the Montbazillac.
    A few jokes went back and forth on the vodka/culinary theme.

In the end, I think it all depends on the mood, receptivity and sense of humor of the lady in question, so nobody should feel they have failed in any way if they get somewhat of a cold shoulder.